Tiger is Back! Leading at British Open

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gary Player, among others, wore the same style back in the 60s. So apparently improper attire has been around for a while.

So, I'm at the Memphis Zoo 1969, staring at the White Rhino in paddock, I look at the stalked info-podium where an engraved brass plate tells all "This rare Rhino was captured by Ian Player, brother of golfer Gary Player." :cool:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tiger will win the Masters without a doubt. This sets up the perfect story for his triumphant return to glory. Already a done deal.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Please explain this. Twenty years ago I was a +2. At school I played with one or two future PGA pros. I was just as long as they were. They were however in another league in accuracy and short game.

All that ended when my back went nuts. I never worried at all when hitting a 4 iron. For a 2 or 3, I kept telling myself, swing it like a 4, swing it like a 4. What do you do when you're in between. Are you guys supermen?

In between? For 99% of amateurs, getting an approach shot over 175 yards anywhere near the green is an accomplishment. I'd rather have an extra wedge in the bag so I can take full swings from closer in. Best I ever got my handicap was a +4. I could hit my 5 iron 200 yards, my 3 hybrid 225, my 3 wood 250. 25 yard gaps at those ranges are well within the consistency ability of even accomplished amateurs IMO.

Zambo answered it although I don't carry a hybrid. My 5 gets 200-215. If I'm at a Par 3 that's 210, I'd use the 5 and hope to hell I get a roll out of it of some wind carry. I too try to tell myself to hit the 4 just like the 4, but it never works that way.

I carry a 52, 56, and 60 degree.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Forget Bay Hill, the Masters is going to be a lot more interesting this year. Tiger charging at Augusta again would be pretty cool. The other golfers bore the crap out of everyone, the tour needs Tiger back.

I agree. The young great ones today seem so ordinary. No swagger, no personality. They seem interchangeable. Like you can’t tell a Lexus from a Mercedes from a Hyundai. Tiger brings something more to the event.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
:lol: I'd like to see him win just to watch GatorinGeorgia's head explode.

Meh...it’ll take a lot more than Tiger winning the Paint Brush Classic to make my head explode. If he wins 4 more majors to tie Jack there might be a none to slim chance of me losing it. Until then, winning some rinky-dink events or even winning another major or two is pretty much the ceiling I predicted for Eldrick many, many years ago.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree. The young great ones today seem so ordinary. No swagger, no personality. They seem interchangeable. Like you can’t tell a Lexus from a Mercedes from a Hyundai. Tiger brings something more to the event.
Yep, like hookers & blow.

Always a crowd favorite.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm confident with a 5 iron and rarely, very rarely, pull out the 4 iron. But a 2 iron? Geez.

I don't even carry an iron longer than 5.

:wtf:

You guy's would've just LOVED playing with blades & choosing between carrying the 1 iron or the 4 wood. Ball first gentlemen, ball first.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My Mizuno blades have treated me quite well. There is just no reason to make the game any harder than it needs to be.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My Mizuno blades have treated me quite well. There is just no reason to make the game any harder than it needs to be.
There weren't hybrids & woods were actually wood. Steel shafts. One big plus was those sweet Balata covered Titleists. Club & ball technology has changed the game so much even the courses have had to be redesigned to keep the challenge up to what it was originally designed for.

Not that that's bad, it's just very different & skill sets have changed. Ball striking ability has lost much of its importance to "player improvement" clubs.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Palm Harbor but they kept calling it Tampa. I’m guessing Tampa tourism paid for that. It’s north of Clearwater & practically in Tarpon Springs.
It's media ignorance that leads to the misleading broad brush stroke. The tourism heads for this side of the bay, not Tampa.

Tampa has the trendy neighborhoods and high crime, we have the beautiful beaches and coastline.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo answered it although I don't carry a hybrid. My 5 gets 200-215. If I'm at a Par 3 that's 210, I'd use the 5 and hope to hell I get a roll out of it of some wind carry. I too try to tell myself to hit the 4 just like the 4, but it never works that way.

I carry a 52, 56, and 60 degree.
I carry 3 wedges too 52, 56, 58 instead of any longer clubs. Well i guess i do have a 3 and 4 in my bag but mainly use them if i end up in the woods and need to hit something low. Other than that i've never been able to hit the longer irons worth a ****. Debating about whether to shorten them up like that guy that has all his clubs the same length...maybe then i could hit those better?

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Palm Harbor but they kept calling it Tampa. I’m guessing Tampa tourism paid for that. It’s north of Clearwater & practically in Tarpon Springs.
Yeah I'm very aware of where this course is...i'm just lazy and call anything near a big city the name of the big city...

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There weren't hybrids & woods were actually wood. Steel shafts. One big plus was those sweet Balata covered Titleists. Club & ball technology has changed the game so much even the courses have had to be redesigned to keep the challenge up to what it was originally designed for.

Not that that's bad, it's just very different & skill sets have changed. Ball striking ability has lost much of its importance to "player improvement" clubs.
:goon::goon::goon:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I carry 3 wedges too 52, 56, 58 instead of any longer clubs. Well i guess i do have a 3 and 4 in my bag but mainly use them if i end up in the woods and need to hit something low. Other than that i've never been able to hit the longer irons worth a ****. Debating about whether to shorten them up like that guy that has all his clubs the same length...maybe then i could hit those better?
If you shorten them it be like chocking up. You wouldn’t hit them any farther than the 5. But I do agree, they are good for getting out of the trees.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you shorten them it be like chocking up. You wouldn’t hit them any farther than the 5. But I do agree, they are good for getting out of the trees.
But the degree of the face is still different... would that be a wash...i don't know and i was kind of joking anyway. Unfortunately i only get to play about 10 times a year max anyway so my game is crap anyway. Went from around a 5 or 6 to probably 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb