The Wal Mart Rule

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
http://townhall.com/columnists/mikeadams/2016/06/30/the-walmart-rule-n2185506

As a conservative criminologist, I get a lot of questions about gun ownership. People often ask me how to go about building a good firearm collection just in case things start to go south quickly. I usually respond by telling them to follow the Wal-Mart rule. It is probably the best way to make sure you are prepared when the republic finally disintegrates into utter lawlessness. The Wal-Mart rule involves three basic steps.

The first step is accomplished by taking a trip to Wal-Mart to find out what kinds of ammunition they normally stock. I went to the local Wal-Mart in Colorado Springs last week and noted that they carried 20 types of ammunition: 17 rim fire, 22 long rifle, 22 magnum, .223, .243, .270, 30-30, 30.06, 7mm mag, 300 win mag, 9mm, 380 automatic, 38 special, 357 magnum, .40 caliber, 45 ACP, 45-70, 410 shotgun, 20 gauge, and twelve gauge.

The second step in following the Wal-Mart rule is simply buying all the guns needed to fire all the ammunition sold at Wal-Mart. Obviously, this will take most people a few years but it is fun – and it is important to set goals for yourself! Just commit to buying a gun a month, if possible. For each of the aforementioned types of ammo, I would recommend the following firearms:

Any thoughts on his picks?

Alex.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I would not buy one gun of each caliber. Instead, buy multiple guns of the same caliber and choose 3 - 4 type of guns, as many purposes will cross each other.

For instance; buy (2 or more) small caliber rifles (.22 LR or .22 Mag), (2) game hunting rifles (30-30 or 30.06), (2) pistols (9mm or .40), and (2) shotguns (12 or 20 gauge). This way you have multiple guns that will fire the same ammunition, and you only carry 4 kinds of ammunition. Who would want to carry 17 kinds of ammunition for 17 different guns.

If you have an inexperienced person reloading your riffles for you, and you had a 30-30 & 30.06 you would likely cause confusion (they would get confused) and mis-load, or slow down the process. This would cause issues in a combat situation where multiple rounds are being fired.

I do like the Wal-Mart idea that it is the most common found calibers available, and ammunition could likely be found about everywhere (hence, why it's carried at Wal-Mart).

For the record, I have not been able to purchase .22 LR ammunition at Wal-Mart for over 3 years. Every time I ask they say that they are sold out. I can acquire it elsewhere though (thank God).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The second step in following the Wal-Mart rule is simply buying all the guns needed to fire all the ammunition sold at Wal-Mart.

ZOMG.jpg

Last edited:

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
For the record, I have not been able to purchase .22 LR ammunition at Wal-Mart for over 3 years. Every time I ask they say that they are sold out. I can acquire it elsewhere though (thank God).

Funny you say this. Today, for the first time in over a year, I found a brick of 500 .22lr 40 grain for $25 at the local Wallyworld. My limit is $.10/round so finding them for a tad over $.05 was a pleasant surprise. It was also the last one on the shelf. The guy at the register said he'd put out 10 bricks less than an hour before.

As far as the thread topic, buying every caliber is nuts. Pick your purpose specific arms & start gathering those caliber rounds. Better yet, buy a reloading kit & put your spent brass to good use again.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm guessing some of you aren't familiar with the author.

He didn't mean this seriously in terms of "Here is how to prepare for a zombie apocalypse."

It's over the top, tongue-in-cheek. Primarily, this is just an opportunity to discuss his favorites at each caliber.

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.