Here are my general comments/observations:

1. Steps up in the pocket to avoid rush
2. Is pretty accurate when not pressured
3. Faced a lot of pressure most of his throws
4. Can hit the slants and shows over the middle
5. Receivers did not help him by not running more slants when there is a blitz
6. Our defense is pretty good
7. Needs to clean up footwork when under pressure
8. He can go through his progressions pretty well but he needs to learn that if a receiver is double covered pre-snap he cannot be a primary receiver so he cannot be your first read post snap. Your eyes post snap should be on the receivers that are single covered presnap You only have so much time to do your reads.

Last edited:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
You might want to laugh at Del Rio but the guy could read defenses like nobody's business and call the protections to match.
Yeah, that's the point. Del Rio was serviceable before he got hurt. Trask is not from what I've seen.

I'm with Honk-a-Donk on this one. If we trot Trask out there, it will be seriously bad news for our hopes of an improved offense.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Yeah, that's the point. Del Rio was serviceable before he got hurt. Trask is not from what I've seen.

I'm with Honk-a-Donk on this one. If we trot Trask out there, it will be seriously bad news for our hopes of an improved offense.
Until he is actually in a game and we can see what he can do, we can't really be sure. So Let's let him play against Charleston and observe him under fire. We have seen what FF can do, let's see what he can do.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015

Not saying that you are wrong, but why not break down the clip and show us why he is so bad rather than just assert that he is terrible?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Not saying that you are wrong, but why not break down the clip and show us why he is so bad rather than just assert that he is terrible?
I'm not really qualified but here's what I see.

On the positive he has a shorter quicker release than Franks so there's that. But he was just about going against no rush since they couldn't hit him, and he still was mostly inaccurate on short passes overthrowing several. He stares down receivers and threw into double and triple coverage several times. He has minimal zip on intermediate and long routes floating them and under-throwing. He did find his checkdown a few times, and again can at least get rid of the ball quicker than FF looping release, but overall he looks like a backup at best and I didn't see anything that gives me confidence that he has the arm, wheels, or decision making to be an SEC starting QB.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
After watching the Trask video there is good and bad.

The Good:

1. He had a few throws where the ball was out before the WR had even got out of his break. Excellent anticipation. On 2 throws, Trask threw the WR open rather than waiting for him to get open. Franks can't do this. He waits until guys are open. The problem is, by that point the WR isn't open any more.

2. He knows how to move around in the pocket to buy more time. He is very good at it. He stays calm where Franks panics.

3. He has an NFL arm and can make all of the throws. Unlike Franks, Trask knows when to take something off. It is one of his best qualities. The back shoulder throw which left his hand before the WR had turned around was a perfect example.

4. Sees the middle of the field. Franks still does not do this. That alone is a massive improvement.

The Bad:

5. His lack of playing experience shows. Not playing much in high school matters. At times he rushes things because they speed of the game gets to him. He is up and down. I can see him having a huge game against UK and a 4 int game against Mizz.

6. Sometime he handles the rush well. Sometimes he doesn't.

7. Hitting on my first point, there was another throw where he waited until the WR came open. By the time he let it go, the CB recovered and swatted it away. If he does what I mentioned in point 1, it is a 20 yard play.

From what I've seen, he is not as bad as some on this board make him out to be. Donkey, I mean you. :lol:
Is he a solid SEC QB right now? No. Is there genuine potential? Yes. We will have to wait and see. It won't be much longer.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You forget the funniest part. Even while Mullinz was on national tv saying he needs a running QB, Ole Trash ran for zero yards.

Hell even Jake Allen heard it loud and clear and ran the ball several times.

You're nuts if you don't think Mullinz cares about running QBs anymore.

Last edited:

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
If Franks is as hopeless as many think and EJ wasn’t getting car rental discounts, we could get the second hand version of the leak/Tebow combo with Kyle/Emory. Dan already said he’s open to a rotation. That could mean series to series but more likely play by play if it happens. If you don’t have a guy that can do it all, get your guys to each contribute by doing what they’re best at. If all franks can do is chuck it long and run backwards, I’d like to see what the other two can do in tandem.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
You might want to laugh at Del Rio but the guy could read defenses like nobody's business and call the protections to match.

You do know this is a fan base that watched Danny Wuerffel with a not very strong arm take apart SEC defenses game after game, season after season?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You do know this is a fan base that watched Danny Wuerffel with a not very strong arm take apart SEC defenses game after game, season after season?
Look, readimg defenses well and all that was a massive overstatement. He ran the plays reasonably well.

Using LDR in the same sentence as Danny makes me queasy. LDR isn't in the same sentence as Kresser or Dean even. More like in the same sentence as Fat dog.... maybe... at best.

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I'm not really qualified but here's what I see.

On the positive he has a shorter quicker release than Franks so there's that. But he was just about going against no rush since they couldn't hit him, and he still was mostly inaccurate on short passes overthrowing several. He stares down receivers and threw into double and triple coverage several times. He has minimal zip on intermediate and long routes floating them and under-throwing. He did find his checkdown a few times, and again can at least get rid of the ball quicker than FF looping release, but overall he looks like a backup at best and I didn't see anything that gives me confidence that he has the arm, wheels, or decision making to be an SEC starting QB.
Thanks for stepping up.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Look, read defenses like well and all that was a massive overstatement. He ran the plays reasonably well.

Using LDR in the same sentence as Danny makes me queasy. LDR isn't in the same sentence as Kresser or Dean even. More like in the same sentence as Fat dog.... maybe... at best.

That was my thought too when this guy tried to claim DelRio was some kind of defense reading savant. At UF we have seen some guys, Wuerffel, Matthews, Grossman etc who could read a defense and do something about it.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
After watching the Trask video there is good and bad.

The Good:

1. He had a few throws where the ball was out before the WR had even got out of his break. Excellent anticipation. On 2 throws, Trask threw the WR open rather than waiting for him to get open. Franks can't do this. He waits until guys are open. The problem is, by that point the WR isn't open any more.

2. He knows how to move around in the pocket to buy more time. He is very good at it. He stays calm where Franks panics.

3. He has an NFL arm and can make all of the throws. Unlike Franks, Trask knows when to take something off. It is one of his best qualities. The back shoulder throw which left his hand before the WR had turned around was a perfect example.

4. Sees the middle of the field. Franks still does not do this. That alone is a massive improvement.

The Bad:

5. His lack of playing experience shows. Not playing much in high school matters. At times he rushes things because they speed of the game gets to him. He is up and down. I can see him having a huge game against UK and a 4 int game against Mizz.

6. Sometime he handles the rush well. Sometimes he doesn't.

7. Hitting on my first point, there was another throw where he waited until the WR came open. By the time he let it go, the CB recovered and swatted it away. If he does what I mentioned in point 1, it is a 20 yard play.

From what I've seen, he is not as bad as some on this board make him out to be. Donkey, I mean you.
Is he a solid SEC QB right now? No. Is there genuine potential? Yes. We will have to wait and see. It won't be much longer.
That's a lot of good. Seems like a lot of the bad could maybe be fixed with more game experience. I'd like to see him in a quarter or a half of a real game against a cream puff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator