There's a snake in my driveway (car guys come in here)

Discussion in 'Home, Auto, and Computer Tech' started by Concrete Helmet, Jul 24, 2016.

1. crosscreekcooter

crosscreekcooter Cunning Linguist

Oxbucks:
    $69
    Ratings:
    +4,173 / -5
    Better yet, go downtown and find a long, narrow alley between two tall buildings and open the header cut-outs. Mount the microphone on your rear fenderwell. Crank it up to about 5000 R's and dump the clutch. Be sure and do this on the first workday morning after New Years.

2. Concrete Helmet

Concrete Helmet Hook, Line, and Sinker
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    Alright due to conflicting schedules between myself and the shop I couldn't get there to do a dyno video while they downloaded the custom tune after installing my headers, but I will get a video from an upcoming car meet/dyno session next month. For now here is a photo of my dyno chart showing the car made 596HP to the rear wheels and 588ft# of torque. Just to give those unfamiliar with dyno readings they show about 15% less due to drivetrain loss. In other words my car is making a little over 700HP and about 690ft.#'s of torque at the motor....Not bad for a stock blower with bolt on performance parts.....
    upload_2016-12-26_19-10-34.png
    Now I will say I am ok with that power level.....for now. I'll be adding an upgraded supercharger sometime this spring or early summer. I'm not ok with is the small gain in sound that I got from the headers themselves. There is a little more deep rumble in the seat of the car but I expected a little more coming out the rear end. Here's a small video clip of what the car sounds like with the headers and existing exhaust set up.

Not to bad but NOT LOUD ENOUGH FOR ME......Well Santa hooked me up with a set of these which should fix all that...Borla Atak's,one of the loudest mufflers in the industry and the straight through design will give me maybe another 5-10HP
    upload_2016-12-26_19-28-2.png
    I will add another short video to this thread once I get these installed. After that the search for the upgraded blower will begin.....800HP here I come...

#42 Concrete Helmet, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  3. NVGator

NVGator Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $111
    Ratings:
    +3,930 / -71
    I like the crackle

4. crosscreekcooter

crosscreekcooter Cunning Linguist

Oxbucks:
    $69
    Ratings:
    +4,173 / -5
    This crackle?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    I used to tell myself that I would never want a car with over 500HP.......Then I got one with 600 :lol:

6. URGatorBait

URGatorBait Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +10,106 / -161
    Years ago, my neighbor who has since moved to near ATL, used to have a 66 Pontiac Le Mans with 700hp. What an incredible amount of hp that was.
    At one point after that he had it over 1000 hp.
    Eventually sold it for another project.

7. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    I love the old school stuff.As a kid I idolized the guys who had late 60's muscle cars, GTO's, Camaro's, Chargers, Chevelle's and other such beast. My biggest problem was I never really liked wrenching on stuff very much so I never bothered with getting one....Fast forward 25 years and I started to take notice that some modern cars can have enormous amounts of HP just by plugging in a laptop and adding simple bolt on performance parts that won't even get grease under your fingernails.....In other words you could maintain everyday drivability with out spending all weekend underneath your car....Needless to say I'm kinda hooked now....Still love the old stuff though.

8. NVGator

NVGator Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $111
    Ratings:
    +3,930 / -71
    Here's how I picture Crete...

9. G 2

G 2 Gator Great
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +2,666 / -10
    I think old muscle cars look awesome but they aren't daily drivers. I love the new technology. For Xmas I got an ecu tune on my Audi and added 110hp and 158ftl-lbs of torque by just remapping the turbos. Took 45 minutes. Feels like a whole new car.

10. '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $596
    Ratings:
    +6,426 / -47
    158 lbs? That's one of the biggest remaps I've ever read about. What model Audi?

11. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    :lol:
    Nice gains, I bet it does feel like a little different car:lol:....That's a huge upgrade in seat of the pants feel for sure. I'm really starting to get an itch for turbos and may end up doing twin Hellion turbos on our 2015 GT. It's straight up 800HP out of the box with pump gas and no difference whatsoever in daily drivability....

12. G 2

G 2 Gator Great
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +2,666 / -10
    C7 Audi S6. It was the APR tune. Those numbers were for 93 octane. If you run racing fuel it'll add 134hp and an astounding 198ft-lbs. All for stage 1. The 4.0 twin turbo is capable of serious output. :cool:

Audi is notorious for underpowering their engines from the factory.

https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_40tfsi_s6s7.html

13. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    Alright that only took a month to get done but prepare to wake the dead....:lol2:. These things were so loud the first 2 days after getting them put on I almost had them pulled back off. I'm not sure if the carbon in the exhaust has settled the packing in the mufflers or what but today on the way home they seemed to behave a little better.....On a side note, yesterday on my way to pick my son up from school I cut through the Lancaster/OBT area and downshifted like a boss coming up to a light rom 3rd to 2nd at about 35-40MPH. The popping and cracking that came out of the back of the car was so loud that it sent several hood rats leaping behind parked cars :lmao2:I'll be shooting some in car video on my way to a meet this Sunday and will post them up here.....until then cover your ears.

14. URGatorBait

URGatorBait Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +10,106 / -161
    Damn that sounds sick

15. NVGator

NVGator Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $111
    Ratings:
    +3,930 / -71
    I'll be honest. That thing sounds like my Mother-in-Law's cough.

16. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    There's times when I love it and times I don't. Under power and above 2500rpm it sounds phenomenal when you're on the throttle but sometimes when you let off it "pops" too much. The old mufflers had a very nice burble and crackled a little but they were almost too quiet under acceleration. Believe it or not though there is no drone inside the car and with the windows up cruising it's not noticeably louder. On the way home from the car meet yesterday my wife and stepson were behind me in her Mustang and when I downshifted into second at about 35-40 mph and laid 3/4 into the throttle I left them gagging from the tire smoke and they said the sound nearly parted their hair....:lol:

17. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +4,351 / -85
    Alright, need a little input on this one. I'm thinking of offing the Shelby and since we will be getting a new company car pretty soon taking the Sexy Beast GT as my new fun car. Of course it will need some additional power so I thought of going twin turbo this time instead of supercharged. I have loved everything about this car since we got it 2 years ago and I could use some of the money from selling the Shelby to put into a Hellion twin turbo kit(800-1200HP) and a few other cosmetic mods. I could keep both but I'm starting to run out of room in the driveway and I'm not sure I'd drive the Shelby enough to warrant keeping both....What do ya'll think?

#57 Concrete Helmet, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  18. ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
    $93
    Ratings:
    +1,319 / -133
    I was going to tell you to just kill it, but that is a snake that most would be happy to have, even if many could not properly drive it.

19. Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +6,614 / -9
    Yup... look at the 2017 Raptor with 3.5L twin turbo... 450hp and 510ft-lbs, stock. Will be interesting to see when tunes start coming out for them. They smoke my 6.2L V-8 off the line because of the torque.

Oh, and here is a really nifty little gadget I have on my Raptor that 'tricks" you into feeling like you have more HP... It's called the Pedal Commander and it's straight plug and play. Your electronic gas pedal is programmed for the lowest common denominator. The PC takes out all the time lag as it is a throttle response adjuster. It has 4 settings, and each of those have 4 up adjustments and 4 down for a ton of instant changes on the fly. It really is amazing. If I put mine in Sport+ ad 4+, it's practically dangerous! I love it and unlike tunes, there is really nothing to go wrong or screw up a warranty. You just unplug your gas pedal, plug the PC in as a bypass, mount controller wherever you want. Took me 5 minutes. Oh, and a lot of Raptor guys use it in conjunction with tunes.

https://www.pedalcommander.com/

[​IMG]

20. Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +6,614 / -9
    Trade and tinker... I'm thinking about driving my Raptor to Vegas this summer to have a certain guy out there install a supercharger and tunes taking my truck from 410hp to 600+. Why some would ask? Why did we go to the moon? Because we could! ;)

#60 Detroitgator, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017