The Defense

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't see a thread on this, but wanted to talk about a couple things specific to the D that really bothered me.

1. Lack of preparation. I think this is a coaching issue and it is clear that Collins needs to go or at least get demoted and maybe give Randy a shot at DC. - How were we not prepared for the read option? How is that possible? That is what Tennessee does! I think our defensive gameplan was to focus on keeping Dobbs in the pocket (fine) and not really focus on making sure we played the read option well. He gained at least 5 yards every time he ran the ball!

2. Pressure on the QB. We got pressure on the QB in the first half, but Tennessee made adjustments and then Dobbs had all day. If you are going to go man to man you can't let a QB sit back there because even the best CBs will get beaten. I felt we needed to blitz more, but didn't see much of it.

3. Secondary play... not sure what to say here that hasn't already been said... no UF DB should ever think #DBU again until they figure this out. No excuse for the horrible play.

Bottom line is that it is clear that Collins is not the guy. I don't see any reason why we don't give Shannon a shot at being DC. Then at the end of the year we can determine if he is worth keeping at that position.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
The main thing that bothered me is that we didn't seem to have a true spy on him, and when we did have someone shadowing him, it was Davis, who instead of spying, just bullrushed the center, giving Dobbs a running lane between either guard and tackle. It was pretty dumb.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Too small up the middle. Too small up the middle. Way too small up the middle. Those are the three biggest problems we have.

Our DTs can only play one gap so our LBs have to cheat up to cover 2 or three of the gaps and safeties have to cover them. LBs and safeties will get beat bc of this and CBs are always on an island.

The Saban defense requires three big two gappers. The dont have to sack, the buck or LBs do that, but they have to control two gaps and demand double teams.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
ATX, I thought the D played poorly all game. If not for some drops by UT I think the score is much closer at the half. We were lucky to be up like we were. The D was way overrated with their number one ranking. We played the 157th rated schedule and it showed.

I think it was almost 600 yards of offense they gave up.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
ATX, I thought the D played poorly all game. If not for some drops by UT I think the score is much closer at the half. We were lucky to be up like we were. The D was way overrated with their number one ranking. We played the 157th rated schedule and it showed.

I think it was almost 600 yards of offense they gave up.

I agree we were lucky, but they did make some nice stops down at the goal line. They played OK, but you definitely saw the risk in the first half because of the drops.

I agree we were overrated and I think playing such a soft schedule gave them false confidence and didn't show the flaws they needed to fix.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
That defense was exposed and UT laid the blueprint for any team w/ a decent offense to score on it.

Arkansas, Missouri & FSU have offenses that can beat this defense. UGA has a few more weeks to get their sh*t together before they play us and could be a problem if they use UT's blueprint. LSU has issues, but Fournette ran all over us last year (180+ yards).

The biggest issue, IMO, is the DBs need to STFU! The DBU thing is played and worn out. You're not "DBU" when you give up the plays they give up....and they did it last year too. They made, now benched at LSU, Harris look like an All-SEC QB last year! No one "avoids" Tabor's side of the field, that's a joke. The whole secondary is a joke!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator