Three man fronts yesterday

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
It's understandable that we are all talking about the QB play, but was anyone surprised the number of times we were in 3-man fronts yesterday? I know it is Grantham's thing, all the stuff coming out for public consumption was talking about how the transition would be based on the players available...yada, yada, yada, coach speak.

If this was just my four beers in perception of what went down, someone set me straight; but it seemed like we were doing it a lot. Do you guys think having the ability to go with multiple looks will make it more difficult to prepare for us and maybe help us partial cover some of the recruiting sins of the past few years? I think it could. I'm not expecting us to be a feared defense in year one, but I think we should could be better than last year just by being less vanilla.

5-Star Finger

Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Grantham runs a 3-4. Logic would lead most to assume that we'll see mostly 3 man fronts.

Maybe I wasn't clear:

It I know it is Grantham's thing, all the stuff coming out for public consumption was talking about how the transition would be based on the players available...yada, yada, yada, coach speak.

I got the impression from most everything Bowl and the others were publishing that we were going to see it in a limited amount this year due to personnel. The surprise from me is not that we saw it, but how often we saw it. We are not exactly deep at 3-4 DEs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I got the impression from most everything Bowl and the others were publishing that we were going to see it in a limited amount this year due to personnel. The surprise from me is not that we saw it, but how often we saw it. We are not exactly deep at 3-4 DEs.
Bowl doesn't know the first thing about football. We will play 3-4 PERIOD.... except when we're playing nickel. A defensive tackle makes a fine defensive end in a 3-4.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe I wasn't clear:

Stop reading his articles.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Every new coach at their initial press conference always says the exact same thing: "We will install a system that best suits the player's abilities". Never forget the biggest lie ever told in Gator football history by Urban Meyer at his initial Q and A when asked if Chris Leak was suited to run his offense: "There is no offense". :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:. I am not arguing about ensuing results, I am only talking about what they say initially.

99.9% of coaches are going to run the only systems they know. Period. Regardless of the talent, regardless of the results, regardless of abilities. Whether it works or not, we have been quite fond of trying to fit square pegs into round holes the last 10 or so years in football!

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Every new coach at their initial press conference always says the exact same thing: "We will install a system that best suits the player's abilities". Never forget the biggest lie ever told in Gator football history by Urban Meyer at his initial Q and A when asked if Chris Leak was suited to run his offense: "There is no offense". :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:. I am not arguing about ensuing results, I am only talking about what they say initially.

99.9% of coaches are going to run the only systems they know. Period. Regardless of the talent, regardless of the results, regardless of abilities. Whether it works or not, we have been quite fond of trying to fit square pegs into round holes the last 10 or so years in football!

If so they are totally ignorant, who would have thought that say Saban would want and use a dual threat QB? Time will tell.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Yeah unless I've been asleep for the last few years please tell me where we have 3-4 down linemen? Bullard, Brantley were the last 2 Defensive linemen we've had here who were anywhere capable of being the type to play in this front.....If you don't have a 330-360# NT to anchor you better have some Shariff Floyd/D.Easley/J.Bullard types who can disrupt with both power and speed....and I ain't seen any of those types on our roster lately.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Bowl doesn't know the first thing about football. We will play 3-4 PERIOD.... except when we're playing nickel. A defensive tackle makes a fine defensive end in a 3-4.
Have to admit that Swonkey called that. I thought we would transition into the 3-4 a bit at the time. Looks like a blind squirrel just found an acorn.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Ancrum, Conliffe and Z. Carter will be good fits as the SDE in the 3-4. Conliffe was built perfectly for this system. He reminds me of Easley.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Our D will be much improved this year with the new coaching staff. S&C will factor highly into that too.

5-Star Finger

Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I was glad to see it. I just didn't think the good guys had the type of linebackers that can play inside in that scheme. Like many other positions, that one needs a huge influx of talent.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Have to admit that Swonkey called that. I thought we would transition into the 3-4 a bit at the time.
Looking at what they did before and predicting they will again is hardly difficult.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Well Mullen didnt let the QB hardly run any QB option when he had Tyler Russell as his starter at MSU. I think Prescott came in a few times to run it some that year but that was about it.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Yeah unless I've been asleep for the last few years please tell me where we have 3-4 down linemen? Bullard, Brantley were the last 2 Defensive linemen we've had here who were anywhere capable of being the type to play in this front.....If you don't have a 330-360# NT to anchor you better have some Shariff Floyd/D.Easley/J.Bullard types who can disrupt with both power and speed....and I ain't seen any of those types on our roster lately.
TJ Slaton is perfect for NT in a 3-4. He's like 6'3" 335lbs. He's a true sophomore. He's playing behind Clark. I think Clark can be a good NT too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.