The Oxrageous Podcast - Tennessee post-game thoughts

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Spot on, TH better get the start next week.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n69217 said:
It is hard for me to get excited about a win when I know it means Muschamp may be here for another year. The schedule plays out that if he beats LSU there is a good chance he'll finish 7-4 which is good enough to keep his job in Foley's eyes (IMO). Then we get to have another 8-4 or 7-5 year again next year. :suicide:

As usual, another great podcast Ox.
My thoughts to a T

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good stuff. I can't disagree with anything in that podcast.

Treon needs to be handed the keys, and the offense needs heavy doses of Jones, KT, Brown, Lane, etc. Ease the kid in. Don't ask him to win ballgames - expect him to manage the players around him. Throw easy routes to help the running game. Occasionally stretch the field with a long pass that will either be caught, or fall harmlessly to the ground. As his grasp of the offense and confidence grows, put more responsibility on his arm - make our offense multi-dimensional. The good news is, we have the backfield to do this.

It is amazing what even an ugly win will do. Things don't seem as dark as they did a mere 24 hours ago.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Harris should have been handed the keys from the start. We had a bye week to get him ready, for God's sake. Had he done so, we probably would have blown UT off the map.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n69867 said:
Harris should have been handed the keys from the start. We had a bye week to get him ready, for God's sake. Had he done so, we probably would have blown UT off the map.

Agreed, but you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. And think of how much more "ready" he'd be for the the brutal stretch starting next week if he'd he'd had the extra practice reps and game experience heading into yesterday. Still, he got some incredibly valuable game experience against a rival in a tough environment. That's something.

Hopefully Treon will get all (or most) of the first team reps in practice this week as his development begins in earnest.

Though it was just one win, and an ugly one at that, I feel twinges of optimism for the first time in a very long time.

DeltaGlamma

Born a Gator
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Enjoyed the podcast and agree with all you said,Ox....sure hope we don't see JD under center next week but would not surprise me one bit.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n69138 said:
There is no doubt, our Defense played well today. Huge turn around from the previous 2 games.

Treon Harris gave our offense life. It doesn't matter that he's a freshman. It doesn't matter that he's only practiced with the 2nd team. It doesn't matter that he doesn't know all the playbook yet. What matters is the TEAM responded to him. The entire team took on a new persona when Treon entered the game. 3 quarters of dropped balls, missed blocks, overthrows, tipped balls intercepted, 0 points. In comes Treon and he marches the team to 10 points and the victory. Some guys got the "it" factor and some don't. I don't hate Jeff Driskel. I think he's a great kid and a fine Gator ambassador, but he just doesn't have what it takes to pick a team up when they're down and get them back on the right track. Apparently Treon does.

My brother-in-law was a starting DT under Erk/Vince at UGA back in the late 70s (OK, I married into an uber-Dog family, get over it). And what I bolded is the point he made after I told him about what transpired, and he's said it before. Just because a QB (or, on my brother-in-law's side of the ball, a MLB) can play doesn't mean he can LEAD. Treon didn't perform as the second coming of Tim, or Chris Leak, he just executed as he was supposed to, and, most importantly, was calm and led the team. Chris did it as a true freshman in 2003. Don Gaffney did it as mid-season replacement (a sophomore) in 1973. I am certain that Treon can do it as a freshman this year. And, as you pointed out, I too don't hate on JD, he's a great kid and has tried real hard - perhaps, too hard. But he just doesn't have that "it factor" to lead the team. Apparently, Treon does.

And, if he really shows us that he's that cool (or maybe cold as ice) under pressure, we can call him Freon-Treon.

SaltyGator

Make the Gators great again!
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
So where's this weeks podcast!?! You gonna make us wait till Saturday?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator