The next wave I expect to pop

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yep...were in on 2 or 3 4* guys but not really hearing alot else. We need at least 3 this cycle in my opinion.
DT is like OL, 3 star kids are often the best buys on the shelf. But we do need bodies. It isnt as drastic as last year if course but we will be playing freshmen too soon this year and that usually accelerates injuries.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Whether you like Mac or not, there is definitely a buzz back with recruiting, which was my main criticism. The new hires seem to have made a world of difference. Just imagine if we somehow didn't suck this year...
His Hee Haw schtick would be less irritating if he wasnt losing by 50 points, putting an offense on the field worse than Southeast Arky State, and was actually building for the future via recruiting.

There is no getting around how terrible the first two classes were and how mediocre the last was. Excuses are like azzholes. We will see if he has finally figured it out.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
That would be a nice haul, but I have my doubts about us pulling a kid from Crackumbus. I think the first three are assumed to be ours ours to lose. I wouldnt loae any sleep over not getting another WR or DE though.
Allegedly he's already leaning towards flipping. With our recent success at American Heritage i think we have just as a good of a shot as anyone else.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
DT is like OL, 3 star kids are often the best buys on the shelf. But we do need bodies. It isnt as drastic as last year if course but we will be playing freshmen too soon this year and that usually accelerates injuries.
Last years DT class was pretty solid. No "elite" guys, but if we could do that year after year I'd still be happy.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
His Hee Haw schtick would be less irritating if he wasnt losing by 50 points, putting an offense on the field worse than Southeast Arky State, and was actually building for the future via recruiting.

There is no getting around how terrible the first two classes were and how mediocre the last was. Excuses are like azzholes. We will see if he has finally figured it out.

I agree that the first two classes weren't exactly what we wanted but we did get some guys that have played a lot of good ball for us. On the flip side to call last years class mediocre is a real stretch.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Last years DT class was pretty solid. No "elite" guys, but if we could do that year after year I'd still be happy.
That was a pretty elite class of DTs. I dont think Id trade them.for any other class in the country.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that the first two classes weren't exactly what we wanted but we did get some guys that have played a lot of good ball for us.
Look, if you fill your roster up with FAU types, someone has to play. I havent seen any good ball from them.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That was a pretty elite class of DTs. I dont think Id trade them.for any other class in the country.
Elite class, yes. I was meaning we didn't sign any elite individuals (at least on paper, i.e. 5 stars) and instead had a slew of very very good ones. Definitely wouldn't trade that class either.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LOLOL see what I mean a pic posted of me. Yet another WIN for my drawing out the Haters and Complainers and TROLLS!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Elite class, yes. I was meaning we didn't sign any elite individuals (at least on paper, i.e. 5 stars) and instead had a slew of very very good ones. Definitely wouldn't trade that class either.
Yeah I get it. Game changing DTs are few and far between. We got good ones in this class, and several of them. I dont much care if someone else got a 5 star who can dunk a basketball. One more class and we can get back to having a Bullard sized kid at DE or both DEs and actually being a force on running downs again.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah I get it. Game changing DTs are few and far between. We got good ones in this class, and several of them. I dont much care if someone else got a 5 star who can dunk a basketball. One more class and we can get back to having a Bullard sized kid at DE or both DEs and actually being a force on running downs again.
I just hope the staff doesn't get settled and think DT isn't a priority for this class because of last year. We need to do that every single year.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just hope the staff doesn't get settled and think DT isn't a priority for this class because of last year. We need to do that every single year.

We will only be getting one or two max.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I know right. How could that not be a given. And yet, the only seem to do it with WRs and RBs.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I was not overly impressed with our '16 class, given that the first full class is historically supposed to be much better. But I actually have no real complaints of the '15 class, considering we were in uncharted waters when he took over. There will always be "just bodies" in a short cycle, especially when your roster is a complete disaster.

The one thing with Mac is that the guys who were big gets--Callaway, Ivey, CCJ, both Jordans, Cleveland, etc--have largely performed up to their billing. There just haven't been enough of those. And as I've stated before, the reaches, particularly at skill positions, have also turned out about as we expected. Outside of Perine, Joseph and maybe Zuniga, it's clear we can't live off of those types. It feels like for every "Welcome 3*_____" thread that features a dozen posts explaining who they are, what they're apparently known for, and why they're actually a good pickup, there is another announcing the transfer of his equal from 2 years ago. That has to improve without a doubt.

Having said that, with the trenches being what they were when he took over, that had had to be the focal point of everything to this point. And as you mentioned, OL and DL positions are about bodies more than anything else. As much as we've needed difference makers there, we couldnt strictly target the Floyd types that everyone is after, risking a swing and miss. If a big kid with some measure of athletic ability wants to be a Gator, we took him. Even transfers or GTs from Fordham. As easy as it is to be frustrated with things, I do think it's important to not undersell the initial conditions. Now that some of that is rectified, I expect to see better performance from this staff both on the field and in recruiting.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know right. How could that not be a given. And yet, the only seem to do it with WRs and RBs.
As far back as I can remember (well since Spurrier left), there would only be maybe one year out of every four, where our roster would line up right and we'd have experience as every position. All the other years, we'd be depleted in multiple areas because we spot recruit for whatever "the position of need" is at the time. Even Urban did this. If properly managed (see Alabama), there should never be a drop-off (not even necessarily talking about talent, but numbers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator