This year's team is a success if:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
1. If they win 8 or more games AND show toughness and are competitive in their losses.

2. The offense ranks 60th of better.

3. At least one competent QB emerges and remains healthy, doesn’t get suspended and avoids anything close to a molester mustache.

4. Momentum builds toward recruiting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You don't think Emory Jones has a shot at being the guy? Or do ya think he's gonna be thrown to the wolves too early and get ruined?
Im not sure. He looks pretty inacurate right now mostly due to form issues and carelessness (w footwork).

I think being the only real DT QB on the roster, FF isnt really DT, EJ will likely win the job soon enough, but Im not sure he can keep it.

We will also be very limited what we run bc none of the QBs can run the offense.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Count me as another who doesn't care about the final record. Success would be a competent offense and a bunch of players flying around on defense.

I’m not focused on W/L but if it’s below 8 wins that would likely mean trouble - either key injuries, the offense or defense not coming together, etc.

In other words, a competent offense & aggressive defense should get us at lest 8 wins.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
1. Franks throws >10 ints

Irrelevent. You guys are stuck in run and punt offense mindset. Wuerfel, Dean, Matthews and company threw for 20 ints many years. The issue is TD to int ratio. No one gives a crap if you thrown 2 ints a game if we are winning by 40.

I know we sure as hell didnt hire anything like an SOS but the point is still valid.

He said > ie greater than 10 picks. So perhaps he agreed with you in advance and views that as a sign UF in this run based offense is passing enough and taking enough offensive risk. On the other hand perhaps like you he confused > great than and < less than.

Gator4Life

Known as A Member.
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2018
Show an offence that can move the ball with a QB that doesn't choke after the first play and a team that isn't whipped out by the end of the 3rd quater!!! Just to see a Gators team that's moving in the right direction again

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I'd say its a success if we identify a qb for the future, we make a bowl and we fill our needs in recruiting . I'm not worried about class rankings as long as we're close to top 10 and its balanced.
I agree with the 1st part but the recruiting part just dont make sense to me. It's amazing to me that our program has fallen so far that your not worried as long as were close to the top 10 in recruiting. Statements like this make me sick! Do you think Alabama fans say to themselves I'll be ok as long we finish close to top 5? No way on hell any of their fans say that. They expect #1 classes every year. Same goes for OSU and now UGA, they expect to compete for #1. Around here some are a ok with finishing outside the top 10. Well say what you will but Dan Mullen is the 8th highest paid coache in college football and I'm holding him accountable in his 1st full class. I think he did a great job in his transitional class but he's being outrecruitted by several 1st year coaches and it's pathetic how things are going so far. I'm holding hope that we at least pull a few of the top players that some think we will get but I have little faith in Mullen with how it's gone so far.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I’m pretty damn surprised to see kev have such little faith. Usually he’s optimistic as hell.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We've made great strides thus far just with MacNussy being removed and permanently banned from Gainesville. Not sure those two asshats would even have the balz to come back even if they coached a team we were playing.

Just be competitive and have an offense that is not painful to watch. Win games you should win and give those big teams fits and pull off some wins there. This is not a championship run season. Mullen has a shyt storm to clean up. Lets see if he's up to the challenge.

Caloosahatchee

I voted for Law!
Sep 12, 2014
He said > ie greater than 10 picks. So perhaps he agreed with you in advance and views that as a sign UF in this run based offense is passing enough and taking enough offensive risk. On the other hand perhaps like you he confused > great than and < less than.

Ummmm, may need to look up the use of those symbols...

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
* 8 wins or better
* Offense in top 60
* Win at least one rivalry game (out of FSU, UGA, UT, LSU....likely UT or LSU)
* Average margin of victory >9 pts (would be better than all of Butters' seasons and first seasons for Muschamp and Zook). I don't like this as an indicator of single-season success (note Zook's only season over 10 was his last one, and we all know what happened there), but it does seem to be a strong indicator of FIRST season success. Meyer averaged 9.75 points better than opponents in his first year, and SOS averaged 16.5 in 1991). >9 pts means we're comfortably beating who we should beat and holding our own in close losses.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Statements like this make me sick! Do you think Alabama fans say to themselves I'll be ok as long we finish close to top 5? No way on hell any of their fans say that. They expect #1 classes every year. Same goes for OSU and now UGA, they expect to compete for #1. Around here some are a ok with finishing outside the top 10.

If we had facilities that were not being classified by recruits as, and I'm quoting here, "section 8 housing" I think more of us would be expect top 5 classes. We were about 10 years behind the curve when Meyer was here. In the time since we got the IDPF and....? What has happened since here since Meyer? Meanwhile...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...all-facility-hatfield-dowlin-complex/2606223/

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/st...otball-center-just-time-signing-day/97274716/

https://rolltide.com/galleries/?gallery=1117

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/facilities/woody-hayes-center.html

If you don't think this should put a ceiling on our expectations until we decide to start competing in the arms race, I can't help you. The completion of the football complex will help, but it is a starting point not the end of the road if we want to really be competitive for the attention of 18 year-olds. UF is 20 years behind this, at least.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I propose a different poll:

A. How many people think the Donkey's rantings are well thought out and consistent.

v.

B. How many people think the Donkey's rantings often are contradictory.

It does not matter whether you love or hate Mullens. You object to holding him to standards this season indicating who knows what giving your random changing rantings.

I recognize Swonkey as a person of rare intelligence. :)

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Last edited:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Any quarterback playing just average instead of like a vagina.

An arrest record under 5 players total.

8-4, with one of the wins coming against UGA or the Evil Nole.

An offensive line that doesn't resemble a turnstile.

A top ten recruiting class come February.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Do you think Alabama fans say to themselves I'll be ok as long we finish close to top 5? No way on hell any of their fans say that. They expect #1 classes every year. Same goes for OSU and now UGA, they expect to compete for #1.

This is so so funny. When you are winning, you follow recruiting but you don't live and die by it unless you think your coaches are not very good and can only get by with vastly superior talent. When you are winning, winning is what matters and recruiting follows from that. UAL, Ohio State and now UGa fans care about winning games not recruiting rankings. Heck if anyone knows that winning recruiting is not the same as winning games it is UGa fans who for decades have had highly ranked recruiting and indifferent results on the field.

The idea that anyone would take a topic that says "This years team is a success if...." and interject recruiting into it is mind boggling. This team will only indirectly influence recruiting by their results on the field. Other than that this team can have no affect on recruiting and thus CAN be a success based ONLY on their record, offensive development and player development.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What do you think? What is your version of success for the first team of the Mullen era?

For me this year's team is a success...

1. If the guys are much more physical on both lines of scrimmage. Even if our talent deficit doesn't allow us much success against more elite lines immediately we ought to look like we are dominating the lower tier teams with our physicality and mean streak. No more soft lineman. What I'm looking for is more an indication of the culture and attitude change rather than being able to immediately push Bama around.

2. If we find our QB for the next 2 to 3 years. I don't care necessarily if there are bumps along the way as long as someone on campus right now can run the offense and not look completely lost nearly the entire time, like Franks did last year.

3. If this team doesn't roll over in a single game like last year's team did in a couple.

4. If the staff finish with a top 10 class with positive noise for the 2020 class.

This list is pretty good... I might add averaging at least 24-30ppg.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
This team and season is a success IF ALL of the following happens:

1. UF wins 10+ games.

2. UF's scoring offense goes up by at least 7 points per game.

3. UF's total offense goes up to at least 400 yards per game.

4. UF's scoring offense is under 25 points per game.

I think if the items 2 and 3 happen, then item 1 will not be a mirage this time. Item 4 would mean UF has not traded an unbalanced reliance on defense for an unbalanced reliance on offense.

Hasn’t our scoring offense been under 25 per game for several years now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator