The great trek is over, spending the first night in our new home near Pensacola tonight!

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
It depends on where in TN you're coming from and where in FL you're going. I was in metro Nashville and moved to Pace. I made out like a bandit. I got 149.00 a square foot, and paid 107.00 - for just as nice a place. My property taxes are higher per square foot, but not as bad as you might think.
But no state income tax easily makes up for the higher property tax.. Welcome to Pensacola... I'm out here where the Blue Angels practice...Awesome!!!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Congrats lots LB. I was born in Pensacola (tiny Cantonment) 1945. It was all a privately owned paper mill, supported us, lived within eyesight straight down the street. St.Regis bought the mill and us people of that neighborhood. They moved us all to Jax, northside. I had the same schoolmates in Jax that I did in Cantonment. Amazing event. Dad so liked Cantonment so much for years he kept a pecan orchard he bought. Every year the orchard neighbor wrote Dad asking permission to harvest the pecans. Dad told him he needn't ask but he wrote every year. We didn't really know him and no money was ever talked of. It was beautiful 20 acres packed with lined up pecan trees. It was split by a stream. Govment cut it in half with a highway. That Gov pressure crap is why Dad sold it.

Enjoy settling in. I'll be watching with y'all Saturday. Another oddity = Did my predental at UF but got my DDS degree from UT Med School in Memphis - Florida was years away from getting a dental school, which I bet is better than UT's by now. Grew up age 6-20 as a Florida fan & was at UF in Spurrier's class. Sat on 50 yd-line every UF v UGa game from age 6 'til I moved far away. (Never rooted for UT.) Stay cozy.

PS>> Forget about Durty's threat. I've offered him my wife instead.

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
It depends on where in TN you're coming from and where in FL you're going. I was in metro Nashville and moved to Pace. I made out like a bandit. I got 149.00 a square foot, and paid 107.00 - for just as nice a place. My property taxes are higher per square foot, but not as bad as you might think.

Quite true, I live in Jackson which was reported in the NYT as the cheapest town in the US. Going to Venice area and since I am elderly I want a very custom house to meet needs of handicapped elderly people. I was quoted up to 200/ sq foot and including the garage in the calculation.

Property taxes on my house are about 1200 per year, there with a smaller home probably near triple.

Thanks for the response, we have visited various areas around Florida, and have spent two months in the target area. I missed a good opportunity several years ago because I was too worried about having two houses at the same time. I regret it now but who knows what might have happened.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Welcome home! Living close to the water is a wonderful thing.

There is living near water and living near water. I live in South Louisiana - not quite the same:burn:

Congratulation on the new house.

I have family there and love the Emerald Coast – Favorite place in FL not the “Swamp”

But my wife is from here and Grand Kids are here SO, guess where we are?

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Congrats lots LB. I was born in Pensacola (tiny Cantonment) 1945. It was all a privately owned paper mill, supported us, lived within eyesight straight down the street. St.Regis bought the mill and us people of that neighborhood. They moved us all to Jax, northside. I had the same schoolmates in Jax that I did in Cantonment. Amazing event. Dad so liked Cantonment so much for years he kept a pecan orchard he bought. Every year the orchard neighbor wrote Dad asking permission to harvest the pecans. Dad told him he needn't ask but he wrote every year. We didn't really know him and no money was ever talked of. It was beautiful 20 acres packed with lined up pecan trees. It was split by a stream. Govment cut it in half with a highway. That Gov pressure crap is why Dad sold it.

Enjoy settling in. I'll be watching with y'all Saturday. Another oddity = Did my predental at UF but got my DDS degree from UT Med School in Memphis - Florida was years away from getting a dental school, which I bet is better than UT's by now. Grew up age 6-20 as a Florida fan & was at UF in Spurrier's class. Sat on 50 yd-line every UF v UGa game from age 6 'til I moved far away. (Never rooted for UT.) Stay cozy.

PS>> Forget about Durty's threat. I've offered him my wife instead.
I'll be driving through Cantonement in about 30 minutes on my way to cut grass on Squirrel Ranch (in Baldwin County, AL)... I still love the street layout in Cantonement that the mill originally built when you would have been there. Oh, and I think the golf course finally closed last year.

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Quite true, I live in Jackson which was reported in the NYT as the cheapest town in the US. Going to Venice area and since I am elderly I want a very custom house to meet needs of handicapped elderly people. I was quoted up to 200/ sq foot and including the garage in the calculation.

Property taxes on my house are about 1200 per year, there with a smaller home probably near triple.

Thanks for the response, we have visited various areas around Florida, and have spent two months in the target area. I missed a good opportunity several years ago because I was too worried about having two houses at the same time. I regret it now but who knows what might have happened.

It must be tough living there. My wife's aunt lives in Jackson and her grandmother in Lexington. We go there twice a year and I count the hours waiting to leave that place.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
It must be tough living there. My wife's aunt lives in Jackson and her grandmother in Lexington. We go there twice a year and I count the hours waiting to leave that place.

Not for me, I was paid on a national scale so low cost of living is great. Now I am a private person, so lack of social type stuff is not a problem for me.

I don't tolerate the weather than well, too hot now and will be too cold later.

Each of us has different criteria, now I dislike the corrupt city government and their focus on politics rather than say the roads that are in bad condition.

We do have a lot of restaurants, I like to eat out so that is a good thing for me.

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Not for me, I was paid on a national scale so low cost of living is great. Now I am a private person, so lack of social type stuff is not a problem for me.

I don't tolerate the weather than well, too hot now and will be too cold later.

Each of us has different criteria, now I dislike the corrupt city government and their focus on politics rather than say the roads that are in bad condition.

We do have a lot of restaurants, I like to eat out so that is a good thing for me.

Now that you mention it we do seem to eat way more there than here in ATL. I enjoy Brooksies Barn, Reggie's BBQ, Catfish Galley and for a chain restaurant Cheddars isn't too bad.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
There is living near water and living near water. I live in South Louisiana - not quite the same:burn:

Congratulation on the new house.

I have family there and love the Emerald Coast – Favorite place in UF not the “Swamp”

But my wife is from here and Grand Kids are here SO, guess where we are?

Merci! laissez le bon temps rouler

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Merci! laissez le bon temps rouler

And let's hope those "Good Times" roll in/on Rocky Top:chomp:

th

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016

There really are so many nice areas in FL that it's probably not too difficult to find something, somewhere, that will fill your needs and still be affordable. Best of luck when that happy day comes!

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
We just sold my parents house in Pace off Woodbine Road. Got about 90 per foot. It was 35 years old and needed some updates but in great structural shape. Had 3 acres on lawn and 4 pecan trees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator