Thoughts on Kelvin Taylor

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We already knew he couldnt catch and wasnt a blazer. Plenty of NFL starters and hofers were 4.6 guys, including Emmitt. The lack of hands will hurt him more.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He's a guy with great vision and effort. His tape shows a lot. His pro day will do a lot to help or hurt him.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oh and Joe Haden ran a 4.57 at his combine

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
But, he's a gamer!

palm.jpg

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone still think KT is a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick?? Or more like an undrafted FA?

From the Combine:

Kelvin Taylor, running back, Florida: The early entrant was a bit of an unknown commodity heading into Indy, but his legacy (as Fred Taylor's son) fueled expectations of a strong performance this weekend. However, Taylor didn't deliver the goods with a poor 40 time (4.60) and a lackluster showing in drills (too many dropped passes), leading to more questions about his fit as a feature back.

Taylor only managed 15 bench presses (4th fewest among RBs), a 32.0 inch vertical (5 worst among RBs), and 113.0 broad jump (4th lowest).

All I heard was his performance, or lack there of, was due to poor O-Line and if he had an NFL O-Line he'd be magical. Right? Isn't that what you understood as well?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
All I heard was his performance, or lack there of, was due to poor O-Line and if he had an NFL O-Line he'd be magical. Right? Isn't that what you understood as well?

Yep...and that he could "pass-pro".

Can't wait to see a real RB in our starting lineup!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I've never seen a RB bench press while on the field... Also... haven't seen him jump from standing still...

Breakaway speed isn't as important as ability to see the hole and cut.

I think Kelvin can do that... he had to avoid a lot of guys behind the line last year. Anybody who didn't see that wasn't watching. We really didn't get to see if he could find and cut into the hole like a true RB because he was always having to avoid a guy before he could even get to anything that looked like a hole.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kelvin has never been a top tier talent, but he was the best we had last year. The 40 time isn't surprising, he isn't the fastest back, and I wouldn't expect a much faster time on his pro day. The thing that should worry pro scouts is the lack of explosiveness in the broad jump and vertical jump. I would have expected more out of his drill, it was like he was striding instead of sprinting. But he has been a mid round back since last year, people who had him as a first round talent were kidding themselves.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Doubtful he'll be a feature back but he could have a role. He's got solid vision and quick feet that makes up for the homerun speed. Late round or UFA at best though

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not on the same page as most you guys. I think he's going to be a solid player in the NFL. 5 to 6 years splitting time with another back. Probably fourth round pick.

I would've not said that after his sophomore year. But I thought he was much better at finding holes and much more decisive and cutting last year.

Unfortunately defenders were in the backfield all year.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kelvin ran for 1000+ behind a sh!tty O line. Anybody that thinks he isn't a real RB, is dumb as ****

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kelvin ran for 1000+ behind a sh!tty O line. Anybody that thinks he isn't a real RB, is dumb as ****

Define real running back..... He was behind four guys playing in the NFL in 2014... he will be drafted mid round and probably have approximately 5 years career. Does that not make him a "real" running back?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Define real running back..... He was behind four guys playing in the NFL in 2014... he will be drafted mid round and probably have approximately 5 years career. Does that not make him a "real" running back?

No doubt that his 2014 season was subpar. He was immensely better last year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No doubt that his 2014 season was subpar. He was immensely better last year.

He was better than 2014 last year, because he was more decisive. But last year being his best year, still makes him more than a mid round pick in this draft with probably a 5 year career. Nothing is wrong with that, but he isn't a first or early second day pick some people are making him out to be.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He was better than last year, because he was more decisive. But last year being his best year, still makes him more than a mid round pick in this draft with probably a 5 year career. Nothing is wrong with that, but he isn't a first or early second day pick some people are making him out to be.

I don't think he will be a top draft pick, but he could end up having a very good NFL career. Particularly, because he gets better late in games. Which means he can really break the back of the defense. His output could be equal or better than Matt Jones.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think he will be a top draft pick, but he could end up having a very good NFL career. Particularly, because he gets better late in games. Which means he can really break the back of the defense. His output could be equal or better than Matt Jones.

A five year career is a good career for an NFL running back. Not a whole lot of backs get that far. I could see him in a role more along what NE does with their backs, a situational guy with chances of shining against the right defense. Then again he might go to the Dolphins where careers go to die.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think he improves his stock on pro day, and he ends up with a decent career, nothing great.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I've never seen a RB bench press while on the field... Also... haven't seen him jump from standing still...

So you have never seen a runningback use his hands to block a rush defender like this:
AP68048131935.jpg

The need for a strong chest, and explosive legs muscles aren't needed in the NFL?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb