TJ McCoy hospitalized

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Happy that TJ is OK. Football aside, we could have been reading a much more sobering story today. Thank God it wasn't more serious and hope the idiots that hit him and his girlfriend deal with and learn from the consequences of their actions. Hope he makes a full recovery!

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Im hoping the drunk driver wasnt one of our players
It was a female in a Honda, around 3AM. Everybody on the road at that time of the morning is either going home from a nite job or drunk. And these two 300 pounders are riding around on a scooter when they should have been in bed. They are just lucky to be alive. What's the old saying, "nothing good happens after midnight."

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
And these two 300 pounders are riding around on a scooter "

Two 300 pounders? Are you saying his girlfriend is a 300 pounder?

In any case, you're right about after midnight. College students start going out for the night at 10-11pm, so it is a dangerous mix. I'm speaking from experience. Thankful they are ok.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Pictures tell a lot. I hope the smiles in his hospital room indicate his and his girlfriend's injuries are minor. If so, they are fortunate. Vehicles, momentum & pavement are dangerous.

Just looked at her mugshot. I hope she's able to get the memo. Thankfully no one was killed and hopefully the injuries are minor. We all make mistakes. We don't all learn from them.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Glad to hear he's mostly doing okay, hope there are no lasting issues.
And they better throw the book at that beotch!

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Nothing good happens after 12 am and I'm just glad the kid is ok. People nowadays can't drive sober let alone drunk so he got very lucky! #ChompChomp

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When will we start taking this crime, and yes DWI is a crime, seriously?
We despise murderers, rapists, et al but seem to have nothing but compassion for drunk drivers. Why?

When a person is killed by a drunk driver, there is no accident the driver knew full well what they were doing when they got in the car and yet many of us feel sorry for the perpetrator. Why?

Losing a family member to a drunk driver is one of my worst fears since it can happen to anybody at anytime and nothing ever changes.

Time to make DWI a capital crime.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Most annoying and yet spot on statement ever made by a parent. Hard to tell young people what to do. We all fought our parents over curfew thinking they were such stiffs until we became them and realized the truth

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
When will we start taking this crime, and yes DWI is a crime, seriously?
We despise murderers, rapists, et al but seem to have nothing but compassion for drunk drivers. Why?

When a person is killed by a drunk driver, there is no accident the driver knew full well what they were doing when they got in the car and yet many of us feel sorry for the perpetrator. Why?

Losing a family member to a drunk driver is one of my worst fears since it can happen to anybody at anytime and nothing ever changes.

Time to make DWI a capital crime.

As a former Public Defender, DUI homicides were the most difficult cases, BY FAR. The defendant is already distraught by his actions; he had no intent to hurt anyone. That's what makes this crime different than others, there was no intent to do harm, yet a life was taken and accountability must be had

The only difference between him, and your average DUI (no accident or death) is luck, pure luck. So, shouldn't the average DUI be sentenced like a DUI homicide when only luck separates the two?

Most painful, is when a DUI defendant kills his or own passenger. No amount of prison will make the defendant more remorseful, because he is already suffering the ultimate punishment. Prison will not make the defendant more remorseful. It will also not prevent future DUIs by the defendant, b/c he or she will never do it again. So, what amount of prison is appropriate:

life, because a life was taken;
No time, because the defendant has already suffered the ultimate loss
A few years, because that seems like an appropriate middle ground?

I really don't know. All I know is having seen these issues first hand: DONT DRINK AND DRIVE!

You just dropped $50 at a bar, spend the $10 on an uber.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Only 2 reasons to be up after 2am; getting laid....or trying to get laid!

Crazy story. Glad he's going to be fine.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
As a former Public Defender, DUI homicides were the most difficult cases, BY FAR. The defendant is already distraught by his actions; he had no intent to hurt anyone. That's what makes this crime different than others, there was no intent to do harm, yet a life was taken and accountability must be had

The only difference between him, and your average DUI (no accident or death) is luck, pure luck. So, shouldn't the average DUI be sentenced like a DUI homicide when only luck separates the two?

Most painful, is when a DUI defendant kills his or own passenger. No amount of prison will make the defendant more remorseful, because he is already suffering the ultimate punishment. Prison will not make the defendant more remorseful. It will also not prevent future DUIs by the defendant, b/c he or she will never do it again. So, what amount of prison is appropriate:

life, because a life was taken;
No time, because the defendant has already suffered the ultimate loss
A few years, because that seems like an appropriate middle ground?

I really don't know. All I know is having seen these issues first hand: DONT DRINK AND DRIVE!

You just dropped $50 at a bar, spend the $10 on an uber.

Imo it should be sentencing for the act you actually did. People die from being punched after arguing with people over something but that should be treated also for the outcome. If the person dies because you get mad and punched them its manslaughter and its Battery if they don't have something crazy happen to them as a result. I guess "luck" is involved in a lot of things in life. Also If people want DUI manslaughter charges in their state to have a guaranteed minimum they should change the laws to reflect that minimum sentence. I guess this DUI manslaughter stuff will really go down when we have self driving cars all over the place.

FL was crazy some years back until they made fleeing the scene of a death/major injury a 2nd degree felony itself and some people got off with misdemeanor sentences because they fled and no DUI case could be proven.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This could get political in a hurry but I'm just going to say right here, right now that anyone who gets behind the wheel after drinking alcohol knows damn good and well they're impaired and shouldn't be driving. The moment they put the keys in the ignition and start the vehicle and start driving, they're putting a dangerous weapon into motion under the control of an impaired operator. They assume the risk of murdering someone by nature of their decision. Stop trying to make excuses for drunken driving. There are ZERO excuses for it.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here in the Czech Republic, where we have the highest per capita beer consumption in the world (take that Germany!), there is no BAC that is allowable. If you have alcohol in your system, you're guilty. I don't drink, but this seems like it would take the excuses and any guess work out of it. I would support that kind of change of law in Florida as well.

Get well soon TJ!

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
When I was younger, I drove while drinking on numerous occasions and somehow never got caught and thankfully never hurt anyone. Now I dont drink much at all maybe some wine with dinner or a shot of burbon here and there but these days if I have had one sip of alcohol, I dont drive period.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This could get political in a hurry but I'm just going to say right here, right now that anyone who gets behind the wheel after drinking alcohol knows damn good and well they're impaired and shouldn't be driving. The moment they put the keys in the ignition and start the vehicle and start driving, they're putting a dangerous weapon into motion under the control of an impaired operator. They assume the risk of murdering someone by nature of their decision. Stop trying to make excuses for drunken driving. There are ZERO excuses for it.
The pothead speaketh

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator