There's a snake in my driveway (car guys come in here)

Discussion in 'Home, Auto, and Computer Tech' started by Concrete Helmet, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Concrete Helmet

Concrete Helmet Hook, Line, and Sinker
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    Thanks man, I've got a couple of items I'll be adding to the car this weekend and I'll post a couple more pics afterward. I'm hoping I get a Go Pro for my birthday so I can post a couple of in car videos. Work has been busy and I haven't been able to schedule a dyno session to see the exact HP reading on the car but I will probably also post a video on that as well....

2. G 2

G 2 Gator Great
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +2,666 / -10
    I was just about to bump this for videos.

3. crosscreekcooter

crosscreekcooter Cunning Linguist

Oxbucks:
    $69
    Ratings:
    +4,173 / -5
    I'm jelly Crete, that really is a nice ride.

4. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    Thanks Coot. I'm gonna get some video's together soon.....I've also decided to put some longtube headers on it since it won't be a daily driver.....

5. oxrageous

oxrageous American Hero
    Administrator

Oxbucks:
    $979
    Ratings:
    +15,473 / -126
    You haven't totaled the thing yet?

6. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    No....I may live in the Orlando area but I'm one of the seven or eight persons who actually knows how to drive....

7. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    Finished raining earlier so I shot a crappy little video. I'm taking the car to Mexico :lol: tomorrow for some in car videos. I'm still hoping for a Go Pro as a late Birthday present since we won't be celebrating it until Sunday...for now this is the best I could do.

8. crosscreekcooter

crosscreekcooter Cunning Linguist

Oxbucks:
    $69
    Ratings:
    +4,173 / -5
    First thing I would do is see about getting that oil leak fixed.

9. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    :lol: It's not oil.....I spilled my beer when I popped the hood open. Funny thing is though I'm a little worried it might have too much oil in it. I've checked it several times and it reads about an 1/8th of an inch over the high fill level. I wonder if the dummy tech at the dealership didn't check it after filling it.

10. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    Alright last night was the only night we haven't had rain in my area for the last couple of weeks so I decided to drive the Shelby to get takeout. On the way back I got an idea to try and wedge my phone between the top of the passenger seat and head rest to see if I could get a video of driving the car.....actually it came out ok for something that wasn't planned. I couldn't really lay into it for the video the way I would like to because the area has a lot of stop signs and traffic but at least you'll see some of the over 600ftlbs of torque and 600rwhp. The good news is I have plenty of power.....the bad news is if I drive this car very often I'll spend a fortune in replacing rear tires...

11. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    Got a surprise call today from my buddy at the dealership where I bought the car and he said he had the original Ford/Shelby certificate for my car.
    upload_2016-8-19_17-45-26.png
    It was #85 of only 156 built in Alloy Metallic for the 2009 model year.....I also picked up some new floor mats with matching logo.
    upload_2016-8-19_17-49-26.png
    Still waiting on the Carroll Shelby signed dash plaque....But I did get some stickers for the rearview mirrors that have the Ford Blue Oval and say "Objects in mirror are losing".....
    Once I get some GT500 rocker panel stripes put on the sides I'll be done with any cosmetic mods as I don't want to take the car too far from original
    I'll be posting some short video clips in the coming weeks from inside the car and some car event/show clips also for anybody interested.

#31 Concrete Helmet, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  12. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    Well it's getting close to that time of the year when taking your car out for a drive is actually enjoyable. So with that in mind I have done a little maintenance on the old Shelby. First thing was to get it to the dealer for an open air bag recall that was on the car when I bought it 2 months ago. I also had the oil changed after 700 miles mostly due to the fact it looked a little high and I became suspect of the dealerships service department where I bought the car....I was right, it was high on oil and had the wrong weight synthetic in it,,,:headslap:

So I also decided to tackle the next thing on the maintenance list myself......as challenging a task as it would be I said the hell with it.....I'm changing the air filter myself, dammit :lol:
    [​IMG]
    The filter is special order from Steeda Motorsports and comes pre oiled and is washable and reusable but as little as the car is driven I will probably just toss the old one and buy a new one once a year. Once I removed the filter I checked up inside the cold air intake to see if the old filter had done it's job. It had, the 127mm intake tube and MAF sensor were clean and also free of any residual oil residue or moisture..
    [​IMG]
    After tackling this complicated task I took the beast out for a quick test hit, since it hadn't rained in the area yet. I realized then I had gone over the 10,000 mile mark which was a little depressing to me for about 5 minutes or so. Oh well, cant go back now so I headed over to some normally empty roads to donate some rubber to the asphalt there which as always puts me in a better state of mind.

[​IMG]

I'm loving this car a lot but I'm struggling with what is next for it. I'm not a fan of black wheels for the most part so I want to maybe get some polished Shelby Super Snake wheels for it. Then again for the price of those wheels I could almost get the ported blower kit and a set of longtube headers which would put the car somewhere in the 750-800HP range :headbang:, decisions...decisions.....

13. itsgr82bag8r

itsgr82bag8r Political Forum Fire Starter
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $63
    Ratings:
    +6,269 / -28
    I hope you're putting that thing in a garage every night.

14. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    I wish. It sits under a cover at the end of the driveway with acorns from the large Oak next to it pelting it continuously.....at least until next week when the tree guys come :lol:l

15. stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $81
    Ratings:
    +4,144 / -187
    A Shelby Cobra on water front property .......I thought Brad was the rich boy in here..................

16. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    Brad has more money than God...and 78 has more money than him.....I'm just blessed with a large penis and met a well to do woman :lmao2:

17. G 2

G 2 Gator Great
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +2,666 / -10
  18. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    Well I've been driving this thing a little more frequently now that the weather is cool and dry. I still really like this thing but it just seems to be missing a little something......IT NEEDS TO BE A LITTLE LOUDER....and a little more power never hurts either....So instead of waiting on Santa I decided to order up some long tube headers. These showed up on my doorstep yesterday.....
    upload_2016-11-29_17-17-4.png
    Of course I won't be installing these myself as it is a mother b!tch to do and I am far too lazy and impatient for such. Also installing the headers requires a re calibration of the vehicle so while it is in the shop it's getting a brand spanking new custom dyno tune which is mostly to reset the emission controls as it will still have high flow cats in the new mid pipe section. Included with the installation will be 2 before dyno pulls and 2 after dyno pulls to dial the car in and show exact HP and torque gains to the rear wheels.....I can hardly wait and hopefully I'll be able to get some videos of the car on the dyno to post here......
    upload_2016-11-29_17-35-11.png

19. '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $592
    Ratings:
    +6,422 / -47
    If it's not your DD, I say go to town on it and, BTW, post a vid so we can hear it. My last car had an awful drone from 2200-2800 rpm and I drove it daily for almost four months before I couldn't take it anymore. It messed up my hearing.

20. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    I went with the high flow catted mid pipe because once you remove the cats there's no getting rid of that god awful hollow resonance that envelopes the entire car. Three other factors I considered when deciding are the fact that it's not a DD, and it's rarely on the highway, no long trips anyway, and lastly I plan to swap the supercharger out to a larger unit in the future. More air going in means you need the extra flow provided by the long tube headers. In other words it would be restricted if I had the current exhaust set up on it when I make the upgrade.
    Like I said I'm going to try and plan my schedule so I can shoot a video when the car is on the dyno and if I can talk my wife into standing on the side of the road :lol: somewhere near my house I'll have her shoot a couple of fly by's while I'm getting on it.