The Comeback...that almost wasn't!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going to apologize for a few things before getting started: First to L-boy, as some of this could probably fit in your post-game thread; second to the GC members nice enough to read for a somewhat negative title ( but dammit there were a lot of negatives today!); and third to the women and children and any other hyper-sensitive Gator "fans" for any profanity, offensive non-PC opinions, and my version of football truth.

Now that I've got that out of the way I'll start by saying we probably had no business winning that game based on the way we played for all but the chronological duration of the final TD drive, and I'm including in the sh!tty play on the final defensive series. The defense made a few big plays, but were atrocious for the greater part of the game, primarily because they likely missed twice or three times as many tackles as they actually made! Gator Mac (and others) addressed this in L-boy's thread, so others have noticed. We've seen this prior to this afternoon, but today was the pinnacle. I said last week that if we play like this against LSU, Fournette will clinch the Heisman against us. I'm going to add that he'll also probably severely injure several of our defenders. Collins will get the blame for this unit and how they played, and rightfully so, but part goes to the players themselves. This grabbing BS, half-@ss pursuit angles, false steps by LBs/Safeties, playing high as a camel c0ck, and generally waiting for somebody else to make a play much of the time is not Gator defense and I can only hope and pray that this is straightened out, and soon. But who am I kidding? The way the rules have been adjusted, this type of horse manure happens more now than it ever did and will likely continue. What has my beloved defensive football become?

Offensively, it starts with Grier, who went from sugar to sh!t and back to sugar (thank goodness). He's going to have to be more consistent, more patient, and be able to slow the passing game down enough so that he can accurately read pre-snap what the coverages (and blitzes) will be and quickly process where the ball must go. On the positive side, our final drive might be one we remember for a long time and two plays showed us where he is and where I think he is heading. The TD toss to Powell was both timely and a great throw, especially considering that he released the ball close enough to his out cut that the defender couldn't make a play on it and only a few plays before we ran essentially the same play and held the ball until Powell was well into his cut and the defender was able to make an easy break up. Kudos are deserved for Calloway (our Go-To guy?), McGee, Powell, and Taylor. None, however, for Nussmeier. A lot of predictable and pedestrian calls, but perhaps that belies the cumulative inexperience of our offensive personnel and the heretofore unwillingness of some of the skills to step up? Also, the 4th down efficiency was phenomenal!

Mac might not have had his best day, either. Easy to second-guess some of his decisions, though he followed the cook book on the final FG attempt and it is easy armchair that one at 00:00. Might should have challenged the "fumble" by the UT back on the bench route that was ruled an incompletion. Truthfully, this might be an indicator of just what a huge job he has putting this team back together and growing them into a championship caliber team.

Alright, I've vented and as I reflect I'm not unhappy by any means that we won. As bad as it looked for most of the game, it was a win we needed (if not HOW we needed it to happen). Myself and the rest of us should, I suppose, remember that this team was predicted by many to only win seven games by the pundits and amateurs alike. Well, we haven't won seven yet, but we're over half way there and snatched victory from the jaws of a heated rival, thereby extending our streak over them to eleven and sending Butch Jones (who incidentally reminds me of McCauly Culkin's older brother in Home Alone) back to the drawing board (and the liquor store) yet again. I'll be looking for improvement in all phases the next time we tee it up. That would be a great indicator of how the team is actually maturing and the job the staff is doing. Go Gators!

"Don't call it a Comeback
I've been here for years
I'm rockin' my peers
Puttin' suckers in fear
Makin' the tears rain down like a monsoon
Listen to the bass go Boom
Explosions, overpowerin'
Over the competition I'm towerin'..."

LL Cool J, arguably describing where we were and where we are trying to get back to!

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Great piece. Agree with everything here.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm with you old Gator...

We won and that's sweet but we didn't deserve to win.

The Football God's smiled on the Gators today or they shat on Tennessee!

Result is the same.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think some people are expecting more from a team that began its descent in talent during Meyer's last year. We are what we are, yet we have a lot of kids who want to win and want to bring the Gators back to the top. It's going to take time and these young guys need experience. I'm ecstatic that we showed grit and determination to come back and win. 4-0 baby and 11 in a row over the Vols. That's what matters right now.

Still, good post cover2, I'm just nowhere near ready to start the overanalyzing.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Can't argue with anything you said. Still in disbelief that we won, but I'm elated that we did!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks guys. I speak from a coach's heart. Ancient, I'm into all the Gator games, but it hurt me to see us tackle so poorly. That's just not winning football. No Friends, I am happy to have the W, but disgusted with much of our play. Still, it says a little about our spirit that we were able to smash through a very tiny window of opportunity and grab an improbable victory. If my piece was over-analytical, then so be it. I tend to view a game as if I have a headset on and review them as if I'm responsible for the product that was on the field. Old habits die hard!

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Excellent posts, Cover2, as always. The missed tackles drove me nuts tonight, but I am thrilled (and still shocked) that we won.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mehhh, I agree with what you said, Coach. However, a win is a win. Good coaches win games like this. We knew we would take our lumps with a weak OL and young QBs. Even if we go 0 for October again, I have become more convinced we are heading in the right direction and have the right head coach.

We knew we hired a DC with a history of giving up big yards and who was inheriting a unit that is soft as a pillow up the middle and lacking depth.

Start of something great? Or harbinger of a team and staff that "doesn't deserve to win" and won't in the future. I hope it's the former but I wear orange and blue goggles.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ancient Reptile;n286275 said:
Wow! Cover I have never seen you so into a game.
He is always into the game, but I suspect he was a defensive coach. He gets way more offended at poor defense than poor offense.

I always felt the offense would be at best a work in progress. You just don't field OLs with three freshmen in the SEC. Honestly I think Summers is doing a helluva a job so far, despite the line being poor most of the time.

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Grier has to learn to look off his receivers and check down. He stares down way too much.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good analysis Cover. I agree with most of what you said. We did not play very good at all, yet we never gave up and pulled out the win by the skin of our teeth. The poor tackling stands out the most to me. The good thing is that everything that we did poorly tonight is correctable and I believe that this staff can fix it. Time will tell if I am right or not.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Everything I'm watching right now is being graded on a different scale than championship seasons. I'm looking for potential and I see tons of it. The thing that worries me most is special teams. We sorta stink at special teams. Even on booming Townsend punts, we let them get a big return. Every time we break one, there is a penalty. Heck for that matter every time we return the ball there seems to be a penalty. Our FG game is non-existant. We give up lots of long returns. We haven't come close to blocking a kick. I used to look forward to ST play because we had some many game changing moments, now I just hope something terrible doesn't happen.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree, Zambo. Hence my reference to all phases when looking for improvements next game. Spec Teams are generally made up of younger players or non-starters in many cases who are looking to make an impact in their contributions for the team and impress their coaches and teammates. At first glance, the guys wo comprise these units, especially the coverage teams, don't seem to play with the aforementioned mindset and aren't consistently physical enough. Hence getting knocked out of their lanes and getting blocked and staying blocked too often. The return units may be the more aggressive of these teams if blocking penalties are used as evidence. They, too, however are wildly inconsistent. Hardin may be the poster child of this groups dysfunctionality. He seems to resemble a golfer that has developed the shanks or the yips rather than a football player. I thought he was in a better place this year, but alas it was momentary. Hope he recovers.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I just can't take anything away from us...we made plays when we had to. No more no less. Sorry...I'm gonna savor this piece of football filet mignon for a day before I even think about what went wrong.

Go freaking Gators!!!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
At least our ST are better than Texas! They lose last week on a missed XP at the end, and they lose this week after the punter drops the snap deep in his own end.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This dude abides.
sam-elliott-o.gif

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
cover2 said:
Spec Teams are generally made up of younger players or non-starters in many cases who are looking to make an impact in their contributions for the team and impress their coaches and teammates. At first glance, the guys wo comprise these units, especially the coverage teams, don't seem to play with the aforementioned mindset and aren't consistently physical enough. Hence getting knocked out of their lanes and getting blocked and staying blocked too often. The return units may be the more aggressive of these teams if blocking penalties are used as evidence. They, too, however are wildly inconsistent.
We have so many freshmen playing due to lack of depth. Guys who should just now be getting ST time are on the field as 1s or 2s. Frankly we have guys on STs that shouldn't be on 1a scholarships.

Depth will fix this. The Jeremi Powells and Latroy Pittmans of the world aren't going to change.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MissouriGator;n286382 said:
Whatever. The Swamp is back!! These guys gutted out a win. Appreciate it.
I had a whole list of 'written' grievances before the comeback (as I'm sure most die-hard Gator fans did) - I burned mine in the fire pit, but I still remember them. I am appreciating this victory, but the realist in me also says that this young team has a long way to go. I'll party tonight and I hope the kids enjoy it for a couple of days. Then the coaches will show them the film and reality will kick in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator