The college football bacchanal era

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
We are only half way through the hiring/firing/resigning season, and if anything is evident, it is that big time college football is big time money. To be clear, I am not talking about Mt. St Mary college, but the P5 programs. If you step back for a moment and realize the sums of money that is being thrown around. $10 million buyouts are pushed aside with not even a recognition to hire someone for $70 million, that's not including the ballooning staff salaries where coordinators are making million dollar salaries. I'm sorry, someone will have to specifically outline to me how "college football programs are all running at a deficit". If they are running at a deficit, then how do they come up with these exponentially growing $$s? Given these $ amounts that are coming from the game, why shouldn't players at these programs not get paid something more than just their scholarship?
In my opinion, big time college football is getting dangerously close to a commercialized product like the NFL. Not sure there is a way to put the genie back in the bottle. I really envision a college "league" made up of the P5 teams, conferences being eliminated, a commissioner hired, tv contracts and endorsement deals, playoffs and a "super bowl". Maybe its just a burrito I ate last night....

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good "take" on the issues. Thanks for sharing....

The money being thrown away is obscene..

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Title IX

You won't be able to just pay football. It would be challenged immediately. Not gonna happen.

Another observation. Football pays for everybody else. Most schools break even. This isn't the greatest accounting scam of all-time. The money is funneled into other programs. It's math.

And lastly...ratings. I haven't seen any recent ones but if the NFL is a look to the future you could see these huge payouts drop as viewership and attendance decline.

Just food for thought.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
someone will have to specifically outline to me how "college football programs are all running at a deficit". If they are running at a deficit, then how do they come up with these exponentially growing $$s

They're taking it from our natty-champ other sports = baseball, track & field, softball, tennis, gymnastics, etc... I mean the FB coaches' monies come from the fact that our competitive repetitive National Champ coaches take such small salaries. [just spoofin' y'all]
I believe the CFB salaries are obscene in that they belie the idea of a college being mainly an institution of higher learning. My judgement: We should throw the book at coaches and FB players = paging all jocks?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
In my opinion, big time college football is getting dangerously close to a commercialized product like the NFL.
This just now occurred to you?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The second effect is more subtle. The boosters are no longer a prime source of income for the universities. TV money and product sales are king.

I know it hurts the boosters feelings, but they are at best third banana.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
We are only half way through the hiring/firing/resigning season, and if anything is evident, it is that big time college football is big time money. To be clear, I am not talking about Mt. St Mary college, but the P5 programs. If you step back for a moment and realize the sums of money that is being thrown around. $10 million buyouts are pushed aside with not even a recognition to hire someone for $70 million, that's not including the ballooning staff salaries where coordinators are making million dollar salaries. I'm sorry, someone will have to specifically outline to me how "college football programs are all running at a deficit". If they are running at a deficit, then how do they come up with these exponentially growing $$s? Given these $ amounts that are coming from the game, why shouldn't players at these programs not get paid something more than just their scholarship?
In my opinion, big time college football is getting dangerously close to a commercialized product like the NFL. Not sure there is a way to put the genie back in the bottle. I really envision a college "league" made up of the P5 teams, conferences being eliminated, a commissioner hired, tv contracts and endorsement deals, playoffs and a "super bowl". Maybe its just a burrito I ate last night....

You’ve made good points. For me, the beginning of the end was the CFB playoffs. It made it too much like the NFL and will most likely continue to do so by expanding the # of teams that get in. I know some, if not many, like the playoff format and will disagree with me but I was happy with the old way of doing via polls and the BCS and I’d fine going back to those days...although I know that will never happen.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And lastly...ratings. I haven't seen any recent ones but if the NFL is a look to the future you could see these huge payouts drop as viewership and attendance decline.

Just for a little ratings perspective: "The American public is so fed up that 7 of the 9 highest-rated shows this weekend were NFL games."

Ratings are down, but mostly because (a) a lot of the games stink, (b) some games weren't carried because of a dispute between DISH and CBS, and (c) ratings for everything are down, as viewing options are changing so rapidly and radically (it's amazing how many people have given up broadcast TV entirely, for Hulu/Amazon/Netflix/etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator