Thoughts from the trip to Mizzou

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
I got back to Chicago Sunday night after a lot of driving to St. Louis, then to Columbia, etc. You get the idea.

If you have never been to Columbia, don't bother. This is my second trip (2013, we all remember that season). The people are super nice, but it is in the middle of NO WHERE, unless you consider corn fields.

They did upgrades to their stadium since the last time I went. The first time I went, I told my brother in law that it was not an SEC stadium. Now, it is. A lot of cool food options, especially BBQ in the stadium.

Their fans were genuinely shocked they beat us. I had to explain to them that we are a dumpster fire. I even showed a fan the Gators Twitter troll of Leslie Neilsen saying "Nothing to see here" after that, they got it. But none of their fans I spoke to thought they had any chance of winning...and I told them I didn't think UF had any chance....looks like I was right.

If you have never been to a Mizzou game....don't go out of your way just based on the sheer point that it is in the middle of nowhere and not much to do. Once you get on campus and near the stadium, there are ZERO dining options, unless you go the Hampton Inn or get hospital food. No joke.

I paid $80.00 over the summer for tickets through Ticketmaster...tickets were going for $20.00 outside the gate. Arrghhh. The stadium was maybe half full. The Gator section with our small band was even less full. Maybe it had to do with two crappy teams, an 11am start, 55 degrees....but there was ZERO energy in the stadium before the game or even during it. Not the greatest college football atmosphere.

All in all, a pretty useless trip. In all kinds of weather, a saying now which is starting to be worn out.

Windy City Gator.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Oh **** off about the being in the middle of no where.

Columbia is the halfway point between KC and STL and yes you're in a rural state, what else do you expect?

About the dining options, campus is literally two-three blocks from down town and is easily accessible if you know where you're going.

Also, there is plenty to do and Como's downtown is one of the best but you obviously didn't research your trip well. If any Gator fans would like to attend two years from now, I'd be glad to be their host in Columbia and ensure that they have a good time...

Is it as good as a other places? No, is it as bad as you're making it out to be? Not a chance. Next time put some effort in and research things to do...

Last edited:

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Columbia is the halfway point between KC and STL and yes you're in a rural state, what else do you expect?

About the dining options, campus is literally two-three blocks from down town and is easily accessible if you know where you're going.

Also, there is plenty to do and Como's downtown is one of the best but you obviously didn't research your trip well. If any Gator fans would like to attend two years from now, I'd be glad to be their host in Columbia and ensure that they have a good time...

:trux:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Is it as good as a other places? No, is it as bad as you're making it out to be? Not a chance. Next time put some effort in and research things to do...

You've been a little bitchy lately. Wanna talk about it?

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
You've been a little *****y lately. Wanna talk about it?

Nah just think it's comical some guy wants to trash an area ive spent all my life in and blame everyone but himself in regards to not knowing what to do or cost of tix or whatever...

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
If you have never been to Columbia, don't bother.

Despite chferg's defensive post, I will thank you for sharing. One of my thoughts is to someday travel to all the SEC stadiums with the wife, so we'll put this one well down on the list of places to go.

Perhaps, however, it would make sense to start 'away game' threads talking about where to go and what to do in town for those weekends for anyone who travels to a game? Sounds like chferg might have a different set of options for travellers. I can say I loved going to Columbia, SC (though beating them down to nothing in their home was a strong plus). I have been to the hedges, but it wasn't a game day. All stadiums are a bit of a hike now that we live in PA. Maybe one day we can travel, though.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Nah just think it's comical some guy wants to trash an area ive spent all my life in and blame everyone but himself in regards to not knowing what to do or cost of tix or whatever...
Jeebus man maybe you need to step away for a bit. I don't think he was trying to "trash" an area you live in.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Face it ferg, its a ****hole. A **** hole that is halfway between nowheresville and whogivea****istan.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Do you provide extra white sheets and tiki torches?

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Jeebus man maybe you need to step away for a bit. I don't think he was trying to "trash" an area you live in.

Says the guy who kicked and de-modded a guy for calling you out on a ridiculous prediction

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
You know I love ya Ferg, and yet... shythole.

I have no doubt the surrounding area is...

I'm just saying that Columbia isn't as bad as he makes it out to be. There are things to do but yes you have to plan just a bit

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Columbia MO. I've been through there several times and driven through the downtown area and the university campus. Columbia always gets high ratings as a good place to live. Hell, not everything has to look like Miami Beach. I'm sounding like that Ancient Reptile dude. Don't get me started.

They shouldn't be in the SEC. they need to be playing Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa State. Teams like that. Missouri is Midwestern not Southern.

https://livability.com/top-10/college/10-best-college-towns/2015/mo/columbia

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
On a positive note, I hear that The University of Missouri has some of the nicest and most posh safe spaces in the country. Quiet havens from reality where you can play with teddy bears as you try to not face the real world. After that game you may have wanted to pay a visit to a few.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
On a positive note, I hear that The University of Missouri has some of the nicest and most posh safe spaces in the country. Quiet havens from reality where you can play with teddy bears as you try to not face the real world. After that game you may have wanted to pay a visit to a few.

Our players looked like they needed a safe space Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator