The Real Spring Practice Thread

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I sure hope Franks is showing more touch in practice than in the videos we are seeing. In high school, whether it is a 5 yard, 15 yard, or 40 yard pass the velocity was the same. In the little video we've seen at UF, it is the same thing. Those receivers better learn to catch.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LOL

A Gator looked good in practice? The Donkey is willing to complain about anything.
IDK, I thought Donkey's comment was funny (and on point).
It was only one play - no pressure, and Cleveland did all the work, with minimal contact from Putu.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The pass hit Cleveland in stride, something we haven't seen for a while.

Did you watch the previous video? Franks was on fire and trask looked like doo-doo. Franks has come a long way. I have little doubt he emerges as the back up to LDR.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Did you watch the previous video? Franks was on fire and trask looked like doo-doo. Franks has come a long way. I have little doubt he emerges as the back up to LDR.
You probably believe that garbage too :rotfl:

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
With Chauncey, Wilson, Henderson and Duke. Putu will just be a special teams guy, so i'm not concerned with watching him get roasted.
I'm sure he will be an upgrade from Thompson at gunner. Also I could see Stewart getting into the rotation at safety, and if he does well we can leave CG at corner.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here's another one with some interesting discussion. Skip to about the 25 minute mark if you don't care to listen to the Bball talk before they get into the football stuff.

And some footage from yesterday's practice:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I sure hope Franks is showing more touch in practice than in the videos we are seeing. In high school, whether it is a 5 yard, 15 yard, or 40 yard pass the velocity was the same. In the little video we've seen at UF, it is the same thing. Those receivers better learn to catch.

Even more than that we better hope he learns you don't throw the ball when a defender is sitting there in great position to break on the pass and intercept it. He has looked blind on that during his limited play since leaving high school. Trying to decipher the real truth about practice makes you wonder how that progression is coming along.

Last edited:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Still getting the feeling Franks is having reading defense issues or som
Even more than that we better hope he learns you don't throw the ball when a defender is sitting there in great position to break on the pass and intercept it.

I don't know how he is progressing in that area. It is impossible to know. My issue with Franks is his mechanics. He overthrew a few times in that video as well as high on a couple of occasions and it was easy to see why. That probably isn't getting fixed anytime soon. What we've seen from Franks so far is what we'll see during the season if he is the starter. He'll be wildly inconsistent. My hope is that Trask overcomes his personality issue and takes the job.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It is virtually impossible to really get any idea how good we are going to be during Spring practice or the O&B game. This stuff just gives us that football fix for a couple weeks until the season starts.

Del Rio looked great at the O&B game and we know what happened there.

It is fun to look and listen, but anybody thinking they are going to get a real understanding of how good we are going to be is kidding themselves.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know how he is progressing in that area. It is impossible to know. My issue with Franks is his mechanics. He overthrew a few times in that video as well as high on a couple of occasions and it was easy to see why. That probably isn't getting fixed anytime soon. What we've seen from Franks so far is what we'll see during the season if he is the starter. He'll be wildly inconsistent. My hope is that Trask overcomes his personality issue and takes the job.

Yep I am trying not to 100% prejudge but its hard not to after the past 7 years at that position. I see what you are seeing and he has a tendency to also gun the ball high on those shorter to short mid range routes which lead to balls bouncing in the air dangerously in addition to the other things pointed out. My prediction now is they will start Franks knowing they get more leeway if he crashes and burns early than if they started Trask first since he isn't the blue chipper but if Trask gets the start against Michigan it means he was clearly the best option based on practice anyway.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Here's another one with some interesting discussion. Skip to about the 25 minute mark if you don't care to listen to the Bball talk before they get into the football stuff.

And some footage from yesterday's practice:

Telfort looks as big as a house in the Oline drills. He makes Ivey look small.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier has now coached Del Rio for four years dating back to their Alabama days. Nussmeier expects him to be in contention for the job once he’s healthy.

“I do,” Nussmeier said.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/healthy-can-florida-qb-luke-del-rio-win-starting-job-back

:facepalm: :eek3: :cry2: :barfaway:

Of course he is. i'm telling you guys now: the only way he will not be the starter on opening day is if he has not recovered from his surgery

The only reason there is so much stuff on Trask and Franks right now is because Del Rio is not practicing.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If we had top-smart coaches they could draw some needed, important conclusions from watching these lily-bad-ass practices. If last year in these QB drills a couplet of coaches clicked stopwatches timing how long a 10-yard turnaround pass took to reach the hands of the WR, then they could compare F to T and even to LDR. I think F&T both are getting the ball to the WR quicker than LDR. Such quickers this season will result in more completions, more time for yards after catch or breakaways. It's an important time; bet nobody's timing it... duh.

From what little glimpses I've gotten from these highlight (promo) films both F & T throw the ball with a lot more zip on it. Therefore, our receivers have an obligation to improve snagging these harder throws. Work on it -- hang from the doorjamb by your fingers for as long as you can, everywhere you go. Each strengthening this way takes about 15 seconds each hang. It's the periodic spacing that makes the exercise work.

Also, of course, they could grab a'hold of Swonky's head while he's posting and keep a'hold as it swells.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Of course he is. i'm telling you guys now: the only way he will not be the starter on opening day is if he has not recovered from his surgery

The only reason there is so much stuff on Trask and Franks right now is because Del Rio is not practicing.
So you conclude that based on what he says about LDR.....but he says all the same crap for Trask and Franks, even calls Toney "impressive" I provided the links before.

Fact of the matter is, some of you are willing LDR to be the starter. So much hate for Mac and Nuss (not that it isn't unfounded) that many of you will jump to irrational conclusions such as there being no way anyone other than LDR will be the starting QB.

I'm willing to place my ox bucks on the line, really for bragging rights of course, and will take anyone that wants to bet. LDR will not be the starter against Michigan....so which one of you that keeps saying LDR will be the starter wants to make the bet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator