TJ McCoy hospitalized

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Here in the Czech Republic, where we have the highest per capita beer consumption in the world (take that Germany!), there is no BAC that is allowable. If you have alcohol in your system, you're guilty. I don't drink, but this seems like it would take the excuses and any guess work out of it. I would support that kind of change of law in Florida as well.

Get well soon TJ!

Are they like Russia and some other places where the law is really strict but most of the cops will take payoffs for the most part to let it slide.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
The problem is alcohol impairs a person's judgment so they don't often realize how impaired they are. The bigger problem is that everyone knows this before the first drink of the night is consumed.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The ignorant asshat interjects.
DcfH_rE7.jpg

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Two 300 pounders? Are you saying his girlfriend is a 300 pounder?

In any case, you're right about after midnight. College students start going out for the night at 10-11pm, so it is a dangerous mix. I'm speaking from experience. Thankful they are ok.
I doubt it very much that his girlfriend is a 300 pounder. You couldn't get 2 on a scooter unless you were in a circus. I was using poetic license :-).

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
This could get political in a hurry but I'm just going to say right here, right now that anyone who gets behind the wheel after drinking alcohol knows damn good and well they're impaired and shouldn't be driving. The moment they put the keys in the ignition and start the vehicle and start driving, they're putting a dangerous weapon into motion under the control of an impaired operator. They assume the risk of murdering someone by nature of their decision. Stop trying to make excuses for drunken driving. There are ZERO excuses for it.
That's a good speech and too true.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Are they like Russia and some other places where the law is really strict but most of the cops will take payoffs for the most part to let it slide.

No, I don't think that kind of corruption is widespread here.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As a former Public Defender, DUI homicides were the most difficult cases, BY FAR. The defendant is already distraught by his actions; he had no intent to hurt anyone. That's what makes this crime different than others, there was no intent to do harm, yet a life was taken and accountability must be had

The only difference between him, and your average DUI (no accident or death) is luck, pure luck. So, shouldn't the average DUI be sentenced like a DUI homicide when only luck separates the two?

Most painful, is when a DUI defendant kills his or own passenger. No amount of prison will make the defendant more remorseful, because he is already suffering the ultimate punishment. Prison will not make the defendant more remorseful. It will also not prevent future DUIs by the defendant, b/c he or she will never do it again. So, what amount of prison is appropriate:

life, because a life was taken;
No time, because the defendant has already suffered the ultimate loss
A few years, because that seems like an appropriate middle ground?

I really don't know. All I know is having seen these issues first hand: DONT DRINK AND DRIVE!

You just dropped $50 at a bar, spend the $10 on an uber.

I agree with every word you said except "there was no intent". When you knowingly get behind the wheel of the car intoxicated, there is intent.
You know the potential consequences and you put yourself above the concerns for others.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I agree with every word you said except "there was no intent". When you knowingly get behind the wheel of the car intoxicated, there is intent.
You know the potential consequences and you put yourself above the concerns for others.

I agree with you, there is a reckless intent when you get in the car drunk.

On an academic level, I find it interesting that the only difference between a DUI and a DUI homicide is 100% luck, yet the two crimes have drastically different sentences. There is nothing more emotional than a dui homicide sentencing, everyone loses

On a brighter note, TJ McCoy was probably the most pleasant surprise this past season. I thought he would be a transfer who saw little to no PT. Man, was I wrong, and I am so glad he and his 300 lb girlfriend will be fine.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with you, there is a reckless intent when you get in the car drunk.

On an academic level, I find it interesting that the only difference between a DUI and a DUI homicide is 100% luck, yet the two crimes have drastically different sentences. There is nothing more emotional than a dui homicide sentencing, everyone loses

On a brighter note, TJ McCoy was probably the most pleasant surprise this past season. I thought he would be a transfer who saw little to no PT. Man, was I wrong, and I am so glad he and his 300 lb girlfriend will be fine.

I agree, I assumed he was a token legacy player that might not ever contribute.
Instead he immediately became the heart and soul of the O Line.

I guess we shouldn't have been surprised since he is clearly the kind of player SOS always wanted. " We want guys that want to be Gators." That describes TJ perfectly.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
If you're 80 years old and have the reaction time of an.... 80 year old and get behind the wheel is that intent?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you're 80 years old and have the reaction time of an.... 80 year old and get behind the wheel is that intent?

If you are 80 years old and you think you can drive in NASCAR, like a drunk driver typically does, then yes there is intent.
If the 80 year old drives with the caution required for that age, then no there is no intent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb