The extremely positive Basketball thread

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good to see them grind one out like they did today. Lot of season left but you have to like what we're seeing thus far.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Haven't watched a game this year and couldn't name a single player but I'm not a fan of this coach.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The team is playing really well. They almost beat a very good Gonzaga team. Played Duke tough for most of the game and played FSU tough on the road.

The beat Arkansas and Bama on the road and road wins are always tough.

Are the going to win the tournament. No. Is the team improved and playing better in White's second year? Absolutely

This team and program is trending upward. Great job so far by White

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I like White...so far and he seems to be doing a good job. I'm really waiting to see what he can do with his recruits. Our guard play is keeping this team from being alot better offensively. Low post play is damn near non-existent which is puzzling since Egbunu should be destroying people inthe paint. I know this has been said over and over but Kasey Hill never settled into his role and frankly, hasn't been able to understand his job at the point and Chiozza is just bad. Both seem to think they need to lead the team in scoring and Hill was hanging his head after he missed the FT at the end of regulation. Sr leaders don't do that. We certainly can make the tourney and maybe the sweet 16 as is. If Hill gets his head out of the butt and embraces his strengths it could be better than that.........IMO!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No surprise there aren't too many responses to this thread. Why?

There's a simple answer to that. They haven't watched enough of the current product to feel confident they can make an informed comment. I'm one of them.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I gotta say I like the Boss and his positivity...........MikeW is just beginning his UF career and followed a damned HOFer. Whoever thought UF would get a HOF basketball coach? Mike has big shoes to fill. I think the fella is doing a damned good job. I wonder if talks to Billy sometimes. I hope so.
I know he said he did quite a bit in the beginning but idk if he still does. It doesn't happen very often that someone succeeds after following a hofer but it does happen. Bill self has done a better job than roy williams at Kansas is one that comes to mind. I think white is doing a fun job with this group.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
The team is playing really well. They almost beat a very good Gonzaga team. Played Duke tough for most of the game and played FSU tough on the road.

The beat Arkansas and Bama on the road and road wins are always tough.

Are the going to win the tournament. No. Is the team improved and playing better in White's second year? Absolutely

This team and program is trending upward. Great job so far by White

Won't win the tourney? Never know bro, who saw Cuse making a run like they did last year? This is a top 15 squad which means we are legit contenders. Anything can happen in March :grin:

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
So far in what I have been able to watch I think he's doing a good job. We are winning the games we should and while we are loosing to higher ranked teams, we are in the game late until their talent takes over.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We are # 3 in RPI now despite no real big win because our SOS is # 2 overall but that will drop quite a bit as the season goes on probably due to the SEC only schedule being ranked way lower in SOS right now. We are the # 1 SOS right now in out of conference play.

Our RPI right now is currently better than every team we lost to and is one spot in front of Kentucky. Despite all that if we can finish with a good record and split with KY we should get a real nice seed. If we end up with a real good record but no big signature win I think they will punish us with a seed well lower than what our rankings in the polls would suggest. We just need to take care of business against KY at home.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There's a simple answer to that. They haven't watched enough of the current product to feel confident they can make an informed comment. I'm one of them.
I've not seen a lot of them either, but I know they're winning, and that's good enough for me right now!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The key to predicting tournament worthiness is to watch the play-styles of potential opponent teams.
Those seem much faster, crisper passers, guards good drive finishers, more accurate shooters (FGs & FTs).
I like our team, but I want those deficits improved upon. There should be some offensive dominance inside.
Stone looks like a solid development; let's develop more.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I've not seen a lot of them either, but I know they're winning, and that's good enough for me right now!

Well if you have not seen UF this year, I would think when you do,

1. I think you will like Barry a good bit. I am a bit less positive on him than some others, but he is a very good offensive threat inside the arc and pretty good shooter from deep, but not a great 3 point shooter. He has defensive liabilities.

2. The story of the season as far as I am concerned so far is that Stone has been every bit of what we have heard during his redshirt season. He is a stretch four who is really long and well put together but not as muscular looking a Young or Egbunu.

3. Another story of this team is the ineffectiveness of Egbunu on offense. I have been saying he maybe is coming back slowly from his thumb injury. A counter argument to that is that his rebounding is up and that takes hand strength. His offensive rebounding percentage, defensive rebounding percentage and block percentage are all up.

4. Robinson appeared to have taken a step forward in consistency, but has hit a 3 game lull. Some of it was foul trouble and some of it was against UGa it was hard to take either Stone or Barry out of the game so Robinsons minutes were down.

5. The point guard play is as expected the weakness of this team. At times Hill looks good and at other times he regresses to his old form. Similarly Chiozza can have moments both ways.

6. Allen like last year has had some up and down games, I think more up this year than last, but still a bit up and down.

7. Hayes has been solid, but he is not yet a back to the basket offensive threat.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've watched a bit. It was enjoyable. Agree with brad, feels weird not seeing Billy D by the benches still. That's gonna take some getting used to.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Coach WHite is making a run at SEC COY. The kids are a scrappy bunch. I like him. I am really impressed with the job he has done. Gotta say, while early...it looks like Foley make a good choice.

Go Gators!
I thought I'd quote this to give you guys a chance to rethink the direction of those thumbs. No offense Rex.

Gatorboy856

May 18, 2016
Intramural teams could beat this bunch. Said and just terrible basketball. Eggs is a wuss down low.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Coach WHite is making a run at SEC COY. The kids are a scrappy bunch. I like him. I am really impressed with the job he has done. Gotta say, while early...it looks like Foley make a good choice.

Go Gators!

:eek:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Tough loss...the team is definitely bi-polar. Damn. Not giving up yet.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Go figure, Rex starts a positive thread and we quickly proceed to lose 2 games :lmao2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb