The Ryder Cup...

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was off on Friday and got to watch both the afternoon and morning sessions. I was pleased to be treated to some really good golf. As most might know by now, the Americans swept the foursomes in the mornings, leading some to believe that it was over with the early 4-0 lead and the cup was going to definitely be returning to American soil after a long hiatus. The fast start also seemed to confirm Captain Davis Love III's evaluation that this year's team was maybe the most talented ever assembled. Almost on cue, the Euros rebounded in the afternoon four ball, winning 3 of the four matches, and leaving the points at a competitive 5-3.

Looking at the rosters of the two teams, America has a distinct advantage over Europe in terms of talent and experience. If the support group of sub-captains means anything, you've got to believe that Tiger, Furyk, and maybe even Bubba Watson have a lot they can add in terms of Ryder Cup and competitive experience overall. But those that play and follow golf know that golf is probably 90% or so mental and factors beyond the specific Ryder Cup or match play experience a player has or lacks, such as their ability to overcome a deficit or keep the pedal on the gas with a lead, how good they are at knowing when to take a chance and when to play safe and consistently executing, and how well they brother-in-law in the team competitions is the true rub. To wit, we've seen Speith and Reed for America and Stenson and Rose for Europe play some great individual and team golf to each go 1-1 while being paired together in both sessions. The long guys, Dustin Johnson and Rory McIlroy, haven't disappointed with both bombing drives where most of us average guys might need a cab to get to and making a lot of putts, a part of their games that at one point many thought was a giant chink in their armor. We've seen Lee Westwood play like a C player in the $5 gangsomes, Mickelson display his trademark short game and hit his drives everywhere but the fairway, and Sergio show why he is probably still the best not to have won a major (though his clock is ticking).

Today and Sunday should be just as entertaining and competitive, but if I had to forecast a conclusion it would have America winning and regaining the cup. Their overall talent and experience should bolster them and Saturday's matches where Europe's relatively unknowns will play could likely make a significant difference. However it goes, Sunday has the potential for some great individual match ups. Johnson and McIlroy, Stenson and Speith, Rose and Kuchar, and Reed and Garcia would be some I'd love to watch if the captains cooperate. This great golf without the sometimes stagnancy that you can have in any tournament that isn't a major and the 45,000+ rowdy spectators along with continental pride gives it an appeal akin to a much faster moving sport.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I bump this along in case some might want to read or discuss after CFB Saturday. Some great golf on the morning of day 2. Two great sequences had Mickelson holing a cross country putt to seemingly win a whole and get he and Fowler back to 1 down only to see Europe calmly sink their putt with pressure on for the half. The other was Reed holing a chip from the second cut behind the hole to likely win the hole and having his counterpart respond likewise. We Sunday golfers have to go into therapy if we miss a 4-footer to lose a $2 skin. These guys know how to handle a pressure shot that we can only dream of.

As I type, McIlroy, who has really played lights out thus far, seems to be unraveling a bit after missing a short oar put to half and bringing Mickelson and Fowler within 1 and then spraying his drive right into what looks like the Apalachicola National Forest with his ensuing tee shot. Pressure in this event makes for great golf and sports (if not athletic) theatre! BTW, McIlroy's partner hit a phenomenal recovery from the "Birmingham Jail!" Stay tuned.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just some great golf and the Captains' strategies are very interesting to watch. Europe finishes morning of day 2 with a 2-1-1 for 2 and 1/2 points. Darren Clark was probably looking at an even split as a best case scenario with getting his two youngsters some experience (playing them for the future as much as anything), but the Spaniards came back from the dead to gain a half and some icing. Speith and Reed have played some great golf, but a couple of mistakes opened the door for Garcia and Cabrerra Bello.

If the US goes on to win, Snedeker may well be the unsung hero and Koepka the future star. They have paired well together. I've been flipping on commercials from the Vandy game. I'll get to watch golf during the half. Great golf and Gator football (even though we look flat to inconsistent)...this almost like sex for an old guy!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
US poised to go up by 3 after the afternoon. See saw battle with a lot of swings, great shots and emotions. Reed and Speith are money together as are McIlroy and Pieters. Westwood played well early but ended up choking away what should have been a sure point for the Euros. A Captain's pick bust. Of course, as I just typed this, he hits his approach to 18 to about 4 feet. Of course, he's missed 3 of these today, so we'll see if what he does with his shot at redemption. Mickelson has played well and just ended his match with a birdie. Looking good for our countrymen. Anything can happen in singles and the pairings will be interesting, but we've got the momentum I think.

Watching with my daughter and she came up with some Ryder Cup nicknames, some a la Len Berman. Others, you have to know music or other useless trivia to get. Maybe kinda corny, but here goes:
  • Matt "Rock 'n Roll Hoochy Kuchar"
  • J.B. "Mobile" Holmes (he's from Kentucky)
  • Patrick "Starfish" Reed (who dropped several GD bombs on audio today)
  • Phil "eTrade" Mickelson
  • Ryan "Moore, Moore, Moore" (gotta know your music)
  • Sergio "Maximus" Garcia
  • Jordan "Speith Impediment"
  • Jimmy Walker, "Texas Ranger"
  • Justin "Kissed by a Rose"
  • Rory "The Baby-Faced Assassin" McIlroy
In other golf news, they've been advertising Tiger' return to competition. Back is better. Must have stopped taking his meals at Waffle House, iHop, etc.

*And on cue, Westwood missed the gimme. Clarke better keep someone at his side until they get back to England.

Last edited:

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hope the boys can finish it out tomorrow, on paper we should have the advantage in the singles format.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great start with the singles. Reed and McIlroy are putting on a real show. Matching each other blow for blow. Might be who blinks first. I haven't been a fan of all the rowdy fans and player bravado, but it's growing on me. A lot of pride on both sides. I think Europe can keep it tight, but US prevails when all said and done. Clarke's strategy was to put his best out first, hoping for a bunch of wins/points and some needed momentum for his rookies and lesser players in the later groups. We'll see how good a strategy it was in the aftermath. As I said earlier, this good theatre.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
McIlroy flinched. US four points away with three matches complete (Reed defeated McIlroy, Stenson and Pieters likewise with Speith and Holmes respectively). Lot of red on the board. Cup coming back to the USA.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great play today! Tough to see Speith go down they way he did tough.

Phil is playing his best golf of this year today.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
USA! Over except the clean up matches. How fitting that the last Captain's pick, Ryan Moore, secured the winning point. Reed was the MVP. Short game off the chart. Best match was Phil and Sergio.19 birdies between them in a tie. Snedeker played well as a pick. Best rookies were Pieters and Koepka. Great golf. USA was supposed to win with a stronger line up and they did...convincingly. Already looking forward to the next one!

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Poor Rickie :lol: (single guy)

CtznwQDW8AIJ-NM.jpg

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Great day to watch on Sunday! At one point early on Europe was either leading every match or it was tied.

Amazing front 9 from both Reed and McIlroy. They continued to match each other with great clutch putts. Phil and Sergio's match was also drama-filled.

First time I can recall that every match on Sunday was close. Usually there are a couple of routs but not yesterday. Glad that DL-III was able to win as captain this time after his last try.

Reed has a checkered past but he was definitely the MVP for the U.S.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunately this ryder cup was the least amount I've watched in a long time. What little i did catch on Sunday though was phenomenal. Can't wait for 2018

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator