The throw that may have won Ohio State's quarterback battle

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Sounds like we should make a strong move to land Joe Burrow if he's available for the fall.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/04/the_throw_that_may_have_won_oh.html

Nearly flat-flooted, taking half a stride with a blitzing linebacker sidling toward him in a spring game when no Ohio State quarterback was worried about truly absorbing a hit, Dwayne Haskins ripped the ball through the air and showed why he's different.

Joe Burrow moves the offense. Tate Martell runs and cuts like a dynamo.

But the arm. That throw. Those possibilities.

All spring, Urban Meyer has described the Buckeyes' quarterback battle as changing day to day, practice to practice, sometimes play to play. Saturday's spring game showed the rest of us what Meyer was talking about.

Burrow can do a lot of things as a quarterback. The guess is that he's a starting quarterback this fall, because he is undoubtedly good enough to be one. But the guess is that it's somewhere else. Because it's hard to imagine Meyer turning away from a guy who can throw it like Haskins.

And that's the battle. Burrow can do it all. But Haskins can do that.

It's not that Haskins isn't good enough to play. He is. It's not that Burrow can't make big throws. He can.

It's just that Saturday, Burrow looked a little more consistently in control, a little more comfortable in the pocket, a little more able to slide as pressure was coming and then complete a 10-yard throw.

And Haskins dropped dimes. More than once.

Haskins changes the offense, and that's what Meyer probably can't ignore. In everything the Buckeyes do as a national contender, an idea in the back of their minds must be, "Does that beat Alabama?"

Those Haskins throws beat Alabama.

The battle may not be over, but a Burrow transfer before the fall would end it. Burrow is a starter. But Haskins may be a star.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Agree, should make a move on this kid. That said, I can’t wait until other teams are salivating over our 2nd stringers.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I greatly doubt that he would be coming to UF, a smaller school that is know for making NFL QBs would be a much better choice. Somewhere he would be assured of starting.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
QBTransferU we either having them leaving or coming. Must lead the nation in the past 8 years for transfers. Burrow will have to sit out a year, by then EJ will be ready. Granted we have roster spots available, and having him as a backup would be a nice upgrade. Can't just hand him the reins as Mullens put the press on getting EJ here, that wouldn't sit well with him and might make other QBs think about signing on if they think a transfer would hold them down.

WTH, bring him here , he can be a backup here as well as there, :)

Edited after Seabee enlightened me. GraduateQBTransferU

I could see Meyer going with the future if Haskin can get the job done now. He has shown that he doesn't hesitate to make the move with a QB. Go after him, we need help as the oline will make sure that all the QB's will be seeing playing time...

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I saw plenty of receivers having to come back for underthrown balls in his lowlight vid.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
QBTransferU we either having them leaving or coming. Must lead the nation in the past 8 years for transfers. Burrow will have to sit out a year, by then EJ will be ready. Granted we have roster spots available, and having him as a backup would be a nice upgrade. Can't just hand him the reins as Mullens put the press on getting EJ here, that wouldn't sit well with him and might make other QBs think about signing on if they think a transfer would hold them down.

WTH, bring him here , he can be a backup here as well as there, :)
He graduates this spring. He’d be immediately eligible. That’s why he’s a coveted transfer this spring.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agree, should make a move on this kid. That said, I can’t wait until other teams are salivating over our 2nd stringers.
I agree but we have the depth chart we have.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I greatly doubt that he would be coming to UF, a smaller school that is know for making NFL QBs would be a much better choice. Somewhere he would be assured of starting.
I can assure you ,him or anybody else that he'd be starting.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
How could anybody watch yesterday's game and be happy with what we have at qb? Burrow would be eligible immediately and and have 2 years of eligibility . This would be a gift.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Nobody is happy but many including myself are really hoping Mullen can make one of them serviceable.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This would be a great discussion in the Joe Burrow thread!

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
This would be a great discussion in the Joe Burrow thread!
You made a similar comment that my previous thread about about recruits' reactions after the O and B game should have been in the recruiting thread, and you were right. I looked for a thread about Burrow before I posted this one, but didn't see it. I must have missed it. My apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.