The Heat Is On....

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
To pile on... Zamir White top RB in the country commits to UGA...Kirby isn't having issues recruiting.

Kirby is a proven recruiter, with tremendous ties to the SE, who is also putting together his version of what is usually a great class(year 2). We'll see if he pans out or not over time as he has to start living up to some of those promises made on the trail. Now, that has no bearing on Mac or his struggles, just pointing out that recruiting abilities or not, Smart could be a total failure as an actual head coach(see WM). Let's not forget he took over a 10-3 team, and went 8-5 with a combination of blowouts, losses to VU and ut, and squeaking by Nichols State and Mizzou.

The biggest issue, as I've stated before, is timing. Looking at the list above comparing UF coaches, you could argue that Zook was far superior to Mac. Looking a little closer at the details, I don't think Mac loses 5 games with the 2002 team of Grossman, Jacobs, Troupe, etc. Nor do I think Zook manages to grit out enough wins to make Atl with our 2015 roster and circumstances.

I'm not excusing Mac's deficiencies, and I think at some point his and his staff's recruiting is going to have to significantly improve or he's done. But taking over when he did, with the UF brand where it was post-Muschamp, combined with his lack of natural recruiting ability, is the problem. That's one huge disadvantage that neither Meyer, Zook or Spurrier had to face, and I'd argue that he was a bad choice for UF because of those very circumstances, which is on Foley and the moron boosters who gave WM a 4th season because he spoke like them, went to Oak Hall and was a "good guy".

Not convinced Mac's ever going to be elite(primarily because of his lack of recruiting skill), but I think certain comparisons are highly misleading as well.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The biggest issue, as I've stated before, is timing. Looking at the list above comparing UF coaches, you could argue that Zook was far superior to Mac. Looking a little closer at the details, I don't think Mac loses 5 games with the 2002 team of Grossman, Jacobs, Troupe, etc. Nor do I think Zook manages to grit out enough wins to make Atl with our 2015 roster and circumstances.
Well, it's all speculative, but Butters is so concerned about fumbles I don't think he could score with any amount of talent. Hell, he doesn't even TRY to score unless the defense gives him a short field. He is the DC's type of OC. No wonder Satan loved him.

He scored 6 points vs LSU with the all the talent in the world on arguably the best team ever assembled. I think your assertion is pretty weak. Frankly, I don't think a gunslinger like Grossman would ever get on the field with Butters. That just isn't his game. That team didn't have a dominant run game either, good but not dominant.

I can tell you this, Zook had no trouble scoring against elite teams like FSU. Butters may never score an offensive TD vs Clown Town.

Zook never made it to Atlanta, that is true, but the east was then the BEST division in power football, not the worst. Only a fool fails to recognize that. Even the analysts are in agreement as to how terrible the east is. Neither Butters nor Mizzu's Gary Pinkel would have had a chance in the old SEC East either.

I'm not excusing Mac's deficiencies, and I think at some point his and his staff's recruiting is going to have to significantly improve or he's done. But taking over when he did, with the UF brand where it was post-Muschamp, combined with his lack of natural recruiting ability, is the problem. That's one huge disadvantage that neither Meyer, Zook or Spurrier had to face, and I'd argue that he was a bad choice for UF because of those very circumstances, which is on Foley and the moron boosters who gave WM a 4th season because he spoke like them, went to Oak Hall and was a "good guy".
Meyer, Zook and Spurrier weren't terrible recruiters. UF was still on probation when SOS arrived. He sure as hell wasn't still trying to figure out how to land talent four classes later. He attacked with what he had and attracted more talent with his style of play.

Butters is the right kind of coach for some team like Montana or Colorado State, where 4-5 losses is good enough. He has no business being at UF.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Well, it's all speculative, but Butters is so concerned about fumbles I don't think he could score with any amount of talent. Hell, he doesn't even TRY to score unless the defense gives him a short field. He is the DC's type of OC. No wonder Satan loved him.

He scored 6 points vs LSU with the all the talent in the world on arguably the best team ever assembled. I think your assertion is pretty weak. Frankly, I don't think a gunslinger like Grossman would ever get on the field with Butters. That just isn't his game. That team didn't have a dominant run game either, good but not dominant.

I can tell you this, Zook had no trouble scoring against elite teams like FSU. Butters may never score an offensive TD vs Clown Town.

Zook never made it to Atlanta, that is true, but the east was then the BEST division in power football, not the worst. Only a fool fails to recognize that. Even the analysts are in agreement as to how terrible the east is. Neither Butters nor Mizzu's Gary Pinkel would have had a chance in the old SEC East either.

Meyer, Zook and Spurrier weren't terrible recruiters. UF was still on probation when SOS arrived. He sure as hell wasn't still trying to figure out how to land talent four classes later. He attacked with what he had and attracted more talent with his style of play.

Butters is the right kind of coach for some team like Montana or Colorado State, where 4-5 losses is good enough. He has no business being at UF.

I think we got a brief glimpse of what Mac would like to do offensively against Ole Miss last year. It seemed like the one time he actually felt comfortable with what he had on the field. Why and/how he hasn't been able to even remotely recreate that since is definitely both puzzling and a concern. But I'll repeat my "weak" assertion that Mac would've felt more comfortable, and fared better with a 3rd year Grossman, Earnest Graham, Troupe, AWalk, Jacobs and that OL of Starks, Snell, etc.

As for the the dominant SECE of 2002 vs the wimpy East of 2015, including the West draw of each year, the jaw dropping disparity is detailed below...

ut
2002: 8-5
2015: 9-4

uga
2002: 13-1
2015 10-3

Uk
2002: 7-5
2015: 5-7

Usce
2002: 5-7
2015: 3-9

Lsu
2002: 8-5
2015: 9-3

OMiss
2002: 7-6
2015: 10-3

Given the difference in each coach's respective squads, combined with a better record by Mac--ultimately the difference in his going to Atl while Zook did not--I would say I'm dead on with my assessment.

To your last point, I specifically stated that I wasn't sure Mac would ever join elite company with Spurrier and Meyer. To date, he's not even close to their level. And no, he's not a third the recruiter that RZ was. But it doesn't diminish the point that none of this 3 inherited the mess that he did. Spurrier has raved, and even still talks about that '90 team being the building block for his run here. Meyer needed a few key pieces to turn a solid 2005 team into a NC caliber 2006 team. Not exactly the same as having 5(?) scholarship OL, a team that was 11-13 the past 2 seasons and a 96th rated recruiting class with a brand in the toilet.

Again, not even really defending Mac. My post was actually in reference to the comment about Smart's recruiting. He's clearly better in that regard, and in some respects that's what we needed--someone who could reignite things. I actually think Mac is the better coach, but also was not the right guy for where we were when he was hired, especially with Grier out of the equation. I think with the right circumstances, or at the right program as you stated, he could be fine. As it sits, I'm not sure. But I ultimately blame the people who allowed us to be in this position in the first place. That's not debatable.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Look up that game, I did a quarterback by quarter break down on a thread not to long ago. Other than really a quarter and half, our offense sucked balls.
But that proved Mac has us heading in the right direction...right?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=400603878

We had 350 yds TOTAL. We had under 100 yds rushing.

Does anyone think that is some offensive explosion?

Probably not....another Mac Myth.

Where did I refer to it as an offensive explosion? I specifically called it a brief "glimpse", not only implying it was a partial look at what we may see down the line, but also acknowledging that it was short lived.

Look up that game, I did a quarterback by quarter break down on a thread not to long ago. Other than really a quarter and half, our offense sucked balls.

But that proved Mac has us heading in the right direction...right?

Again, it was never described as some magical night. But there were several big plays in the passing game--made by Freshman and Sophomores--which was something we really hadn't seen against an SEC opponent in years, outside of a few freak plays from Driskel in 2012. Given what we had endured in recent seasons, most people were optimistic.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Where did I refer to it as an offensive explosion? I specifically called it a brief "glimpse", not only implying it was a partial look at what we may see down the line, but also acknowledging that it was short lived.

Again, it was never described as some magical night. But there were several big plays in the passing game--made by Freshman and Sophomores--which was something we really hadn't seen against an SEC opponent in years, outside of a few freak plays from Driskel in 2012. Given what we had endured in recent seasons, most people were optimistic.
Were is correct. That's history.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
With EVERY other Gator sport excelling, winning and making National title games ( Gator softball, track and field. tennis, swimming, the basketball team making it to elite 8, Gator baseball in the NC), firing the womens basketball coach for less, how much longer does UF tolerate mediocrity in the biggest payday sport there is, football? At some point they have to see, even if blind???? I type this after a couple of milwaukees finest but it s good point.....
Is the volleyball coach still there? Yes pressure is on football but without a star QB it is hard to win.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Is the volleyball coach still there? Yes pressure is on football but without a star QB it is hard to win.
Mary Wise is still around. She's been to the final four 7 times, but the last came in 2003. Still, she wins the SEC consistently (same with Becky Burleigh, but at least she has 1 NC)

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Were is correct. That's history.

You're right. You know in hindsight, when referencing that OM game, I probably should've immediately followed it up with something like...oh I don't know...maybe this...

"Why and/how he hasn't been able to even remotely recreate that since is definitely both puzzling and a concern."

Again, we're breaking down film, doing quarter by quarter analysis, linking stats, etc., when none of this has anything to do with my initial point.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like Mac and want him to do well. However, one thing that I simply cannot excuse any longer is how incompetent we've looked against FSU. When is the last time we scored an offensive TD against them? If we perform in a similarly awful fashion against them this year, consider me in the camp that wants him fired.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
But on the other hand we could have a surprise to the up side. I believe it can and is happening. We have won two east title while the ship is turning around. We have a whole lot more talent on both sides of the ball than the past two years. If the injury bug doesn't bite us, it could be a fun year. I'm alittle excited. The complainers will complain regardless. I'm surprise some on this forum aren't head coaches for dominate programs. Truth is a lot of them have never actually played the game.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well 10 Wins wasn't enough when Spurrier was head coach so its not enough no is it?!?!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
We have a whole lot more talent on both sides of the ball than the past two years.

No matter how many times a pumper says it...it's not true.

Will Muschamp's four defensive recruiting classes at Florida included 31 blue-chip prospects (4- or 5-star recruits) and just 14 non blue-chippers. That 69 percent total of blue-chip defenders has helped produce five NFL Draft picks already, with several more slated to be taken in this year's draft.

The big question many Florida recruitniks have is whether that defensive success on the field will be sustainable with a considerable drop in talent; at least insofar as talent is measured by star ratings.

Jim McElwain's first three defensive classes?

Just 11 blue-chippers to 24 non blue-chippers, for a blue-chip percentage of 31 percent. New defensive coordinator Randy Shannon, by conventional wisdom then, will have a lot less to work with than his immediate predecessors.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We have a whole lot more talent on both sides of the ball than the past two years.
Utter and complete bullshyt. Demonstrably complete bullshyt.

These are the worst three classes we have had since 1980.

If the injury bug doesn't bite us, it could be a fun year. I'm alittle excited. .
Ahhhhh, yes. The ole standby. Its not lack of talent and depth, it's just that ole injury bug and Poor McElchump cant win with injuries.

Here is a newsflash, we are going to have many injuries, with more concentrated on the lines and at rb. How could I make such a prescient forecast? Because its football.

Last edited:

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
For the ones who don't know, Law has never had a football helmet on in his life. He's never blocked or been blocked. But he gets on this board and criticizes the Gators every way possible. I don't think he was ever in the band
either. So he hasn't been on a football field
with the lights on.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Wait, what? Where am I? I lost track of which underachieving, disappointing, frustrating Gator team and coach we are disparaging? Is this Sully, White or Mac?

Hard to keep up. So many different threads telling us they all suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.