The Saban Coaching Tree

Schwifty

Sep 4, 2016
Poking my head out of the lurker's hole for a bit...

We've been burned not once, but twice with Saban disciples. Whenever the next coaching search gets underway (hopefully sooner rather than later), we need to get someone as far removed from that coaching tree as possible. Set the tree on fire for all that I care.

Forget trying to be like Bama. Buck Fama. I want to be the Florida by-god Fightin' Gators.

Last edited:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No, I totally agree. It's becoming quite clear the Saban tree is always successful @Bama because it's Bama under Saban and the roster is full of blue chippers. As soon as any of them get off on their own, you find out what they're really made of. The problem with Mac was he had a fair bit of success at his first HC gig. Didn't set the world on fire, but he did take a terrible team and turn them into 10 wins I think by year 3, each year getting better and better. I thought maybe he could do well here with the kind of recruits UF usually gets, but unfortunately his recruiting the first couple of years was sub par by UF standards and we're seeing the results of those 2 years on the field now. He got some fantastic looking 3* guys those first two years. Unfortunately, they're still 3*s, even if they're the best kind of 3*s you can get your hands on. They just can't compete against blue chippers and win the 1vs1 battles all day.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I just posted something in the press conference thread about innate ability which could pertain to here. I won;t rehash, but I understand the thought. Saban leaves no stone unturned and is the very best. AD's are hoping that the limbs have learned from the tree. The important things can't be learned they are innate.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It really is embarrassing that the people in charge here have decided to abandon our identity and have tried so hard to turn us into Bama.

We really need to clean house in the athletic department before we can even begin to put this program back together.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
There are a couple of things in particular I despise about the "Bama Way".
One is their overwhelming distain for turnovers. They treat an interception or fumble like it's the worst thing that could ever happen to a team, regardless of the circumstances.

Consequently teams like Florida, while trying to copy the "Bama Way", play way too cautiously on offense and resist taking a chance for fear of turning the ball over.

The other thing that reflects the "Bama Way" is the complete and total control of information. Closed practice, press conferences lacking any kind of transparency in communicating what's really going on with the team. The result is, as we saw this weekend, a feeling that fans had been handed a plate full of complete propaganda.

Do they not believe members of the media who are local and follow the team on a regular basis can can watch practice and keep important information confidential. At least they would be able to give us some kind of general idea as to what's really happening instead of the false positives we're being fed.

There are other things about the 'Bama Way" that bug me but those two in particular stand out.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
There are a couple of things in particular I despise about the "Bama Way".
One is their overwhelming distain for turnovers. They treat an interception or fumble like it's the worst thing that could ever happen to a team, regardless of the circumstances.

Consequently teams like Florida, while trying to copy the "Bama Way", play way too cautiously on offense and resist taking a chance for fear of turning the ball over.

The other thing that reflects the "Bama Way" is the complete and total control of information. Closed practice, press conferences lacking any kind of transparency in communicating what's really going on with the team. The result is, as we saw this weekend, a feeling that fans had been handed a plate full of complete propaganda.

Do they not believe members of the media who are local and follow the team on a regular basis can can watch practice and keep important information confidential. At least they would be able to give us some kind of general idea as to what's really happening instead of the false positives we're being fed.

There are other things about the 'Bama Way" that bug me but those two in particular stand out.

THIS ^ ALL OF THIS. I thought those exact things too about the "Bama way" and Im sure others have similiar thoughts in regards to this.

Like you mentioned, it seems saban and his coaching tree hate turnovers more than they like scoring points. As a result, given two options being
option 1) = punt on the first series of a drive
option2) = move the ball right down the field and get to the opponents 1 yard line but throw an interception in the endzone in an attempt to score

....I'm inclined to believe the Saban tree would choose option 1 beacuse turnovers drive them crazy. Franks being taken out after fumbling even though he wasnt doing that bad supports this. (Franks had nice touch and spirals when he threw).

To me, that's how ultra conservative the offensive mindset is. They ALL try to start running the clock out/play even more conservative the earliest they can do so, sometimes even when the other team has a chance to comeback (see Tenn game last year in second half) so that they dont have to worry/agonize over possibly throwing interceptions and letting the other team back in the game.

Bama is the exceptions because they ALWAYS have the best defense on the field and hardly give up any points, so they dont have to score alot. In order to play their type of ball, you have to have THE BEST and not just good defense or it wont work...

Last edited:

RobertPooner

BANNED
Sep 4, 2015
Mac is the straight garbage doo doo that fell off that dead tree and landed in the pile next to Chimp.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought we went with Z to see if the team would rally around him, I.e. block. That failed, but he stayed in, so I like this theory much better.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Poking my head out of the lurker's hole for a bit...

We've been burned not once, but twice with Saban disciples. Whenever the next coaching search gets underway (hopefully sooner rather than later), we need to get someone as far removed from that coaching tree as possible. Set the tree on fire for all that I care.

Forget trying to be like Bama. Buck Fama. I want to be the Florida by-god Fightin' Gators.

edit: merge this into the head coach shopping thread if needed.
Love the Avatar and name. We're getting schwifty in here!
Going with the Saban coaching tree was a mistake. Twice. Foley didn't learn from his mistake with Muschamp. It's mind boggling. Muschamp was so bad you'd think Foley would've thought of a better option than McElwain. Hindsight is 20/20 but McElwain is as bad as muschamp. Is some ways he's worse. In a couple ways he's been better.
There's dozens of better options out there and none of them should be a Saban guy. Here's the checklist:
Offense oriented guy
Head Coaching exp. Rq
Good recruiter
No more coaches from Saban tree
No former Georgia Bulldogs
Am I missing anything?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't disagree with this thinking. Recruit and develop fast, playmaking, ballhawking Florida types. Get the ball in space to the playmakers, line up four wideouts, take chances downfield, open up the field, score points, get after the quarterback. Win.

Our best teams became their best by doing their best impression of the Florida way. No reason why we shouldn't return to that way of thinking.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our best teams became their best by doing their best impression of the Florida way. No reason why we shouldn't return to that way of thinking.
Butters has ZERO clue how to do that. To him it is avoid turnovers, punt and play defense. That will never change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator