Thoughts on the Eastern Michigan game?

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Blowout City, Treon for Heisman, Muschamp coach of the year, Debose comeback player of the yearsss, offense video game like efficiency, defense super bowl like stout, and Gators National Champs!! At least that's what I saw in this first game. Go Gators!!

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n43954 said:
I was impressed with driskel the most, debose and Dunbar dropped a couple deep balls that should have been caught. I think driskel is going to be even better as the season progresses. We did what we we re supposed to do in all phases.

I don't blame Dunbar for that one drop. He obviously landed on that shoulder and got a stinger. You could tell how his hand became useless and the ball gently rolled out. He had no feeling in that hand after landing on the shoulder. It happens sometimes, thank god it's only temporary. Now the other drops, yeah, they were ugly. No excuse for those.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30 said:
My thoughts:

1. David Sharpe looked good. He is physically imposing. On a couple of plays he moved his guy 5-6 yards. He may be better than Humphries by the end of the year.

2. D-Rob needs the ball more. He is clearly on another level than the other receivers. He can do things the others can't.

3. Tyler Moore doesn't need to be playing. I counted at least 3 plays where he did his bullfighter impersonation by getting beat by a DTs swim move.

4. Quincy Wilson need to teach Tabor how to jam a receiver. I watched Wilson jam his guy a number of times only to watch the receiver struggle to get free. Tabor did his normal weak jam allowing the receiver to get a step on him. Still, Tabor is far more fluid with his hips than Wilson.

5. Neiron ball looks fast. Extremely fast. He continues playing at that speed he is going to have a good year.

6. Clay Burton was very impressive catching everything thrown at him and even making a diving catch. It seems Driskel trusts him. It is clear the guy has worked very hard on catching the football. Props to him.
7. Dunbar needs to work on catching the ball. He had two drops that were perfect passes.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Great win. I like how we are playing as a team again and with confidence on both sides of the ball.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
If we see Moore again I suppose we've hit the bottom of the barrel on the line. And I was hoping for a game without a season ending injury which really sucked. But tons of positives here, my favorite takeaway is the Robinson kid just looks phenomenal.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r said:
t-gator;n43954 said:
I was impressed with driskel the most, debose and Dunbar dropped a couple deep balls that should have been caught. I think driskel is going to be even better as the season progresses. We did what we we re supposed to do in all phases.

I don't blame Dunbar for that one drop. He obviously landed on that shoulder and got a stinger. You could tell how his hand became useless and the ball gently rolled out. He had no feeling in that hand after landing on the shoulder. It happens sometimes, thank god it's only temporary. Now the other drops, yeah, they were ugly. No excuse for those.
Either way driskel looked really good

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
kepler said:
If we see Moore again I suppose we've hit the bottom of the barrel on the line. And I was hoping for a game without a season ending injury which really sucked. But tons of positives here, my favorite takeaway is the Robinson kid just looks phenomenal.
Everyone is saying Sharpe played well (I didn't notice him) but I did see Rod Johnson playing early in the first. He played some good minutes so it's good to know that two young guys broke in with the 6 guys that started games last year.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
It was nice to beat the crap out of someone and never have it be in question.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
The center of the OL looked a little weak is the only real problem I see right now.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Nice to see the ball being spread around, meaningful down field attack and my wife not being able to guess the next play :lol:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
kepler said:
I agree. Moore is awful. On the plus side, I didn't see Moore get muscled like last year. So that's some improvement. I'm curious as to who stats at LT against the kittens. Sharpe played first but Green took the most snaps at LT after Humphries went down. Either Johnson or Sharpe is getting their first start next week.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I wasn't crazy about all the horizontal passes, but EMU really wasn't giving us a choice with how far back the d-backs were playing. Loved how many times we threw the ball deep. Even if you only complete a couple, it creates the threat and makes the defense account for it, which opens a lot more room for underneath routes and running plays. Running backs looked great today, as expected, and the WRs played fantastic with the exception of a couple drops. Clay Burton really showed us something today, and my heart is just absolutely broken for Jake McGee. I guess he could medical redshirt if he wants, though.

Defense was as advertised, but EMU wasn't exactly a challenge for them. Glad they got the pick 6, defensive TDs are so much fun.

All in all, it just felt good to annihilate a team. It's been far too long since we've just buried someone from the opening gun. Looking forward to them working out some of the kinks with the offense. Go Gators!

Edit: And Debose's punt return? Holy sh*t! :faint:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Its was just EMU. I know.

But we REALLY, REALLY needed it.

Very proud of all our boys. It's the first game. Too early to worry about anything yet.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
First time in forever we've made the opponent defend the entire field.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n44165 said:
Its was just EMU. I know.

But we REALLY, REALLY needed it.

Very proud of all our boys. It's the first game. Too early to worry about anything yet.

True. It is a start on the road back.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Defense was great and will keep us in every game this year. The pass rush seemed to be improved from last year, and the young players got a lot playing time and still shut them out. Couldn't ask for a better performance on that side of the ball. Offensively, obviously the major improvements are encouraging, but there is still room for improvement. I thought the run game was good but inconsistent. Too many runs for little gain. The O-line is still adjusting to the new zone scheme I think. I loved the willingness to throw the ball, even with Harris in. Shows that they wanted to send a message, and they did. Just wish some of those field goals were touchdowns. This might sound crazy, but I don't think they opened up the playbook as much as it seems. It seemed obvious to me that they wanted Driskel to run as little as possible, and if I remember correctly, there were many common plays from Duke and even the spring game that weren't run in this one. I think we'll see more of the playbook next week and even more at Bama. Anyone know why Adam Lane didn't play? His absence was disappointing.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB said:
Defense was great and will keep us in every game this year. The pass rush seemed to be improved from last year, and the young players got a lot playing time and still shut them out. Couldn't ask for a better performance on that side of the ball. Offensively, obviously the major improvements are encouraging, but there is still room for improvement. I thought the run game was good but inconsistent. Too many runs for little gain. The O-line is still adjusting to the new zone scheme I think. I loved the willingness to throw the ball, even with Harris in. Shows that they wanted to send a message, and they did. Just wish some of those field goals were touchdowns. This might sound crazy, but I don't think they opened up the playbook as much as it seems. It seemed obvious to me that they wanted Driskel to run as little as possible, and if I remember correctly, there were many common plays from Duke and even the spring game that weren't run in this one. I think we'll see more of the playbook next week and even more at Bama. Anyone know why Adam Lane didn't play? His absence was disappointing.
I broke that up into paragraphs on my phone but it didn't post that way.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB said:
Lane wasn't at the game. Family emergency.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good tune-up, that's all.

Encouraged but still see room for improvement.

Really sorry about the injury to McGee, we will need him against the better teams.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n44199 said:

Losing McGee is big I think. The guy is a pretty proven TE from another D1. Figured him to have some clutch, break their back moments for us. Everyone says he blended into Orange and Blue well. Anyway, here's to a positive slope toward stardom Gators. We have weapons. Go Gators!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.