This year's team is a success if:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
1. Franks throws >10 ints
Irrelevent. You guys are stuck in run and punt offense mindset. Wuerfel, Dean, Matthews and company threw for 20 ints many years. The issue is TD to int ratio. No one gives a crap if you thrown 2 ints a game if we are winning by 40.

I know we sure as hell didnt hire anything like an SOS but the point is still valid.

2. Offense ranks in the top 50
Cousin Eddy finished 48th last year and 44th in 2016 in total offense with the players HE recruited to run a sideways offense. Do you really expect him to do that with Butter's leftover Sunbelt shyt, Franks, a true freshman, and div 3 walkon trash QB? Is that really an objective standard of success?

That's what he will build us into being in 4-6 years. It isn't what we are going to be next year.

Last edited:

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
If so UF once again hired the wrong guy. With the talent on this roster a good to very good coach should win at a minimum 10 games. To not win 10 games means that UF hired a guy that:

A. Lost to Charleston Southern or - Win
B. Lost to UK for the first time in forever or - If you think we are going to lose this check your T levels
C. Lost to CO State. or - I hope we win Eleventy billion to negative seven. They deserve it for letting us take Mac.
D. Lost at Miss State which if UF has UF standards should not happen and has a worse roster than UF and a new inexperienced coach or - Even great Gator teams seem to find a way to lose a game to a West team, especially on the road.
E. Lost at UTn which was a bigger dumpster fire than UF last year or - this is actually my bell-weather game. If you're right and we win it, I think we are on the way to a nice season. It's on the road and we'll have just played what I believe will be a very physical Miss State team. We'll see. I hope I'm wrong.
F. Lost to Ed Orgeron or - I think this is a win. The Gators almost won this last year despite being completely incompetent in every phase of the game, especially in the first half.
G. Lost at Vandy which has a worse roster than UF or - Win.
H. Lost to Missouri which has a worse roster than UF or - Missouri is at home but let's not pretend like last year didn't happen. I don't think we have a stronger D than last year. It was not a good look for the good guys.
I. Lost to SoCar which has a worse roster than UF and a coach UF fired or - Roster wise I actually think they are much better than us right now. Have our linebackers done anything to inspire confidence? It is only the Muschamp factor that makes me think we can win it.
J. Lost to Idaho. - We're making tater tots.

I think we lose one of two of Miss State/UT and SoCar/Missouri. I can see us losing all four, but can't really see us winning all four. I think we drop one to the clowns on the road. I do think we beat Georgia and I think the meltdown from it among their fans is going to be glorious.

Believe me, if we win 10 with one of them being either FSU or Georgia I'll be over the damn moon and may betray my libertarian principles by trying to make Mullen King of Gainesville. I think some people are vastly underestimating how bad we are at key positions. Maybe I'm the one that's wrong. I hope so.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
You're in for a long year.

You're right on the cusp with AR of being so butthurt over the Butters firing that you've lost it.

It is fine with me if you are ok with UF hiring a coach who does any of those things above. I have standards for the program still, though I can understand if Muschamp and McElwain have worn down yours.

Last edited:

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
With the talent on this roster a good to very good coach should win at a minimum 10 games...

I stopped reading after this comment, because there is no way to recover any credibility.

This is the LEAST TALENTED roster that has ever been assembled in the history of Gator football, at least in the era of recruiting rankings. There have been worse single years, but never has there been a 4 year stretch of mediocrity, measured by average recruiting ranking finish, than the past 4 years. That isn’t opinion...I went to rivals, and added every 4 consecutive years of available rankings, and no “sum” was higher than the past 4 years.

That doesn’t mean that we don’t win 10 games this season. It means that winning 10 games this season should make gator nation absolutely giddy with the incredible overachievement of any rational expectations, OVERCOMING the lack of talent on this roster.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
This is the LEAST TALENTED roster that has ever been assembled in the history of Gator football, at least in the era of recruiting rankings. There have been worse single years, but never has there been a 4 year stretch of mediocrity, measured by average recruiting ranking finish, than the past 4 years. That isn’t opinion...I went to rivals, and added every 4 consecutive years of available rankings, and no “sum” was higher than the past 4 years.

When you have guys on the second string transferring from Florida and they are ending up at Rice because no one else wants them- you got a problem.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
1. Franks throws >10 ints
2. Offense ranks in the top 50
3. Win at least 8 games
4. Our coach doesn't get caught humping a shark

Franks throwing more than 10 ints will be a good thing? ;)

Kidding aside, if he or whomever the starting QB is has a 2:1 td to int ratio, then that would be a lot of progress.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This team and season is a success IF ALL of the following happens:

1. UF wins 10+ games.

2. UF's scoring offense goes up by at least 7 points per game.

3. UF's total offense goes up to at least 400 yards per game.

4. UF's scoring offense is under 25 points per game.

I think if the items 2 and 3 happen, then item 1 will not be a mirage this time. Item 4 would mean UF has not traded an unbalanced reliance on defense for an unbalanced reliance on offense.

McElwain's first year was a fluke. If Meyer couldn't win 10 his first season here, then it's pretty unfair to place those expectations on Mullen considering this team is an absolute disaster and barely won 4 games last year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It is fine with me if you are ok with UF hiring a coach who does any of those things above. I have standards for the program still, though I can understand if Muschamp and McElwain have worn down yours.
Let's take a poll, how many people here think I'm fine with Mullinz?

Vs.

How many people think he wouldnt be in my top 200 options?

But we are stuck with him for 2.5 to 3.5 years.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Because butters isn't on the sidelines ,it is already a success, no IF, and or buts about that.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Let's take a poll, how many people here think I'm fine with Mullinz?

Vs.

How many people think he wouldnt be in my top 200 options?

But we are stuck with him for 2.5 to 3.5 years.

I propose a different poll:

A. How many people think the Donkey's rantings are well thought out and consistent.

v.

B. How many people think the Donkey's rantings often are contradictory.

It does not matter whether you love or hate Mullens. You object to holding him to standards this season indicating who knows what giving your random changing rantings.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'd say its a success if we identify a qb for the future, we make a bowl and we fill our needs in recruiting . I'm not worried about class rankings as long as we're close to top 10 and its balanced.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We have. He is in high school.
You don't think Emory Jones has a shot at being the guy? Or do ya think he's gonna be thrown to the wolves too early and get ruined?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.