The SEC is on the verge of being the best conference in college basketball

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Might be two years away. But I was watching the SEC coaches roundtable on the SEC network. There is some coaching talent in the league. I haven't really followed the off-season so I didn't know the depth that we had in coaches.

Calipari Kentucky. White at UF. Avery Johnson at Bama. Rick Barnes at Tennessee. Ben Howland at Miss St.

I don't think the SEC has ever been this deep in coaching talent. With talent developers like this, recruits will come.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You are insane.

The SEC is nowhere close to the ACC or Big 10 in basketball. With Billy gone and Florida down the SEC is a one basketball school conference until somebody can consistently challenge UK again. Barnes won't do it, Pearl at Auburn won't... we have no idea what we have in White, nobody knows of Avery Johnson can recruit at Bama consistently and Ben Howland couldn't succeed at UCLA so why do we think he will be great at Miss ST?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;312090 said:
You are insane.

The SEC is nowhere close to the ACC or Big 10 in basketball. With Billy gone and Florida down the SEC is a one basketball school conference until somebody can consistently challenge UK again. Barnes won't do it, Pearl at Auburn won't... we have no idea what we have in White, nobody knows of Avery Johnson can recruit at Bama consistently and Ben Howland couldn't succeed at UCLA so why do we think he will be great at Miss ST?

Barnes - One of the best coaches Texas ever had. Maybe the best. I don't know Texas' basketball history. What I do know is that Texas routinely fought for number one seeds under Barnes.

Pearl - I don't know how I forgot about him… He had Tennessee playing it's best basketball underneath him and maybe forever. Sure he is sloppy looking, and a bit douche-y, but the guy can recruit and he can coach. I don't know what Donovan's record was against him but I don't believe that it was a dominant one if it was a winning record at all. Not saying that he was a better coach than Donovan by any stretch of the imagination. Just that he's a really good one.

Howland made USC relevant for the first time in forever. Unfortunately they ran up against who I think is the greatest college basketball team of the last 30 years in our Florida Gators. It's really, really, really, difficult to make it to the NCG.

The jury is out on Avery and White. I have no idea about our coach. I'll know a lot more once the season gets underway. I have no assessment at all. As far as Avery is concerned, he did a really solid job in the NBA. And of course he played at the highest level. How will that translate? I don't know. But I think it's intriguing.

If the coaching talent translates the way that it should, and with the national exposure of the SEC, I think you could see a big rise in basketball. It's not anything like football where it could take 5 to 6 years to build a program.

Fewer players, quicker turnover, and a bigger impact by young players can lead to quicker success IMO.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n312090 said:
You are insane.

Lotsa truth in this post. I'd say the SEC isn't even close to the Big12 either. None of those coaches have ever won anything of consequence, other than Ben getting UCLA to the finals...and losing. While they all MIGHT turn out to be great hires, we simply don't know at this point.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I have heard quite a few talking heads saying Vandy will be real good this season.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just care about us playing really good basketball. Worried about TOs and FTs ??

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;312098 said:
Lotsa truth in this post. I'd say the SEC isn't even close to the Big12 either. None of those coaches have ever won anything of consequence, other than Ben getting UCLA to the finals...and losing. While they all MIGHT turn out to be great hires, we simply don't know at this point.

Yeah that's right. UCLA. Think I put USC. I like what the conference is doing though. They're investing their money in their coaches. They already have the TV exposure. And Kentucky is actually good for the conference from an exposure standpoint as well.

That's why I said the verge. I like that they're not sitting on their hands and they're trying to push the conference to an elite level. The biggest issue with the SEC, in my opinion, is that they don't have the skill players to match other regions of the country. I grew up in colder climates. People play basketball outside all the time. You just don't see that in the Southeast. It's too effing hot. I put a basketball hoop up on my driveway for my kids and we can't even shoot hoops here in Tampa. Within 10 minutes we can't breathe due to the heat and humidity.

There is size and length down here. But skill is greatly lacking. Since you can't depend on your region to supply you the players that you need, you'll need to be able to recruit in other areas of the country. And good coaching will facilitate that.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
League is loaded. 2 of 5 first team all americans from SEC. Should have strong representation in top 25 and kick ass in intra-divisional schedule. Should have up to 6 teams in NCAA. Gator J is right. SEC BB on the rise.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Seth Greenberg picked Vandy in the final four this year, and Stallings as national COY. VANDY?

But, I have to agree with ATX. Too many unknowns. However, I think coach White will be a great coach at UF.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n312086 said:
Might be two years away. But I was watching the SEC coaches roundtable on the SEC network. There is some coaching talent in the league. I haven't really followed the off-season so I didn't know the depth that we had in coaches.

Calipari Kentucky. White at UF. Avery Johnson at Bama. Rick Barnes at Tennessee. Ben Howland at Miss St.

I don't think the SEC has ever been this deep in coaching talent. With talent developers like this, recruits will come.

:crazy:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Barnes is a colossal tool, just see how he acted at Clem Tech while in the ACC. He'll fit in fine in Knoxville.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Coaches are one thing, but players are something else. Without the talent it is difficult to have success from top to bottom in a league. I hope we at least get back to where we were previously, I don't worry about the rest of the league. In fact having them not premo is better.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
College basketball is still like football before all the tv deals and scholarship limits. With how small recruiting classes are it will be a long time if ever before the big legendary programs like Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, UNC, Syracuse, etc stop getting most of the talent and there only being 10 legitimate teams that could win it all every year. Don't get me wrong some team might have a once in a lifetime class like the 04's or a senior loaded team and win it all, but that is not the norm anymore. Chances are if you get a good player these days they are gone after a year, want to play at a school and with others that can win that first year, and you are left with guys that can only play in Europe if not.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Its definitely on the uprise. The notion that Rick Barnes and Ben Howland haven't done anything is hilarious.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Rick Barnes couldn't make it out of the first weekend of the tournament with Kevin Durant. Think about that for a second.

Howland had a nice run at UCLA, but subsequently buried the program in 0.0 seconds flat.

Someone please explain how Pearl is going to get any kind of basketball talent to go to MFing Auburn. Same with Avery Johnson at Bama.

SEC just isn't a basketball conference.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just thought I should bring this up again with Barnes and Pearl at 1 and 2 in the SEC tournament.

Coaching is deep. We’ll see how this all plays out in the tournament.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Rick Barnes couldn't make it out of the first weekend of the tournament with Kevin Durant. Think about that for a second.

Howland had a nice run at UCLA, but subsequently buried the program in 0.0 seconds flat.

Someone please explain how Pearl is going to get any kind of basketball talent to go to MFing Auburn. Same with Avery Johnson at Bama.

SEC just isn't a basketball conference.
Nailed it! :lol2:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great post from the past! Very prophetic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator