Thoughts on Kelvin Taylor

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
What is the consensus on KT around here?

I think the kid is extremely overrated (at this point) and unimpressive. I'm hoping as the year moves forward he improves and shows that he's a better RB than he's shown on the field. His 4.2 yard average is extremely unimpressive considering half his games have been against ECU and New Mexico State. Throw out the 47 yard gain vs. UT and he had 18 carries for 55 yards. If his 2 backups weren't true freshman he'd likely be the #2 RB right now. He seems to block well and not fumble, which is good...but as a primary SEC RB he leaves a lot to be desired. Would it be safe to say he's not even a top-10 SEC RB right now?

I'm hoping he has a good week vs. Ole Miss, because we're going to need it to keep pressure off the QB. I also hope we see one of the freshman get some carries and playing time.

Attachments

• conv_4700.jpg
    conv_4700.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 119

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think he has lived up to expectations, but I thought he ran well this past Saturday. He had over 100 yards and 2 TDs running behind a very bad offensive line. On many of his runs he was avoiding people in the backfill and gaining 3 or 4 yards instead of taking a loss. I think the Tenn game was probably his best game since UGA and I am hoping he can build on it.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No impressed and certainly disappointed. He's the Chris Walker or Kasey Hill of our football team.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You can't take away long runs and then readjust his stats. Hell, let's do the same for all RBs and you'd see very similar results. That said, he's done a solid job this year, but he's not an elite RB by any stretch of the imagination. We've had better and we've had worse. Still holding out hope that he's a late bloomer like his dad. Fred really didn't blow anyone away until his senior year and ended up being a much better pro player than he was in college.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
MJMGator;n288369 said:
You can't take away long runs and then readjust his stats. Hell, let's do the same for all RBs and you'd see very similar results. That said, he's done a solid job this year, but he's not an elite RB by any stretch of the imagination. We've had better and we've had worse. Still holding out hope that he's a late bloomer like his dad. Fred really didn't blow anyone away until his senior year and ended up being a much better pro player than he was in college.

Agree about the long run.... and I'm not taking the long run "away" at all...just pointing out that he averaged 2.9 ypc on his other runs. He didn't have the long runs in his other games, which is why - before Tennessee - he was averaging less than 4 ypc...now he's up to 4.2 after UT and the 47 yarder. I hope he changes my mind by the end of the season. But he's a junior now and outside of the UGA game last year he's not really stood out - except for maybe the throat slash.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You have to be kidding...How can one even accurately assess his performance? It's been well noted by just about every analyst and journalist how bad our run blocking has been. We've been surprisingly "decent" in pass blocking but horrid in run blocking. He's met in the backfield more times than not. I just read an article today speaking of how bad run blocking has been and said the OL has made it nearly impossible to have a 5.0 run per carry average. No way to know how good he is.

I for one am hoping the OL steadily improves or the two stud RB's we have committed might start wondering if this is the OL they want blocking for them. I'm hoping, assuming it is mostly due to the youth and inexperience we have playing on the OL.

Another factor though is that we have absolutely sucked in our ability to hit a deep ball. Sucked! All we hit are short and intermediate routes. Therefore, the box is crowded leaving much less room to run. If we EVER develop a real deep threat and actually connect on a couple of long balls it'll spread the D out a little more and allow more running lanes...provided of course, the OL can open an actual hole for him to run through.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
MJMGator;n288369 said:
You can't take away long runs and then readjust his stats. Hell, let's do the same for all RBs and you'd see very similar results
Thank you....This is the case with pretty much every back. Even the best get stopped for minimal gains half of the time. KT will more than likely have a highlight reel of a game this season at some point until then we'll just have hope the offensive line keeps getting better. We should also appreciate that he has done a hell of a job in pass protection and I don't think he's fumbled very often during his career at UF, at least that I can remember.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He's a solid RB but he's had problems not reading the holes and hitting it as hard as he should...likes to take it outside too much. Though I am not down on him as his overall production has been solid considering the line he is running behind...it's going to get worse starting this week...doubtful any of our RB will be very productive behind our line. Seems to have improved his pass protection a ton since last year and will continue to be our featured back until the frosh improve in that area.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That Mark Thompson kid we have committed from JUCO could very well be our starting RB next year...he is HUGE and very fast and athletic for his build...look him up.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n288381 said:
That Mark Thompson kid we have committed from JUCO could very well be our starting RB next year...he is HUGE and very fast and athletic for his build...look him up.

I'm excited about that dude. He's gonna be a beast.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Alagator;n288378 said:
You have to be kidding...How can one even accurately assess his performance? It's been well noted by just about every analyst and journalist how bad our run blocking has been. We've been surprisingly "decent" in pass blocking but horrid in run blocking. He's met in the backfield more times than not. I just read an article today speaking of how bad run blocking has been and said the OL has made it nearly impossible to have a 5.0 run per carry average. No way to know how good he is.

I for one am hoping the OL steadily improves or the two stud RB's we have committed might start wondering if this is the OL they want blocking for them. I'm hoping, assuming it is mostly due to the youth and inexperience we have playing on the OL.

Another factor though is that we have absolutely sucked in our ability to hit a deep ball. Sucked! All we hit are short and intermediate routes. Therefore, the box is crowded leaving much less room to run. If we EVER develop a real deep threat and actually connect on a couple of long balls it'll spread the D out a little more and allow more running lanes...provided of course, the OL can open an actual hole for him to run through.

Dude, it's a message board. Something to talk about. I think he's average/mediocre....I thought he was going to be better. Like it said, the thread was posted on a message board...to generate discussion. Thanks for participating.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Taylor is a pretty decent tailback. If he had the line fournette had right now he'd prolly be averaging a good bit per carry as well. He's not impressed me all that much but he runs hard and pass blocks well and hasn't really fumbled at all.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Before reading replies, I'd have called KT 'solid, not great'. I'm not sure he would be great even if we had an OL that could open holes for him, which we do not. But he's been doing everything he's been asked, to the best of his ability - catches in the flat for a loss, blocking since the freshman must not be able to do it, and running all downs in the last game and most in the KY game (why is that? Give the young guys more chances, IMO). Bottom line, he's in a better situation than last year with the staff and QB we had then...but it is still a bad situation and he's doing what he can. For me, that's all I can ask - perform to the best of your ability, because he's the best we've got at this point, even if that isn't up to the level we'd have hoped for.

After reading the replies, I fully agree with Dude that Mark Thompson is going to be an improvement. Next year our running game overall will be better. Part of it will be a year of our OL getting it together and adding some more players into the rotation. Part of it will be the Jordan's having a year of coaching under their belt and a hunger to play after getting limited snaps this year. I don't know if KT will be back next year - most predicted he'd go pro early, but maybe not now that he's not putting up NFL numbers (again, not fully on him, but he still isn't showing NFL level of ability, and he could be sitting a few rounds behind Chubb and possibly Fournette in the draft). KT stays or goes, won't matter a whole lot to me as I'm sure we'll be much better in the run game. If he stays, the starting role isn't a lock, he'll be pushed for it, which is a good thing.

This year, I'm pleased with what we're getting from him. Next year, our running game will be better, with or without him.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with Wobble. He hasn't met expectations.

I think he runs with good vision and picking the wrong hole may have more to do with the offensive line not creating holes where they are supposed to. Not the fastest guy or strongest guy, but I think he'll get a shot in the pros. He may never make it past the practice squad, but I think he'll be given a shot because of his vision.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I am in the Camp that KT will show he is a quality RB. If you look at the first two games he split a lot of time with the two Freshmen. He got his first 100 yard game when he was the "go to guy" for the first time this season against a quality defense and with a below average SEC OL (yes that is improving to become average). I think you will see a quality season from KT. If I were to put numbers to it I would say 850-1000 yards this season with about 10 TDs. I know that there would be about half the teams in the country that would take those numbers.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He hasn't lived up to expectations. He was our second best back last season, when a number of fans (including a few vocal posters here) said that he was the best even when his numbers and game tape didn't show it. In the first two games he appeared to be our second best back, still dancing in the hole. Kentucky where due to injury he was asked to be the man, was a much better game. I also believe he and Coach McElwain talked after the ECU game. Tennesse he was also better, much more decisive. At times he reverts to old KT where he has a wide open hole, but still dances until that opening is gone. He also at times still looks to make a huge play instead of taking what the defense is giving him. I'm hoping he is like Fred where it all comes together in his junior and senior seasons. But as of right now he is an average SEC back, when the expectation was he would be one of the best in the conference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb