The disrespect is real: No Gators RB in the Top 50

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Ignore anything Abolverdi predicts. Davis had a quick recovery and could have played in the spring. Malik is 99.9% heart and runs like it. I was stunned at how good he was last year after that goal line faux pas.

Thanks for that!

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
If I never see Perine touch the rock again, it’ll be too soon. Probably not fair to him but it was exceedingly obvious that Davis was much better than him last year. My frustration has more to do with Nuss/Mac giving Perine carries that should’ve been for Davis than Perine’s mediocre running ability. Still, if Davis is available and Scarlett stays out of trouble, there’s absolutely no reason Perine should be in the game unless he’s on special teams.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was going to guess Perine's 40 time was clearly behind the other two. Not so. Perine ran a 4.6 and Davis a 4.57, although anyone with a set of eyes can see who the better back is.

Scarlett on the other hand is seriously fast, supposedly clocked at 4.34 in 2015. You can't logically keep a guy like that off the field.

My guess is we see a lot of Scarlett and Davis and not as much of Perine, which would be fine with me. I think after Scarlett, Davis and Toney -- and whomever lines up behind center -- there aren't many touches left.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
40 times in pajamas are meaningless. Are you fast in pads? Are you explosive in pads? Are you quick thru the opening? Just think back to Demps, Rainey and Harvins (nod to Nat Moore) in pads on the football field? I rest my case.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
40 times in pajamas are meaningless. Are you fast in pads? Are you explosive in pads? Are you quick thru the opening? Just think back to Demps, Rainey and Harvins (nod to Nat Moore) in pads on the football field? I rest my case.
Take my comment on an all-things-being-equal basis. I commented yesterday about Scarlett being more of a slasher and Davis being shiftier and surprisingly tough to bring down for his size. I think there's room for both styles in our backfield, in fact I know there is.

That said, given what I remember of Scarlett from the previous two seasons coupled with his speed, which at that differential is meaningful, pads or not, I think he'll see the ball the most out of the three.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Mullen needs to print that list and put it on the wall in the locker room.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im shocked that people are shocked.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Take my comment on an all-things-being-equal basis. I commented yesterday about Scarlett being more of a slasher and Davis being shiftier and surprisingly tough to bring down for his size. I think there's room for both styles in our backfield, in fact I know there is.

That said, given what I remember of Scarlett from the previous two seasons coupled with his speed, which at that differential is meaningful, pads or not, I think he'll see the ball the most out of the three.

Don't see that myself. One of Scarlett's issues was he didn't have many long runs. That is surprising if he really runs a sub 4.4 because his runs are usually shorter ones where he breaks a tackle to get some yards. Davis appeared to have much better football speed which included the shiftiness and decent power for his size.

I would think if Davis is 100‰ Scarlett would only be as good an option right at the goal line maybe.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Don't see that myself. One of Scarlett's issues was he didn't have many long runs. That is surprising if he really runs a sub 4.4 because his runs are usually shorter ones where he breaks a tackle to get some yards. Davis appeared to have much better football speed which included the shiftiness and decent power for his size.

I would think if Davis is 100‰ Scarlett would only be as good an option right at the goal line maybe.

Davis is by far the quickest back we’ve had in a long time at seeing and accelerating through a hole. That minimizes the line’s weaknesses. They don’t have to hold their blocks as long and missed blocks aren’t as important if he’s already gone. And when he’s gone, it’s huge.

Scarlett’s power helps him get through tighter gaps, but his big breakaways tend to be 15-20 yard runs. Same deal with Perine.

I’m excited to see Lemons and the freshmen, but that will require the offense to stay on the field and the defense to get them the ball.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

He ran it at the Nike SPARQ high school recruiting combine in Oregon. Here he is running a 4.38 at the same event.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...881543/2014-sparq-combine-results-the-opening

943edb4d53e3cb9888799ed71b06673e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb