Thoughts on Kelvin Taylor

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
One thing worth mentioning. Are KT's shortcomings based entirely on him or can we all agree that he was probably underdeveloped by the the previous regime?? We are getting a lot out of KT this year and I fully expect the coaches to continue to help make him better.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n295050 said:
We will get there. It's remarkable what we are doing with 2-3 true freshman and a lower division transfer.

I think a lot of us are really looking forward to next year even though we are still undefeated this year. We are going to be nasty down the road.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He's getting better with every game. Tonight he was terrific in the first half. In the second half we ran more to run the clock and protect the lead, and a good Mizzou defense did a better job against the run. But there's no doubt he's betting better as a runner, and he's getting everything the line gives him and more.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Advanced Metrics from Football Outsiders tell the story that Taylor and the backs have performed ok but the OL overall is not good.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol

Gator ball carriers are getting met at or behind the line on 20 percent of their carries, 78th best percentage in college football.

On plays where the line has done their job and created space for for a five yard gain, Gator backs have done the job 40 percent of the time, 60th best in the league.

I'm looking for Taylor specific stats but this is what I found so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n295075 said:
I think a lot of us are really looking forward to next year even though we are still undefeated this year. We are going to be nasty down the road.

enjoy the ride. In football one injury to a key player i.e. QB can finish you. This year we need to march to Atlanta. There is no next year just next game.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Swamped Gator;n295060 said:
One thing worth mentioning. Are KT's shortcomings based entirely on him or can we all agree that he was probably underdeveloped by the the previous regime?? We are getting a lot out of KT this year and I fully expect the coaches to continue to help make him better.

I think he may just be a late bloomer...like his daddy.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Taylor is easily our best back in the open field and IMO a very underrated runner between the tackles. The kid has tremendous lower-body strength.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
@RBs, if you're running North-South and avoid that south side shuffle stuff, I like you.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n295153 said:
I think he may just be a late bloomer...like his daddy.
People forget that Fred Taylor was basically a backup to Terry Jackson until his senior year.

Taylor was definitely the better runner, but Terry could run also, and he blocked and caught the ball better. Fred Taylor didn't really become "THE MAN" until 1997.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n295353 said:
People forget that Fred Taylor was basically a backup to Terry Jackson until his senior year.

Taylor was definitely the better runner, but Terry could run also, and he blocked and caught the ball better. Fred Taylor didn't really become "THE MAN" until 1997.

And it wasn't really until midway through the year in '97 that he showed his speed.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;n299067 said:
15 carries.....25 yards.......

Yeah, and it's all his fault he gets met by 3-4 defenders in the backfield 90% of his carries, right?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm ready to move on. 1/2 of the season is over and we know what we're getting with him. Time to build the future especially since neither Jordan's will be able to redshirt.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
O-line has to block better and open up some holes. Emmitt Smith wouldn't have rushed for 50 yards in this game tonight cause there was ZERO blocking.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n299263 said:
I'm ready to move on. 1/2 of the season is over and we know what we're getting with him. Time to build the future especially since neither Jordan's will be able to redshirt.
There is no future in watching freshmen fumble or miss blocking assignments.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Nothing has really changed since this thread was started. He's serviceable, slightly better than league average, but far from great.

It was nice to have a Scarlett sighting even if it was only one play.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I kind of feel bad for him. No RB is going to have good numbers with our O line being so young going against a lot of NFL draft pick D linemen. They aren't getting hardly any push in the run game due to a lack of strength right now I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.