The definition of Hero-GQ Coverman

Discussion in 'Politics' started by crosscreekcooter, Nov 13, 2017.

1. crosscreekcooter

crosscreekcooter Cunning Linguist

Oxbucks:
    $68
    Ratings:
    +4,172 / -5
    https://www.gq.com/story/colin-kaepernick-cover-men-of-the-year

[​IMG]

Celebrating the man who became a movement.

Much has changed in the four years since Colin Kaepernick was last on the cover of GQ. Back then he was a rippling superhero of a quarterback on the rise. But a simple act—kneeling during the national anthem—changed everything. It cost him his job. It also transformed Colin Kaepernick into a lightning rod and a powerful symbol of activism and resistance.

Though Colin Kaepernick continues his silent protest, he agreed to collaborate with GQ on a special project for our December Men of the Year issue in an effort to, as the piece explains, "reclaim the narrative of his protest." He helped us assemble a ten-person team of his closest confidants—including rapper J.Cole, director Ava DuVernay, activist Harry Belafonte, and Women’s March co-organizer Linda Sarsour—to speak on the subjects of activism, protest, and equality, and to offer some rare insights into Colin Kaepernick himself.

Paired with the piece are inspiring images by Martin Schoeller, who photographed Kaepernick in Harlem, intending to evoke the spirit of Muhammad Ali’s anti-Vietnam War protests in the neighborhood during the late 60s.

[​IMG]

2. NavetG8r

NavetG8r Stupid

Oxbucks:
    $472
    Ratings:
    +9,305 / -61
    I saw that this morning and almost puked.

3. T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $110
    Ratings:
    +4,480 / -200
    The socks? The Castro shirt?

GQ: the new toilet paper

4. NetEngGator

NetEngGator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $333
    Ratings:
    +384 / -16
    F@ck him.

5. I Have No Friends :(

I Have No Friends :( F$U fans support rape
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $39
    Ratings:
    +1,283 / -5
  6. Durty South Swamp

Durty South Swamp doodley doodley doo!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $250
    Ratings:
    +8,860 / -51
    what a cum dumpster, and i mean that negatively...

7. g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $112
    Ratings:
    +2,942 / -7
    CK's escapades aside, I can think of dozens of men more deserving.

8. Gator Fever

Gator Fever Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $75
    Ratings:
    +4,050 / -57
    The left shows they could care less about anything hardly but promoting their twisted perverted agenda.

9. divits

divits A Muffin of the Studly Variety
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $146
    Ratings:
    +7,344 / -21
    Newsweek, And GQ were once left leaning but lately they've fallen off the leftie cliff. Anything in an effort to remain in the public eye. That said, the only people who read GQ are gay guys and faghags.

10. Windy City Gator

Windy City Gator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $28
    Ratings:
    +102 / -16
    I chuckle at the responses at someone who wants to exercise his 1st amendment rights. I don't like lunatics like Sean Hannity who defend child molesters, but that doesn't mean that he should not be allowed to voice his opinions on American culture. I agree with what someone else wrote that there are probably more deserving ppl out there, like the guys who killed the guy in Tx last week.

I remember a law class I took at UF to graduate in Journalism. It was Law of Mass Communications. BEST class by far I ever took. I learned so much about tolerance and listening to what other's had to say. Like draft card burning, flag burning, a guy who wore a denim jacket that said "F*** the Draft" ....all things I would not personally do. But the number one thing I did learn is that political speech is the most protected form of speech in the 1st amendment. Just like you have the right to criticize him. As long as it does not slander, libel, incite a riot, etc. Protected speech. LOVE IT!!!!

The day that we do not allow ppl to voice their opinions is the day I move from the US. This magazine's job is to sell copies and get ppl talking. Looks like it worked. :)

11. crosscreekcooter

crosscreekcooter Cunning Linguist

Oxbucks:
    $68
    Ratings:
    +4,172 / -5
    GQ and CK make a great team

12. stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $80
    Ratings:
    +4,143 / -187
    getting close to the edge of swimming upstream and getting that "torrent" of correcting language..........careful my friend.......

13. TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $63
    Ratings:
    +3,747 / -28
    These "award" winners are just to sell magazines. This will sell magazines due to relevant news. Honestly Kapernick should think Trump and members of the right media for keeping him relevant, so that he still sells.

14. Scott512

Scott512 Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $24
    Ratings:
    +726 / -9
    A great ...last place team! ;)

15. divits

divits A Muffin of the Studly Variety
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $146
    Ratings:
    +7,344 / -21
    Yeah, I don't think anyone's got a problem with his right to free speech. That's the fairy tale that a lot of people like to lazily throw out there. Like you apparently. He can say the Virgin Mary is a whore if he wants. But he sure as $h!t isn't free of the consequences that go with it.

16. AlexDaGator

AlexDaGator The Hammer of Thor
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $61
    Ratings:
    +6,692 / -10
    No bigger fan of the First Amendment than me.

But that applies to the government chilling your speech. Not private entities. If I want to be a Nazi, the government can’t stop me. If my private sector employer wants to fire me because they don’t like Nazis, they can (and should).

The NFL can fine a player for wearing the wrong color shoes. They passed a rule stopping Timmy from putting Bible verses on his eye Black.

If CK was a Nazi, would the NFL have to let him give the Nazi salute during the National Anthem? If they stopped him, would they be violating his First Amendment rights? Of course not. To both. So if you can stop a Nazi salute, you can stop a Black Power salute...and you can stop kneeling.

So stop with the First Amendment BS.

Next question, SHOULD the NFL allow CK to kneel? That’s a business decision for the NFL. The flag and the National Anthem represent what? Police brutality against unarmed Black men? Uhh, no. They represent the United States of America. All of us. Our nation. Our collective national identity. Protesting those things seems misdirected, no? The protest will continue until what exactly happens???

You can argue that CK doesn’t MEAN it that way but I see it as disrespecting our Nation. You can argue that my opinion doesn’t matter. It’s all about CK’s intent and not the effect on little ole me.

OK. Well, let’s say I’m a proud Southerner who wants to display the Confederate flag. Heritage, not hate. In your eyes, that flag represents racism and slavery. But your opinion doesn’t matter because I don’t mean it that way. I don’t intend my display to be supportive of slavery and racism so you just need to accept it.

Can’t have it both ways.

Alex.