The primary role of the sports message board

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by oxrageous, Sep 9, 2018.

1. GBHOR

GBHOR Pickled Gator
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $94
    Ratings:
    +690 / -8
    I honestly believe the best FB programs in the country "do what it takes to win" and we've done that and won(Meyer), and with the HB coach he introduced offense like the SEC hadn't seen. I believe that the University doesn't have the inclination (sack) to do what it takes investment wise, and/or until there's some new offensive innovation that could turn things around quickly, we may done.

• diehardg8r

diehardg8r Junior Member

Oxbucks:
      $668
      Ratings:
      +2,544 / -43
      Yep. That sucks.

• AugustaGator

AugustaGator Junior Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,566
      Ratings:
      +4,380 / -84
      Strategically I’d not invest much money. It’s a cash cow that will become a dog. It’s not a star.

• '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $5,816
        Ratings:
        +11,717 / -301
        I remember feeling insanely frustrated watching my beloved Blackhawks lose a close game when I was nine years old. My parents had company over upstairs.

I walked upstairs and announced I was going to stab the ref in the heart for putting Mikita in the penalty box late in the final period.

They all looked at me like I had just announced my mother sucked c*cks in hell.

• deuce

deuce Mentally Challenged
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $354
          Ratings:
          +1,462 / -54
          I don't get the over reaction....... Being a Gator fan isn't the most important thing in my life, although it's in the Top 10. it's also not what determines if my life has value or not. Are there really people who when asked to describe themselves say I'm a Gator first?

Gatorchatter.com is a very good thing!

• Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm I'm wearing Khakis, why?

Oxbucks:
            $23
            Ratings:
            +200 / -2
            After breaking several TV's, I quit watching or listening to Gator games. My life is less stressful now.

• SaltyGator

SaltyGator Make the Gators great again!
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $1,089
              Ratings:
              +153 / -2
              I was pissed too, but the venting on chat helped (along with a 5th of crown)! I was really good until my cousin (a criminole) started boasting on FB the they won and couldn't believe we lost to UK. I had to let him have it at that point. I mean, they got their asses handed to them for two straight games. Four lucky minutes and another interception from the 1 star QB they were playing against gave them a win. Come on, we're not that bad, yet...

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Wait til 2025
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $15,504
              Ratings:
              +39,635 / -1,243
              I'd resist talking shyt to a team that we've beaten once in the last decade.

Who am I kidding? fvkk all clowns. Remind him that they lost to Kintucky first.

#28 Swamp Donkey, Sep 10, 2018
              Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
              • SaltyGator

SaltyGator Make the Gators great again!
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $1,089
                Ratings:
                +153 / -2
                & yes, to the point of Ox's post, this forum is super helpful. I was definitely one of the ones standing in my living room and yelling at the TV when my wife and I first started dating. Then along come gatorchatter and I can't remember the last time I threw the remote control. Thanks Aaron, you have made the world a better place!

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $2,625
                  Ratings:
                  +9,742 / -41
                  I think NV shot a man. Reason being he just wanted to watch him die. Reno authorities have been notified. Dubs is rolling out the welcome mat at Folsom.

• SamIamGator92

SamIamGator92 Gator - Jedi - Pumper
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $504
                    Ratings:
                    +577 / -66
                    Catharthis. Commiseration. Comedy. Lately, that’s what this board is for me.

• PaulDrake

PaulDrake Della Street's Baby Daddy
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $227
                    Ratings:
                    +653 / -12
                    It's amazing to me how much over reaction one can expect after a loss or a series of losses. My god, Mullen inherited a frickin' dog of a program. It's like everyone has mental whiteout from the last two coaches who turned out to be unbelievably shyt hires. Hell, Mullen may turn out to be three in a row, who knows. But the guy inherited a program that has been stripped of everything that made it competitive. Mullen has more than a mountain to climb, he has an Everest times two. I'm not a pumper because I can throw him under the bus just as fast as everyone else that have build in pessimistic view points. But for the love of god I'm going to five the guy a shot and it may take a year or two.

As for this board it's a god send and I can't thank Ox enough for the work he's done and is doing. I like talking and sharing Gatordom with like minded fans. I may go spells without contributing but I am constantly reading and checking in when I don't have much to say. I'm not as articulate or insight as most on here but I like to jump in and prove I'm an idiot once in a while by opening my mouth. As for being attacked big deal. I've been reamed by experts over my lifetime and the stuff I see and hear on this board is amateur at best. Keyboard courage is the cheapest commodity there is which means it's not anything to lose sleep over. But I'm at the point that I can't imagine NOT having this board to come to. The others pall in comparison which says all you need to know about Aaron [Ox]. Anyway, I'll continue to be optimistic that somewhere down the road we will come out of this and that's part of the fun. If that wasn't true than the Cubs and Red Sox franchises would have folded decades ago.....

• Gator87

Gator87 Senior Member
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $378
                      Ratings:
                      +1,379 / -0
                      After many years of living and dying over my favorite sports teams triumphs and failures including a broken remote control that sailed across the room when Warrick Dunn went down the sideline in ‘93 I’ve finally realized that I cared more about winning and losing the games than most of the players did. The last 8 years have taught me not take the losses so hard, if the players don’t care whether they win or lose why should I.

• crosscreekcooter

crosscreekcooter Cunning Linguist
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $977
                        Ratings:
                        +6,084 / -7
                        I wasn't going to say anything but you brought it up. I've heard some weird things about your mom.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Wait til 2025
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $15,504
                          Ratings:
                          +39,635 / -1,243
                          mgtow

• Tay Bang

Tay Bang Sid's Hit Man

Oxbucks:
                          $772
                          Ratings:
                          +1,040 / -15
                          I think it’s perty kewl you started a Gatorchatter message board for Swonkey.

• t-gator

t-gator too sexy for my shirt

Oxbucks:
                            $1,429
                            Ratings:
                            +6,956 / -254
                            How did I miss this one? I'm gonna apologize. I was probably the most out of line Saturday night of the bunch. The only time ox has had to ban me which it was justified. I was laughing as I typed though lol

• NVGator

NVGator Member
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $2,338
                              Ratings:
                              +5,737 / -181
                              There’s a lot of homeless around. Not like he’s gonna be missed.

• G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator Intrepid Chauvinist
                                Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                                $965
                                Ratings:
                                +977 / -33
                                I used to have more of a championship-or-bust mentality, and would be bitterly disappointed at the point in any given sports season when my team of choice was eliminated from contention. That was before any of my teams actually won one. Then I got these, I think in the following order if I've got it right:
                                • Gators (football)
                                • Marlins
                                • Marlins
                                • Gators (basketball)
                                • Heat
                                • Gators (football)
                                • Gators (basketball)
                                • Gators (football)
                                • Heat
                                • Heat
                                • Gators (baseball)
                                The first one, the Gators in '96, felt fantastic when it happened. Finally!

But shortly afterwards, I had sort of an epiphany: My life hadn't changed one bit! I still had to go to my same old job. Nobody was more impressed with me than they'd been before. I didn't get a ring, or a trophy, or certainly not a cash prize. Nobody carried me around on their shoulders. And the thing is, even if they did, they would've had to put me down eventually. Life goes on, no different than before.

I guess after investing all that time, emotion and money in pursuit of that elusive goal of seeing my team win it all, I was expecting...I don't know. Something more than an opportunity to buy a Nat'l Champs t-shirt, and one round of begrudging congrats from my co-workers?

I'd hate to call it disillusion, but it did feel like kind of a let down. That feeling soon passed, though, and I wanted to win another one.

Then, "I" did win another one. Or rather, one of my teams did. And then another, and another, and another. After each one, it became progressively less and less of a big deal. I came to realize something, and I know it sounds like a super-cheesy cliché, but it's true: The real joy doesn't come from reaching the mountaintop; it comes from the climb.

I am a sports fan. I like watching games. I love when my team wins...that game. That day. I'm not fixated on "winning it all," because as I've learned, that joy is fleeting and inconsequential in terms of its real impact on my life.

I'm not really sure the point of this, other than to share my personal perspective. I'm not trying to tell anyone else how to think or approach things, but I do feel like my day-to-day outlook on following sports is a healthy one. For me it is, anyway.

Let's put it this way: You may not believe me, but I was happy and relieved when LeBron James left my Miami Heat, and I'd never want him back. I don't think it would be much fun to be an Alabama fan or a New England Patriots fan, for the same reason. It's a drag to be stuck with that championship-or-bust mentality. For me, it kills the joy of just watching and enjoying each individual game.

It's not "my" win when my team wins; I don't play on the team. By the same token, a loss is not "my" loss, so I don't take it to heart too much. I just like watching games, not taking anything for granted, and not knowing what I'm gonna get.

That's it. Thanks for reading my ramblings if you made it this far.

[​IMG]

• Theologator

Theologator Enchanter

Oxbucks:
                                  $2,189
                                  Ratings:
                                  +2,899 / -21
                                  FIFY