The next wave I expect to pop

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
As far back as I can remember (well since Spurrier left), there would only be maybe one year out of every four, where our roster would line up right and we'd have experience as every position. All the other years, we'd be depleted in multiple areas because we spot recruit for whatever "the position of need" is at the time. Even Urban did this. If properly managed (see Alabama), there should never be a drop-off (not even necessarily talking about talent, but numbers).

What Saban and Co do better than anyone in history is selling kids on the idea that they are going to beat out those in front of them, or getting them to ignore the depth chart all together. They almost spin a negative into a positive. Even Meyer struggled with that, and would routinely lose a kid or two to the noles or volts because we were so stacked. It's impressive.

Case in point, Aaron Robinson from the '16 class. Already announcing his transfer from AL. On campus for less than a year, and sees that he has no chance to ever play. As a 3* DB(aka 3rd string WR :lol:), with grade issues, his FBS days are probably done. And yet, 18 months ago, he had no idea those other guys even existed.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We need to stockpile OL & DL - and we need position coaches who can coach them. I don't know much about Davis yet but, was not impressed with OL play in the O & B game. To be fair, Davis had only been on the job a few months. The OL play better significantly improve this season now that Summers is gone. We have too many kids on scholarship on the OL who should never even get a recrtuitng call from UF.

I was a huge Rumph backer but, I am starting to sour on him as a position coach and recruiter.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Riles and Mike need to be gone after this year to make room for others. They are going to be RS Jrs and have not really done anything. They'll been on campus for four years and should have their degrees. Time to say goodbye after the season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mike, no doubt. Riles may play this year at DT or guard.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Riles and Mike need to be gone after this year to make room for others. They are going to be RS Jrs and have not really done anything. They'll been on campus for four years and should have their degrees. Time to say goodbye after the season.

Are you sure they aren't 8th yr seniors?

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well I was talking about after the season. Give him a shot to earn another year at DT. I don't see him at OG after this season. Dunlap is already better than him and I'd bet Telfort or Moore could play OG better too. If he can't contribute at DT this year, I'd rather bring in a good commit]

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

This. Riles has been playing the wrong position. But he's been willing to do what he is asked to do and comes across as a good kid. I love his intensity on the sidelines during the last few minutes of the 2015 ut game. Others are dancing and celebrating. He's as stressed out and focused as the 90k(80k at that point) in the stands. Camera was on him the whole time for some reason, and it stuck with me.

Agree on Mike though. Quintessential Muschamp stupidity.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see him at OG after this season.
We still have a real big problem at right guard. All the options seem to suck. One hole in the dam means the whole thing fails. Now maybe Big Fred was hurt, I don't know, but I do know he got destroyed by a walkon LB subbing as a DT.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We still have a real big problem at right guard. All the options seem to suck. One hole in the damn means the whole thing fails. Now maybe Big Fred was hurt, I don't know, but I do know he got destroyed by a walkon LB all game.
You'd hope that Forsythe, Telfort, or Moore could fill in better than Riles. Disappointed Buchannan hasn't done more.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I had big hopes for Forsythe but he moves like he is made of Stone. Maybe he should move to NT because he doesn't look like he has the feet to play tackle or guard. Sometimes kids are slow bc they are thinking too much. Let's hope this is the case and it will get better.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Back to the OP, a few guys are starting to trend on 247. Copeland, Chase and Chatfield. Also, Petit-Frere has gotten a lot of predictions along with Barnes and Gouraige.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
6'3" 295. I like it. Miller and stills would be a floyd and easley type of combo. Maybe a little bigger size wise.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
With Corral seemingly locked up for us now, is there any way we would take another QB in this class other than Fields? Not that we need one I was just wondering. Also does our staff still stay in contact with Fields and recruit him, in case Corral soured on us?

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
As easy as it is to be frustrated with things, I do think it's important to not undersell the initial conditions. Now that some of that is rectified, I expect to see better performance from this staff both on the field and in recruiting.
This!

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
With Corral seemingly locked up for us now, is there any way we would take another QB in this class other than Fields? Not that we need one I was just wondering. Also does our staff still stay in contact with Fields and recruit him, in case Corral soured on us?
I wouldn't think they would take another Qb not enough spots to add another Qb that won't ever play.
They'll definitely stay in contact with Fields probably not as much but enough to keep up relationships just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator