The Spring League is coming...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is a great opportunity for player development. Will be interesting to see what becomes of this league. It's not trying to compete w/ the NFL/CFL/AFL. It's trying to help players develop so they can get picked up by one of the real leagues.

There are 4 teams w/ 40 man rosters that will play 6 total games each (2 games vs. each of the other 3 teams). Players receive room & meals, but no pay.

https://www.thespringleague.com/faq

ABOUT:

The Spring League was created in early 2016 to serve as an instructional league and developmental platform for professional football talent. All teams conduct practices and "live" exhibition games that are played in accordance to NFL rules. Our teaching staffs are composed exclusively of individuals with NFL coaching experience. On field practices and games are supplemented with classroom instruction and film study.

The League is headquartered at The Greenbrier Resort's football facility and sports performance center, which is located in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. This state of the art complex has played host to the New Orleans Saints, Arizona Cardinals and New England Patriots of the National Football League.

From coachingsearch:

Spring League: The six-game league that begins next week has announced that coaches involved in the league will include former Bills defensive backs coach Donnie Henderson, former Bears offensive coordinator Terry Shea, former Virginia offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild and former Alderson Broaddus head coach Dennis Creehan, according to Pro Football Talk. It is unclear what their roles will be.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Sounds interesting but I wonder at the economics perhaps folks staying there are being counted in.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I am sure ESPN will swoop in to give us more made-for-tv sports programming with empty seats and low viewership. Why would anyone want to sit and watch (much less pay to watch) NFL wannabes when watching the real thing is already duller than dirt and fading?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If it's football and during the offseason....I'll probably watch. I just love Football.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Always thought the NFL should start a real minor league system. Something like 16 teams shared by 1 NFC and 1 AFC team. Put them in cities that would support them but don't have pro teams like San Antonio or Orlando. Stock the teams with the guys you cut and undraft d FA and have NFL coaches developing them. Bring guys up during season if injuries happen that are ready rather than being signed off the streets. Would have lots to work out in regards to your players being signed by other teams, age limit and such. Use it for injury rehab games for guys. He'll go to 32 and have it run by the organization from Top to bottom with your system in place.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Always thought the NFL should start a real minor league system. Something like 16 teams shared by 1 NFC and 1 AFC team. Put them in cities that would support them but don't have pro teams like San Antonio or Orlando. Stock the teams with the guys you cut and undraft d FA and have NFL coaches developing them. Bring guys up during season if injuries happen that are ready rather than being signed off the streets. Would have lots to work out in regards to your players being signed by other teams, age limit and such. Use it for injury rehab games for guys. He'll go to 32 and have it run by the organization from Top to bottom with your system in place.

I disagree on that many teams, but a "minor league" is definitely needed and I think this "Spring League" is a great start. There's also a 8 team developmental league on the west coast that's supposed to start soon (this year, I think).

I think this concept is perfect and they could greatly expand it, as far as what they're doing with it (not in number of teams & players, which they could do if the need arose); this is an opportunity to develop not only players, but also coaches, referees, GM/front office type's, training room personnel, etc.

The concept of being all in one location is key. This league is NOT about fans or making money. It's about developing talent.

With 4 teams you will have about 25 OL, 8 QBs, 12-15 DT's, etc that get the chance to develop their skills against top notch athletes who are just below NFL level (as they are not on an NFL roster yet). It gives the teams players to scout and fill roster spots once the spring season is over. It's only 6 games so they're not beating themselves up.

If this concept works out, I could see the NFL buying it and putting a lot of cash into it to make it work. If each NFL team put in $500K each, plus a contribution from the NFL they'd have $35 million each year to field these teams and pay the players a small salary (which is only fair, but I imagine many would do it for free/food money/room & board regardless). But with that kind of backing, this 4 team league could produce a lot of quality talent to feed the NFL. They always need OL's & DL's. They always need a QB (and a big complaint is that college QBs are not ready for the NFL, w/ college type spread offenses).

I like it and hope it succeeds.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hockey minor league teams have players from multiple NHL teams, so that concept is workable. As this would give more actual playing experience to players it will definitely benefit the types of players that aren't NFL ready after college. I know, I know, there is the CFL..

It could also serve as a purgatory for coaches from both the NFL and college, after doing something stupid , they stay active and in the game until the gravity of their sins have diminished with time.

i like the idea of (sorta) real football in the dead period. as TN G8tr stated,

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.