The Oxrageous Podcast Post-Game Thoughts

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed for the most part Ox. I didn't think either QB separated himself. I hope Grier does well if given the starting job, but I'm not really convinced. Treon did well tonight and didn't throw anything stupid like Grier did at times. I'd go with Treon on the road, we can't afford a loss to UK before we get a pissed off volunteers club in Gainesville.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
the_alphagator1906;n277742 said:
I think he has some truth to his statement. Could you imagine if we lose to our cupcake before the FSU game still looking this sloppy? Sorry but fans would want Mac out of here. That rant on KT is all over twitter too. I am sure he didn't do some our sensitive fans any favors by going Muschamp on KT even though he was CLEARLY in the wrong.

Mac has been preaching against stupid penalties since well before the season started. he told the press repeatedly that he could not stand players getting conduct penalties because they were being about themselves and hurting the team.

KT ignored a message that Mac has been driving since day one. He was warned. He got what he deserved.

Will blew up constantly because he's a clown who can't control himself. This was a coach frustrated over a player disdaining one of his key messages about attitude and working for the team.

and no, there will not be multitudes shouting for Mac's head. a few screwballs maybe...

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n277722 said:
This^. The same people that are saying play Grier to build for the future are the ones that would want his ass fired if we go 4-8.

Wrong. We all know this is a transition year. It is what it is...Treon is NOT the future. Grier is the better QB. Mac is making this worse by trying to appease Treon. Grier is the better passer. It is freaking amateur hour. Welcome to the SEC Coach.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Let's face it. We played the worst game we possibly
could have played. Made every mistake under the sun.
We got out coached and mostly out played. They were
hungry. We were full of ourselves. That is a formula for
disaster. We won in spite of all that.

I saw a lot of good talent on the field tonight. Almost
everyone played sloppy. I still think there is great potential.
Lots of teams struggled this week and lost. We won. I say
coach Mac uses this for the good. KT's butt should be moved
to the position of third running back. You can bet coach Mac
will work their butts off this week. He will separate the ones
focused and the dreamers.

ECU never gave up. Coach Mac knew he was playing against
one good coach.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I also think people overestimate the talent level we have on offense. We know the last staff was terrible with the offense but I also think there isn't a ton of talent on our offense right now. I think most fans while they will be disappointed with a 7-5 type season know Mac can't right the ship in just one season with what was left.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
good podcast... They expected to show up and win last night and it showed... Put it behind them and move forward.. I think lots of teams were looking to next week yesterday.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Neither QB has shown what is required, the competition continues and hopefully this weeks practice will be a good one and improvements occur.

First and foremost we have to eliminate the foolish activities by some of our players. Talking, making illegal gestures are unacceptable.

Next the bad decisions and poor throws need to be addressed. Grier can't be throwing where he would like but rather follow the process, and the errant throws need to go or some other QB will be playing.

Freshmen mistakes will occur but need to be minimized especially the very costly fumbles.

Now we have plenty of bad luck, and officials that were apparently trying to get us to lose. We still found a way to win and perhaps it is a positive that the defense knew that the game was over and did not just score another TD. I would have been very tempted to do so.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think we should roll with grier. I'd like to see him get a chance to play a whole game. I thought he was pressing a little. But we're so limited when treons in there. More than anything I'd like to see him pick one and roll with him .

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n277699 said:
You can't have your QBs throwing it to the other team. That was the whole problem with Driskel. Great arm. Dull brain. Coach has said time and time again, he wants his QBs to throw to the right color shirts. Grier will improve with some experience, but that'll have to come in mop up duty. Treon has his limitations, but he doesn't get stupid with the ball very often.
In what game do you think there's gonna be mop up duty?

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
An ugly win indeed. Was hoping they were a thing of the past, but a win is a win.

I think Grier has the potential to a great QB. but as the last dunce in charge said, potential means you haven't done squat... I don't think Grier will be another JD, he seems to have it upstairs, just needs experience. For all you fanboys saying take our lumps with Grier, I would prefer to win, keep the streaks going against KY and TN, give Grier his reps, but Treon can lead this team to victories, Have a good year, get the recruits we need to get back to the top. Grier will be the man next year with some seasoning from this one.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Penalties, poor quarterback play, displays of selfishness, a Gator tackling a Gator. Sounds like a Muschamp team. Hopefully it's just part of the learning curve.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n277699 said:
You can't have your QBs throwing it to the other team. That was the whole problem with Driskel. Great arm. Dull brain. Coach has said time and time again, he wants his QBs to throw to the right color shirts. Grier will improve with some experience, but that'll have to come in mop up duty. Treon has his limitations, but he doesn't get stupid with the ball very often.
Ehhh... did you watch last weekend? He had no fewer than 3 passes that would have been effortless interceptions for any SEC level competition, lets back off the ledge just a bit.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Podcast pretty spot on. Game was really painful to watch.

But just to play the contrary, while I don't expect to contend for national championship this year, there were bright spots.

- Will Grier made a lot of nice throws and still shows he has a lot of upside. The INT wasn't his fault, and while he had two bad throws that should have been picked, I wonder if at least one of them was due to receiver. Whatever the case, think back to Danny Wuerffel and how inconsistent he could be in his first two years. Same for Rex Grossman his first year. I honestly think Grier has all the attributes to get to the NFL. The main thing is he has to learn he shouldn't try to force every ball in there. That will come with coaching and time. So I think we have our QB for the next 3 or 4 years...which is a huge bright spot. I agree at this point, he needs to be the starter, for better or for worse. Treon on is a good kid and great competitor, but I think his upside is limited.

- For most of the game, the defense shut down the offense all night, except for a couple of short field situations, a new CB getting burned on his first series, and at the end of the game where they seemed to break down. The new CB looked pretty good after the first series, and remember our best Defensive player - Hargreaves - was out. As stated in the Pcast, the defensive line shut down the EC run and we had enough talent to rotate in some fresh lineman later in the game

There are many things to work on, and most are potentially correctable. We will have to play better to beat SEC competition. Last night, this team wasn't appreciably better than last year's team, but at least with this team I feel like we are going in the right direction.

This is what I hate about playing absolute chumps the first game. They are throwaway games, and everybody thinks the team is wonderful when we rack up 50+ points against a nobody. I tend to think they are harmful in that they build up players confidence too much. This happens almost every year.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
The QB talk is obvious bc it is what most fans care about. With that said any intelligent Gator fan knows this team is not going anywhere this year and neither is Mac. The offensive line is so bad that I can see why Harris plays and agree with it. Mac clearly wants to play Grier but needs Harris also bc of the O-line. Our safety play is awful again (never thought I would be so happy to see Maye but I was) and I lamented about the LB's in another thread, I will say it again, Yes Morrison is hurt but he is a huge liability right now. Going to be a long year, just want to see the quality of play improve and the silly things cleaned up. Then things will get better in the future. With the schedule, 6 wins for this team as it is now would be decent.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
FireFoley;n277948 said:
Our safety play is awful again (never thought I would be so happy to see Maye but I was)
Why? Maye is a big reason the safety play is awful.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
L-boy;n277922 said:
- For most of the game, the defense shut down the offense all night,
350 yards passing isn't in the same zipcode as "shut down the offense all night".

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Law98gator;n278007 said:
350 yards passing isn't in the same zipcode as "shut down the offense all night".

"For most of the game". Gators broke down on the first drive with a new CB getting torched several times, allowed ECU to take advantage of short field opporuntity due to turnover, and then ECU's last touchdown drive. Aside from that, ECU didn't do much of anything the rest of the game.

Yes, I get it, "60 minutes of football", blah blan blah. But it shows the defense can play well. It is better than if they just got shredded the whole night.

Obviously you can't allow those breakdowns against most of SEC competition.

2ndAmend

Oct 3, 2014
Dearest Mr. Ox: You know, I love you like a red headed step-child... and I have agreed with you until last night... Gator Nation psyche is truly fragile and last weeks performance gave us all false hopes... right now, as much as we hoped WG was the guy (good or bad), from this point forward, I'll pray for the best.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
2ndAmend;n278099 said:
Dearest Mr. Ox: You know, I love you like a red headed step-child... and I have agreed with you until last night... Gator Nation psyche is truly fragile and last weeks performance gave us all false hopes... right now, as much as we hoped WG was the guy (good or bad), from this point forward, I'll pray for the best.

This is the season Old Yeller gets taken behind the barn and shot. Better times are ahead, though. Go Gators!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator