This year's offense compared to last year after 4 games

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n69892 said:
No, I'm simply stating that red zone yards are widely known to be the toughest yards to get. Excluding them from a team's stats, even in OT, is ridiculous.
I know this will seem bewildering given what we've watched the last few years, but most decent teams score something like 70-80% of the time in the redzone.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n69919 said:
I know this will seem bewildering given what we've watched the last few years, but most decent teams score something like 70-80% of the time in the redzone.

Ok, assuming I buy your statistic because I'm too lazy to look it up. What % of those "scores" are field goals because the drive stalls inside the red zone?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n69850 said:
I think the passing game will be tweaked to what Harris throws well. I think a lot of the horizontal game will diminish. You don't want Harris throwing hitches from the far hash. Hopefully they throw a lot of man coverage at Harris because that will play to his passing strength. He's better at throwing run away type routes than the stop routes that seem to dominate most of JD's throws.

i think you're right. They don't have to throw alot at him. Bring him along slowly we have a running game and defense. Funny how things can change so quickly.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n69892 said:
No, I'm simply stating that red zone yards are widely known to be the toughest yards to get. Excluding them from a team's stats, even in OT, is ridiculous.

Of course it makes sense to exclude them for a comparison of a prior year with no OT- you could literally get 2 extra games worth of scoring if you have a game with many OTs.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n69691]The kid has thrown six passes his entire collegiate career. Six. Yes, he is a natural runner, but anyone who professes to know what he's going to do in his next SEC outing is simply pulling it out of his ass. [/QUOTE]

It's not just about Treon, it's about Driskel out as QB. We can stick with Jeff and know we will lose or try something new and have a chance.

Jeff is not an SEC QB. He doesn't know how to read a defense, make quick decisions, read a read a DE on a run or have a clock that tells him to run when the time is up. After four years on campus, he still has POTENTIAL.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n69948 said:
Ok, assuming I buy your statistic because I'm too lazy to look it up. What % of those "scores" are field goals because the drive stalls inside the red zone?

I've never seen that stat available. I remember the commentators quoted it a few times in 2009, about how many of our red zone trips were FGs rather than TDs and that the percentage was low, but I've never seen it anywhere.

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I'd suppose the most equitable and accurate way to measure performance, AND INCLUDE the OT, would be to convert it into a TOP efficiency type of stat.
That is, to define yardage passing/running, scoring, whatever in terms of time it took to do so. This 'stat' does not exist on an individual account, but could be found and useful in discussion to satisfy both parties.

If this is flawed in some way, what am I missing?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
threatmatrix;n70079 said:
http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct?date=2009-01-09
Can't breakout FGs from TD's. Our totally efficiency. Least that's how I read it.

2012 83% 45th
2013 71% 116th
2014 87% 43rd in the country
Outstanding #s as usually from the Champ

Not exactly helpful under the circumstances of the argument here. My original argument was that once inside the red zone, yards become harder to gain. Then law came in with his red zone efficiency stats but that doesn't tell you how many times teams end up having to kick a field goal once they make it into the red zone. My point all along was that yards are tougher inside the red zone. Not how many times you score once inside the red zone. Hell, once inside the red zone you're already in field goal range so of course "scoring" once getting into the red zone has a high percentage.

My argument was about people insisting on leaving out OT stats because you already start in the red zone so those stats don't count. Well, when you're talking yardage per game, why would you leave out the OT stats when those red zone yards are the hardest to gain? Seems to me any yardage gained within the red zone is pretty darn important. Especially when scoring TDs in OT is what you have to have to win the game. Those are extremely hard fought yards. They should be counted imo.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Gator87;n69651 said:
Yeah, good job leading us to zero points and taking a knee to end the game. On a positive note you looked great riding the pine.
This should be the emoticon for Jeff Driskel from now on. :kiffin:
If I had the power to ban someone you would be out. Too bad you cannot face JD in person and perform your verbal magic. He is a great kid and you are beneath contempt.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What's so hard to understand about leaving out the overtime stats? It's a good 60 minute to 60 minute comparison. Glancing at the final score of the UF-Kentucky game this year one might be inclined to think that our offense actually played well. Newsflash - we sucked in regulation.

Of course I realize that Fever has another angle he's trying to work with his Pease love, which is laughable, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend like Roper has managed any more production out of a Driskel-led offense than Pease did.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n69699 said:
What I saw was a kid that provided a spark and the team responded. The sideline shots were evident that the players were behind him. So he comes in and hits his first pass to Jones. Right in the hands, right on the $$$, and in full stride. We were also 9-0 when he entered. Well under his direction we scored 10 and won the game. How the game plans go if TH is in there who knows. But I really believe this will give Roper more to work with. I can deal with them watering it down a bit to get him comfortable and then add to it. Well, they've given the full monty to JD and he cannot produce. Things may get better with a leader and simplify everything. They admitting to simplifying it for the D this week. Hmmmm could work.
Im not really sure they've given the "full monty" to JD...with JD in there it looks like we are calling the game scared. There may be some more down field passing with JD than with TH if he starts but it still looks like we're calling a game for a scared QB. JD has no confidence right now and the team goes as their QB goes. If the QB is scared and not confident the rest of the offense is going to play that way too.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
NavetG8r;n70113 said:
Not exactly helpful under the circumstances of the argument here. My original argument was that once inside the red zone, yards become harder to gain. Then law came in with his red zone efficiency stats but that doesn't tell you how many times teams end up having to kick a field goal once they make it into the red zone. My point all along was that yards are tougher inside the red zone. Not how many times you score once inside the red zone. Hell, once inside the red zone you're already in field goal range so of course "scoring" once getting into the red zone has a high percentage.

My argument was about people insisting on leaving out OT stats because you already start in the red zone so those stats don't count. Well, when you're talking yardage per game, why would you leave out the OT stats when those red zone yards are the hardest to gain? Seems to me any yardage gained within the red zone is pretty darn important. Especially when scoring TDs in OT is what you have to have to win the game. Those are extremely hard fought yards. They should be counted imo.
I deleted it. Feel better. :dunno:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I Have No Friends :(;n70126 said:
What's so hard to understand about leaving out the overtime stats? It's a good 60 minute to 60 minute comparison. Glancing at the final score of the UF-Kentucky game this year one might be inclined to think that our offense actually played well. Newsflash - we sucked in regulation.
Agree completely. Sure the stats count, but that isn't the point when you're trying to compare apples to apples.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I Have No Friends :(;n70126 said:

Of course I realize that Fever has another angle he's trying to work with his Pease love, which is laughable, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend like Roper has managed any more production out of a Driskel-led offense than Pease did.

This thread was a comparison of yards, not points. Points inside the red zone are easy, yards aren't. Comprehend?

ntcrze

Founding Member
Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Speaking of offense. What is the number of points needed to win this coming Saturday night in Gainesville. LSU comes in with the last two games being seal clubbed. Florida only scored one touchdown, but they at least won. First one to 14 wins?

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n70139 said:
This thread was a comparison of yards, not points. Points inside the red zone are easy, yards aren't. Comprehend?

Is it that time of the month? You seem so touchy lately.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah when we have been sucking for half a decade plus, does it really matter what year to focus on. The biggest matter at hand is getting a true starting QB installed that the players respond to on the field. I want this mediocrity to end... standing at the water cooler watching the bubbles surface isn't much fun each year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n69704 said:
I have a feeling things like dropped balls and receivers being hit in stride will improve under Harris. Jeff gunned the ball too much when it wasn't called for.

But that doesn't account for all of the ones where they were sitting at the end of a curl and didn't catch the ones in there chest. As much as Driskel needed to be removed Saturday (which should have happened in the 2nd), the whole receiving corp needs reworking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb