Toney’s place in the offense

GatorSteve

Founding Member
Lounge Lizard
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Is it not crazy that Kadarius Freakin’ Toney barely touches the ball? Seems to me he would be deadly used like Harvin. We must get him the damn ball tomorrow!

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Something good happens everytime Toney, Pierce, and Perine touch the ball this year. They all need more touches.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I think we see more. Problem is the blocking isn't helping him. The don't block well on his read options and when we've tried screens to him the blocking gets blown up. See the screen to him last week where Lewis played El Matador. I think we could be more creative in ways to get him the ball though. Heck, give him a quick hitch or slant and leet him run and juke.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
My personal opinion is the lack of touches have been a result of the suspension. Either he wasn't completely installed in the offense just yet or he's still somewhat in the doghouse for whatever he did. Mullen is not an offensive idiot so I expect to see Toney more and more involved as the year progresses.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Last week he got the pass late, just as the roaring db was to flatten him. Seemed instinct, but Toney ducked immediately did a high-speed spin and would have had a breakaway if not for the gang tacklers' arrival.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I too think the suspension could be part of the reason. Two things. I think DM has simplified the offense to help FFS. Combine that with his suspension.....maybe DM is sending a message? But however you spin it. He needs more touches. And quit doing stupid crap to get in trouble.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
More likely, the happiness of successful football play + increased teammates' camaraderie gives best chance for his wanting acceptable behavior.??

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Traz, if you're right and Mullen is dense & blind, UF is gonna suffer by shooting itself in the foot - with blanks.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Having tunnel-vision like that cuts the likelihood of success down 90%. It's like Matisse deciding to master only the color red. ??

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Sad part is they look more competent when not in option. Hopefully it will all click tonight

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't watch a ton of MSU while Mullen was there, but you have to believe that with the right athlete(s) he has a package for that Percy type player. One of the things that made Percy so effective was when we'd go four wide and run off the secondary with three and bring Percy underneath over the middle. Once he had the ball in his hands in the level two space he was a threat to score or at least rip off some big gains. Having the whole field at your disposal is difficult for a D to adequately defend against a sub 4.4 athlete with moves.

Can Toney be that type player? I certainly think he has the speed and quickness. Seems like we see the ball his way toward the sidelines on pass plays, so I'd personally like to see more targets inside the hashes. I have to remember, however, that we've got more skilled playmakers than we've had in a while, or so it seems. If you average 70 snaps a game and you have about six receivers you want to hit, three backs plus your QB that get carries, the average is about seven touches/targets per player. If the QB is at 50% or so on completions, that cuts the receivers chances in half. Efficiency of the offense becomes a huge issue and OL play is also a factor. As we improve in these areas (and avoid those 44 snap games), Toney and others will find their niche and potentially shine. Getting to that point is key. Work in progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator