The top defensive scoring play-callers over the last 4 years

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The top defensive scoring play-callers over the last 4 years

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a...ive-scoring-playcallers-over-the-last-4-years

Top%20D%20scoring%20play-callers%202013-16.png

Some takeaways

- Two of these coaches became head coaches this offseason: Geoff Collins now at Temple and Justin Wilcox at Cal.

- There are only two head coaches on this list, compared to 10 head coaches among the top 20 offensive scoring play-callers. Rocky Long has long called the D plays at San Diego State, and (**) Barry Odom took back play-calling midway through his first year as Missouri head coach last season.

- Three other play-callers will be at new schools in 2017: Todd Orlando followed to Texas, Phil Snow followed to Baylor, and Mike Elko was hired at Notre Dame.

- Dave Wommack retired after the season at Ole Miss, and Wes McGriff was hired to the role.

- Several schools are not listed due to multiple or departed coordinators, including Michigan State (21.1 ppg), Boston College (22.6 ppg), BYU (22.9 ppg), Minnesota (23.4 ppg), Auburn (23.6 ppg) and Boise State (23.7 ppg).

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I'm sure Pruitt has got to be close to getting a head coach job and Venables too. Then again their probably getting paid well enough that they will only be swayed by a power 5 head coaching job and nothing less. Wonder is Shannon's left us if Mac would try for anyone on this list or promote from within.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not sold on Collins at all. I think the talent he was given at UF made him look better than he was. He was like the defensive version of Addazio. His stats looked great except against the teams that had the offensive talent to match UF's defense then his stats were pedestrian or even worse.

That Michigan guy just blitzes like crazy - the most in all of FBS I think. You need a mobile quick reacting QB or an O line that can impose their will in the running game when you go against him or you will get killed.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not sold on Collins at all. I think the talent he was given at UF made him look better than he was. He was like the defensive version of Addazio. His stats looked great except against the teams that had the offensive talent to match UF's defense then his stats were pedestrian or even worse.

That Michigan guy just blitzes like crazy - the most in all of FBS I think. You need a mobile quick reacting QB or an O line that can impose their will in the running game when you go against him or you will get killed.

Collins was also helped by the fact that no quarterback in the SEC is scary.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Collins was also helped by the fact that no quarterback in the SEC is scary.

I can point to 8 blowouts where Collins didn't even look like he was a Division 1 football coach! Shutting two teams down then getting blown out by one team doesn't make you a "great" DC, that's for sure....

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I can point to 8 blowouts where Collins didn't even look like he was a Division 1 football coach! Shutting two teams down then getting blown out by one team doesn't make you a "great" DC, that's for sure....

The problem with Collins (I think he is a decent coach) but not a great coach. He would be right in the middle of calling a good game and the next thing you know he would turn to sucking. I would be somewhat impressed only to be let down again. I am glad he is gone now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.