Things you want to see in the next three games

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by ltraz, Nov 10, 2018 at 10:19 PM.

1. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,977
    Ratings:
    +2,113 / -259
    It's a weird thing to be past our main schedule and not really be thinking about fsu. Not bc I don't want to embarrass them, but that it should be a beating. Luckily, I don't think we look past it, bc of how big it would be for recruiting to not just win, but embarrass them. This thinking is usually reserved for a bowl game, but what would you guys like to see in the next three games?

A few of mine...

- Give your two best safeties a chance. Possibly my biggest annoyance has been us rotating safeties. I think it stops your guys from having a feel for the game, stops them getting used to how the other one plays, etc. I seriously don't get it. Never seen it at any level of football.
    - Run more from under center. Now, if we hadn't run from under center once, this wouldn't be here. I understand why you'd never do it if your QB was a big running threat...but he's not. We've obviously installed it. It takes a good amount of practice time to install it since we're teaching snapping, footwork, etc. So why take the time to install it and run it so infrequently since it fits our guys better anyway? For non Xs & Os peeps, a hige benefit from going under center is it lets your running and playaction be more aggressive. Negatives are the QB not being able to see the field the whole play and less of a threat of your QB to run. Franks doesn't see the field anyway and doesn't run much sooo....
    - Let Toney run the wildcat. Obviously, I'd rather have a true percy position, but I hope everyone can accept now that that was all meyer. But why not a wildcat? And I don't mean just a direct snap to Toney to run power. Auburn threw a TD with their RB tonight. Toney was a legit QB in hs. Even when DMac used to run it at Arkansas he'd pass occasionally to keep them honest. The best part is that since he's also a legit WR, you don't have to sub.
    - Find a way to use the WRs. This has been brought up in the recruiting thread, but there's a reason we're having trouble recruiting WRs. Forgetting the scheme issue of a simplistic passing game, we could still get them the ball more. We have a legit group with Toney, Jefferson, Grimes, Cleveland & Hammond (and Swain when healthy), but Toney got 4 carries and Hammond was the only one with more than two catches (5) in a high scoring game. Obviously, most of those are just WR screens too. Run some jets. Use some rub routes to actually help your guys. Anything or we're just going to be msu with fitzgerald.

• Gators79

Gators79 Member

Oxbucks:
      $184
      Ratings:
      +554 / -74
      Another QB

• Like Like x 4
      • Facepalm Facepalm x 1
      • List
      • soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $4,359
        Ratings:
        +9,012 / -33
        [​IMG]

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $5,566
          Ratings:
          +11,028 / -135
          I want to see more of "less Stiner". He seemingly got benched in the 2nd half (or played very little) and that position looked a lot stronger in the 2nd half.

I want to see Emory. I want him to throw at least a dozen passes combined in the games he plays.

I want to see Toney touch the ball 10+ times a game.

I want to see a couple different OL's (like Bleich, Banks, or Delance/Moore/Gouraige) get some PT.

I'd like to see our Defense show up again at some point this year.

• The Lateral Move

Oxbucks:
            $66
            Ratings:
            +61 / -0
            More Toney

A trick play or two come back (I guess the Franks punt was..)

A freshman or 5

A forward pass

And 3 wins

• leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
              $956
              Ratings:
              +961 / -46
              There were quite few adjustments in the second half.

• rogdochar

rogdochar Senior Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $3,539
              Ratings:
              +9,732 / -72
              Want to see less shush-finger, even though more scores.
              Loved to see Franks bust through weaving more long QB runs.
              Want 25 passes, with at least 8 15+ yards.
              Want Toney 6 runs, 4 short passes, and 3 passes beyond 8 yards.
              Want Perrine, Scarlett, Pierce to trot wild, up our reputation & national rank as a power running team.
              Want long sustained drives, eating up big chunks of yardage.
              Please, let's have our fewest penalized game.
              Keep up the minimal injuries.
              Like to see EJ get some shine-time.
              Want lots o' joy on field, on sideline, on TV for all to see. Look good for recruits.
              Want to excite recruits on where UF is going in the immediate future.
              Want dominating defense, with a coupla INTs.
              We need lots more likes to my posts.

• Gatorraid81

Gatorraid81 Well-Known Member
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $1,188
                Ratings:
                +2,010 / -53
                Since Mullen is bound and determined to redshirt EJ for some reason, I’m thinking he don’t see the field next week. I think he plans to use him a lot in the bowl game, and if he’s uses him next week and Franks get hurt against Fsu then he’ll be forced to use him again. Then he’ll have to burn his redshirt if he plays him in the bowl game. The bowl games has to be one of the games they are planning on using him since all the extra practice. If Trask doesn’t go down, then I think EJ would’ve seen a lot of action next week vs Idaho and the bowl, now Mullen is force to hold him out if he is still hell bent on redshirting him.

#8 Gatorraid81, Nov 10, 2018 at 11:12 PM
                Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 11:45 PM
                • lizardbreath

lizardbreath Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                  $724
                  Ratings:
                  +1,175 / -22
                  EJ, EJ and more EJ. Oh, and a big fat order of beatdown for the clowns at beautiful Ron Zook stadium. I know that's four, I just don't care.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                    $1,977
                    Ratings:
                    +2,113 / -259
                    For sure. I think this is a talk you have to have with EJ. 'Do you want to play next week and get quality minutes, but then you have to go in vs fsu if Franks goes down?". Regardless, like you're saying, he has to play the bowl.

• Daryl

Daryl Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                      $310
                      Ratings:
                      +306 / -27
                      Just win baby!
                      1. Lock down some top recruits
                      2. Get EJ at least a good half of work before the bowl game.
                      3. Pound the rock with our best / deepest position like we did today.

• g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                        $3,080
                        Ratings:
                        +5,941 / -37
                        Beat FSU.

Beat FSU.

Beat FSU.

I don't care about a bowl game. I don't care who is playing at any position. The only thing that matters - and has mattered since we lost to UGA - is beating FSU.

• SaltGator

SaltGator Midline

Oxbucks:
                          $332
                          Ratings:
                          +686 / -1
                          Less Franks

• gatormandan

gatormandan The Donk Slayer!
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $1,692
                            Ratings:
                            +7,423 / -208
                            Franks was slow to get up several times yesterday. That said, its a fine line for EJ now. If Franks goes down he is the starter.

• G8trwood

G8trwood Well-Known Member
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $367
                              Ratings:
                              +650 / -8
                              No one short at qb. The snaps frequently come out high and hot. If it is almost over franks head.....

• FlyingGator

FlyingGator Well-Known Member
                                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $381
                                Ratings:
                                +460 / -1
                                Franks need to sit next week. Give EJ all the work with the ones this week and let him start and play most of the game. Put them both through the paces for FSU week and then start the player who gives us the best chance to win. If it isn't EJ by then we are in big trouble.

Ox is right when he points out Franks didn't really do anything yesterday that EJ couldn't have done as almost all of his big plays were runs or passes behind the LOS. Instead of allowing his big runs to silence his critics, he chose to make himself the story by shushing the fans. Every highlight I saw about the game yesterday showed it and talked about it. Instead of the team being able to bask in a great win, all the attention was on Franks and the bad "Gator" fans. I guess when you are one of the worst QB's in the SEC you try and garner attention where you can, but hurting your team and fan base in the process is just idiotic. It doesn't rise to the level of idiocy that MacElshame went to when trashing the fan base with made up death threats, but was still pretty stupid. Unless EJ is totally inept, I would be OK with never seeing Franks play QB for the Gators again. I still have nightmares of him against FSU last year, a very winnable game where he literally gave them 28 points with his turnovers. I have no faith he won't do that again if we have to pass downfield to win that game.

Other than that, more Toney, more Pierce, less penalties, and more ST play like we had early in the season..

#16 FlyingGator, Nov 11, 2018 at 7:25 AM
                                Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 7:34 AM
                                • soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
                                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                  $4,359
                                  Ratings:
                                  +9,012 / -33
                                  Cleaning up the penalties is a huge part of us coming back yesterday. We’re kist not cut out to overcome shooting ourselves in the foot. So I’d like to see that be a big point of emphasis.

I wouldn’t doing anything big with Toney this week. Work in some wrinkles with him for the noles. But he should be a bigger part for sure.

I’m guessing it’s too late to see some of the freshmen that we plan to RS, but I’d love to see some different options at Safety.

And if EJ can still play two more games, I’d let it be some this week, so Franks only plays a half or so, and then against FSU if needed. I’d rather that then the bowl game, unless that’s part of the rule. Not sure about that. But I don’t believe we should sit FF this week. He’s all about rhythm and played his best from ut to Lsu, with no breaks. It seemed like the Vu game and Jax, threw him out of rythm and he lost his confidence again. Need to keep playing him against Idaho.

• YLGator

YLGator Well-Known Member
                                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                  $502
                                  Ratings:
                                  +598 / -17
                                  I’d have already burned EJ’s redshirt, but since Mullen isn’t willing to do that, I’d prefer to have EJ for FSU and the bowl game. We can play Toney next week and win with ease.

• soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
                                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                    $4,359
                                    Ratings:
                                    +9,012 / -33
                                    I’d just prefer he get worked in against a lighter opponent. There’s a chance fsu is at night, and of course on the road. And if we win there, we’re getting a solid bowl opponent. So while I know we don’t need him this week, I think he needs to get a rolling start like almost all QBs do. Just my thoughts. I don’t disagree that it would be helpful to have him in the real contests we have left.

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
                                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                      $5,566
                                      Ratings:
                                      +11,028 / -135
                                      I know you've posted this elsewhere too, but I disagree. First off, I think the FSU game will be close. Why? Because that's who we are. I'd like to think we'll win....but I also thought we'd beat Missouri - instead, we got blown the F out. I didn't think we'd fall 18 points behind Vandy and 14 & 17 down vs. South Carolina. I didn't think our defense would turn into a turnstile and let any team that wants to score on us score. So, with that, I'd rather see EJ play 1.5 quarters or so vs. Idaho (hopefully we get a big lead, but who knows? I remember 3-9 FAU taking us to overtime 3 years ago). So, unless you want to waste a game for EJ to play 5 snaps like he did vs. UGA, I'd rather see him play 1.5 quarters (or more) vs. Idaho. He can play at least 3 or 4 series in the Idaho game, throw 10 or so passes, and show what he can do. If he plays vs. FSU, they still have a lot of talent, so is he going to lead 3 or 4 series? I doubt that's Mullen's plan. I see a UGA scenario, and that would be a waste vs. running several series vs. Idaho. Just my opinion...