Todd McShay on UF job....

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014
just found it interesting. for four weeks of our lives we circled the wagons on this board posting anything that could remotely point to who we were going to hire. I always find the weeks after a hire just as interesting as the truth starts to leak out about the process and the players. Did not mean to throw gas on a dying fire.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
One thing that I like about you Dan, is that for sure you were a huge Mac pumper. But you did look at it objectively and as he deteriorated – you bailed. Long before many other “pumper” posters. I think some people would label you as a pumper. But I actually label you as probably a realist pumper.

There’s nothing wrong with higher levels of optimism as long as they are tempered with expectations.

I would never classify my hope for Mac to succeed as being a pumper. I didnt have a good feeling when he was hired but I hung onto the whole idea that he was the OC for two of bamas championships and was hopeful it would translate into winning here. The only thing I would say I was pumping was that I believed he would pull in a top recruiting class in year two. That didnt happen and I lost alot of hope afterwards. As for Mullen, I hated the thought of us hiring him. I wanted Frost or Kelly but am now glad we didnt land Kelly. I doubt he would have been here long if he did decide to take the job. Now, since there is nothing I can say or do to change it, I am trying my best to be on board and hopeful.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
McShay has no f'n idea who we offered and who said "no". I agree with him that many coaches may not want to deal with the stress of the SEC. There are a lot of programs that expect to win and be in the championship hunt. There 7 programs in the SEC (Bama, Barn, LSU, A&M, UF, UGA and UT) who all expect to be in the running for a championship. Right or wrong... that means if you can't get these programs to high level to compete then you aren't going to last long.

No other conference has that many teams expecting to be in the title hunt. The SEC is still the hardest conference.

I have to say I have been really warming up to the Mullen hire overall and this whole thing proves it more. I know McElwain applied pressure and didn't feel it and all that BS he tried to sell, but Mullen knows what this pressure is... I think he will embrace it and I am starting to really think he will succeed.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Who is Todd McShay? I have no use for ESPN other than actual game telecasts. I never watch their talking heads so their opinions are irrelevant and I doubt seriously that Todd (who?) McShay has any inside information. And isn't it strange that all this crap comes out after the fact. I get all the opinions and Gator news I need right here on Gatorchatter.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Saying, through intermediaries, "would you take the job at 5 mil x 6 years", isnt the same as offering the job.

Many people were contacted. I have no clue how many.

IMO only Kelly was actually "offered" in common parlance, they what he actually signed was likely a Memorandum of Understanding or Intent to Contract. Sometimes the actual "Offer" (the actual contract) isnt even finished for weeks, after the person is announced.

Technically, I supposed we could so no one else wasnt "offered", but only if you speak like a Clinton.

Correct.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well the Dooley article made me think Mullen was it all the time, but of course Dooley is in full Company mode now that the new King has been appointed. On the other hand I have never seen any evidence that McShay knows anything about anything not to mention about UF. Personally, I suspect that Dooley is right and Mullen was who they wanted all along and no one else was seriously considered.

Dooley is always in full company mode, you know once Dooley turns on a coach, it's when the AAU has told him it's ok.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Regardless of who contacted whom, or when something transpired during the search, one thing is crystal: Our top two choices, Kelly and Frost, didn't want to coach here. So we got the next best thing we could, and it's way, way better than the previous two.

Any other choice (including Frost) would be an experiment. And we've seen how that has turned out for us the past decade.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
There sure is a lot of pontificating from those that couldn't even get their stories right on the coaching search. So why would anyone give them weight now?

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I learned to discount anything McShay says, about anything, long ago. The guy's a saboteur (hates UF) and an arrogant, snot-nosed little hack. He is literally one of the last "sports journalists" I would rely on for a damned thing. Although I was disappointed when we seemed to whiff on Kelly, and apparently never had a real chance with Frost, I'm not buying the "Mullen was way down the list" crap this douche-monger is putting out as "fact." If anything, I think SS conducted a fairly reasonable "due diligence" approach to vetting several candidates, but that he was convinced that Mullen is the guy all along. He put on a good show for the yokels (us), and then wrapped up the one he really wanted before the mad scramble started this weekend. Time will tell if he got it right. However, I wouldn't believe much of anything coming out ESPN, and absolutely nothing this particular little schitt monkey says - especially anything pertaining to UF.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Fun fact: Helton was actually born in Gainesville, and his dad was a GA for the Gators.

His dad, Kim Helton, is a Gainesville Eastside grad, played for UF also.and coached at UF through the end of Dickey’s tenure in ‘78.

Kelly said he was never offered the job. He certainly merited the interview.

You have to mull these things over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.