The non-Chip Kelly Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by Slevin, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Slevin

Slevin Ox won’t make me a Mod
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $661
    Ratings:
    +2,852 / -39
    UF, for the 5th time since 2001 is looking for a new head coach. This thread is to discuss the candidates, the contracts, their ability, the private jets, for sale signs, the poon saloons, whatever it may be that Florida tries to lure a new coach Into the murky waters of The Swamp.

Here are my candidates, add whoever you think should get a call and why.

1. Scott Frost: offensive coordinator at Oregon, 2 year head coach at UCF. Not only did Chip Kelly teach Scott everything he knows, he also managed to absorb most if not all of it, and possibly even improved on the offense he ran at Oregon. He seems to be building something special at a directional school and has a young, super hungry coaching staff. They are making in roads on the trail in Florida and even have 5 stars swinging by for visits. This guy is the real deal.

2. Chip Kelly- it took me awhile. A really long while. To come around to this hire. But if what I read is correct (wants a big recruiting budget, budget for top notch coordinators, budget for analysts, etc) seems to me that Chip wants to dominate the football landscape once again. Remember, if we don't hire him or Frost, someone else will and will we want to go up against them? Nope.

3. Mike Norvell- super young. 36 years old. Comes from the Todd Graham tree at Arizona State. Only a few years ago, Graham was a possibility to land in Gainesville. Hell no to that today. But his ex OC seems to be doing a good job at Memphis, taking over for Fuente. He's young, hungry, innovative on offense. REMEMBER THAT. Innovative. We need someone who can adapt and direct/plan out his own offense and identity. We haven't had an identity since honestly 08. I don't know about his development of a program and he has no in roads in Florida, being mostly from the west. This one is a little trickier and could be slower developing than UF fans would like.

4. Justin Fuente- very good coach. Innovative on offense. Young. Seems to be on the cusp of elite. I moved him down from possibly being number one simply because it seems he understands how good he has it. In the ACC, not a ton of pressure, can compete for the ACC every year, only Clemson, FSU and Miami are legit and none of them seem to string along long periods of elite football. He makes good money there and it'd be hard to pry him from Blacksburg. If he did come, it's an A + hire.

I think if Florida can't land 1 of 4, we are in deep ****.

The next list would include Mullen, Chad Morris, Charlie Strong, and I'm not sure about anyone else that I would be remotely ok with.

What say you GCMB? Let's speculate. If this thread gets enough traction we can CC Stricklin in so he knows exactly who to go for. After all, we are the apex of gator nation

2. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Stop steaming up my tail!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,414
    Ratings:
    +24,360 / -496
    what happened to the other coaching search thread three below this one?

3. NavetG8r

NavetG8r Stupid

Oxbucks:
    $536
    Ratings:
    +9,369 / -62
    I guess I'm on the Frost hype train. Too many people have too many good things to say about the dude for him not to be one of the top candidates. I don't see us hiring a more established elite coach away from a Bama/OSU/UM/PSU type of school, so we're going to most likely be looking for young up and comers, he seems like a pretty decent choice if you're going to take that route. I just don't see Stricklin going for a guy that's been away from coaching as long as guys like Gruden or Kelly have been.

4. Slevin

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $661
    Ratings:
    +2,852 / -39
    It wasn't made by me. And it's over run with crap also not posted by me. We need a fresh start

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  5. Slevin

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $661
    Ratings:
    +2,852 / -39
    Wow it even got locked LOL. Whoops.

6. biggator6

biggator6 Junior Member

Oxbucks:
    $8
    Ratings:
    +268 / -2
    Looks like a good list. I figure we have zero chance at Fuente - he's just settling in at VT and doing very well there.

I don't like the idea of Mullen.. hoping Stricklin doesn't go that way first. People here forget how much they DIDN'T like him here (remember the Mullen spin-a-call?). Not sure what I think about the other 2nd tier options like Morris.

7. Slevin

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $661
    Ratings:
    +2,852 / -39
    That's why I think it's first tier or bust. There's some good options out there, and if we offered Kelly I honesty think he comes. As long as we don't hand him over a coupon book ala Foley it seems more and more realistic.

8. olegator

olegator Member

Oxbucks:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +57 / -2
    Mullen? He's not a winner, just a good guy. We need a coach that wins!

9. g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $111
    Ratings:
    +2,945 / -7
    I hope we don't have to settle for Mullen. He would probably be an improvement over Mac, but let's look elsewhere.

10. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Stop steaming up my tail!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,414
    Ratings:
    +24,360 / -496
    Apparently this Slevin is a big man around campus.

I spent yesterday fighting with @NavetG8r all damn day trying to get him to admit Butterteeth was fired while he and @ThreatMatrix prayed it was just a warning conference and a vote of confidence.

11. GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
    $313
    Ratings:
    +8,035 / -48
    Here’s one thing to consider – Oregon was good but when they got Marriotta they went to a different level. Guess who groomed him? Frost.

12. ATXGator

ATXGator Austin Gator
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $139
    Ratings:
    +3,638 / -39
    I have to add Matt Campbell to the list.

Currently coaching at Iowa State he has beaten two Top 5 teams with his 3rd string QB! He did a good job at Toledo and has done very well at Iowa State (they are ranked 14 right now).

I think his buyout is high 9.5 million or something which would be an issue and I am not sure how he recruits, but the guy can coach. I think I would rather have Frost, but Campbell is in the top 5.

13. Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $74
    Ratings:
    +7,134 / -21
    Scott Frost joined a team that didn't win a damn game in 15 and took them to a bowl in 16 and has them undefeated in 17. Offense, defense, and special team units all ranked very high nationally. He has coached with or played for many of the all time greatest coaches of our time. And his team is fun to watch. I'd take him over Kelly.

As for the rest of the list, Fuentes is a non-starter. Replace him on the list with the guy from Iowa State and there is your top 4 candidates.

14. GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
    $313
    Ratings:
    +8,035 / -48
    Everyone here knows that I love me some Babers.

15. Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $74
    Ratings:
    +7,134 / -21
    One other thing to add is that Kelly is available right now and we wouldn't have to wait until after the season to hire him it could make the difference. I like our chances of being good next year a lot more if we had our guy sooner.

16. Blacklabgator

Blacklabgator Lurking Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $40
    Ratings:
    +1,333 / -48
    No list is complete without kiffin

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. g8tr76

g8tr76 New Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +7 / -0
    The Tampa Tribune has Lane Kiffin in the mix. It says he will bring excitement to the field; just a little too much excitement for me.

18. '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $766
    Ratings:
    +6,599 / -50
    Go revisit the poll. Frost got 62% of the vote. We can't be that collectively dumb. He meets the Ben Franklin test. If we don't at least put out a feeler to the guy, we're brain dead.

19. GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
    $313
    Ratings:
    +8,035 / -48
    Lol. Funny thing is – I think he’s had the number one offense in college football the last month.

20. GMDGator

GMDGator Slick Willie
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $70
    Ratings:
    +1,457 / -90
    this x100