The Texas Job - AC (After Charlie), Mac on their list

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There is a lot of speculation here, starting with the fact the Charlie will not save his job.

http://thespun.com/college-football/texas-football-coaching-candidates-targets-charlie-strong

USA TODAY’s Dan Wolken is reporting that Texas, if it can’t hire Houston’s Tom Herman, will likely target the following head coaches:

• Florida head coach Jim McElwain
  • North Carolina head coach Larry Fedora
  • Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze
  • Washington head coach Chris Petersen
  • California head coach Sonny Dykes
From USA TODAY:

The key, according to one person with knowledge of the industry, is what happens at Texas. If Charlie Strong can’t save his job, Texas is expected to pursue Houston coach Tom Herman. But if that marriage falls apart for whatever reason, it could trigger a series of dominoes that impact multiple top-25 programs. Among the names that could be mentioned in connection with Texas are Florida’s Jim McElwain, Ole Miss’ Hugh Freeze, Washington’s Chris Petersen, North Carolina’s Larry Fedora and California’s Sonny Dykes. It’s also likely Fisher, Fedora and Freeze will be in play at LSU if interim coach Ed Orgeron doesn’t do enough to be elevated permanently.

Discuss

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wouldn't Texas have to pay us a buyout?
:lol:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If that happened, it's likely that Nuss would be promoted to Head Coach. He's the guy.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting. Mac?

:mac:

...my first thought. I think he's got some ground yet to cover based on the final games last season and some this year. Just don't know if he would be worth the buy out at this point. I can see Fedora being the most viable on that list if Herman, for whatever reason, isn't available. As for LSU, if Orgeron winds up being more than a stop-gap, I'll be surprised. Jimbo may go, but why would he leave as easy a gig as he has now? Barring a year like he has had so far, he's got an easier road into the playoffs than most. Of course I have heard that his ex and Taylor Jacobs have set up housekeeping in Tally. Not confirmed, but I could see it kind of hurting if true.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If I had to pick one from that list, and it had to be "right now", I'd have to go with Fedora.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The obvious move would be to promote geoff collins to hc

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Freeze may want to get the heck out of Oxford before the NCAA drops the hammer, and out of the SEC West as well.

If they hired Mac, it would open the door for our new Cowbell AD to hire Mullen.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of speculation here. If true I am not sure I like any option that would replace Mac. In addition....with just firing Charlie would Mac even consider going to Texas? But deep down I don't think they'd go after him.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of speculation here. If true I am not sure I like any option that would replace Mac. In addition....with just firing Charlie would Mac even consider going to Texas? But deep down I don't think they'd go after him.
If they lured Mac away, it would be because their first 17 targets declined.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Wouldn't Texas have to pay us a buyout?
:lol:

If I may speak on UF's behalf here, if they want Mac, we would gladly waive any buyout and deliver him free of charge. Please be true. But inall seriousness, outside of Peterson that is the most laughable list of coaches I have ever seen. Fedora, OMG, is one of if not the worst game manager I have seen. I have watched him singlehandedly lose games for his team b/c he has no interest in defense and watch him call some of the silliest plays I have ever seen at the strangest times. However it is the Big 12, where defense is not only optional it is totally discouraged, so maybe he would work there. But if they want Mac, I will volunteer to help him get moved there ASAP

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
If that happened, it's likely that Nuss would be promoted to Head Coach. He's the guy.

Well that would be a real bummer. But you promised me it would not be Cousin Eddie b/c the new AD did not hire Cousin Eddie at MSU. The sooner we have an opening the better, but it better be a list a helluva lot better than that one listed potentially for Texas. That is LOL, laughable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator