Toney is a bad man

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We have the weaponry leg-speed to run complex misdirection pulling OLs to open lanes for Toney, don't forget freshman Schwartz who broke Demps' speed record.?? Only CFB's worst OC could fail to capitalize on this across-the-board speed ... and that includes Franks and Zaire. BTW, anybody know Zaire and Franks 40 times?

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He will be what Powell never has been and what Massey never will be.

How do you know what Massey is?

People get so hyped up seeing the newest new guy do something exciting in Spring practice. He might be what Powell and Massey haven't yet been. ...and he might not.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'll say for the record that I hope he does really well and demonstrates that his athleticism and speed are indeed elite. I hope that he (as well as Massey and a host of others!) explodes onto the scene and are dynamic, game-changing playmakers.

...but I still think we need to slow our roll. Percy-like is a yuuuuuge compliment. Remember that this guy was not a highly rated recruit (which in this case matters more than ever because we're talking purely about athleticism) and the only 40 time I can find is a 4.69. In the spring game I didn't think he ran away from many people. He's got a lot of shake and, again, I'm hoping he kills it, but don't make him our savior and his success the metric by which we measure the coaches. They've got a hard enough row to hoe around here anyway.

29629742.jpg

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Percy was north-south and didn't wiggle too much. This guy is closer to Rainey IMO

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We're a fan base wandering in the desert... we see water and mirages from the depths of our playcalling despair... hope the kid does well and becomes part of something special... we're over due, Go Gators!

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We have the weaponry leg-speed to run complex misdirection pulling OLs to open lanes for Toney, don't forget freshman Schwartz who broke Demps' speed record.?? Only CFB's worst OC could fail to capitalize on this across-the-board speed ... and that includes Franks and Zaire. BTW, anybody know Zaire and Franks 40 times?
Best I can find, 4.92 for Zaire, when he was a recruit out of high school.

Hudl claims a 4.75 40 time for Franks...fwiw

Neither have real speed, but both may be agile enough to make moves if needed. I'd assume Zaire is more agile just by looking at what tapes are available out there, and I'd be willing to bet that Zaire 40 time is inaccurate.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Percy was north-south and didn't wiggle too much. This guy is closer to Rainey IMO
He's not a strong as PH1, and not as fast as CR, although he is a good combination of both. However, our o-line situation back then allowed those guys to get enough space to make things happen. I doubt they would of had near the same production in this decade.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
He's not a strong as PH1, and not as fast as CR, although he is a good combination of both. However, our o-line situation back then allowed those guys to get enough space to make things happen. I doubt they would of had near the same production in this decade.

Agree with most, but Percy would have gotten his regardless. He was an unreal talent.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Percy got to play as a true freshman. I believe Demps also got to play as a true freshman.?
We've got true freshman 4* WR Anthony Schwartz coming in on a football scholly who is similarly as speedy as Percy and Demps. Shwartz chose UF so he could play football and run track.. He runs a 4.34 40 and I'm sure he'll just get faster here. He's a football player (WR) and a track sprinter.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
How do you know what Massey is?

People get so hyped up seeing the newest new guy do something exciting in Spring practice. He might be what Powell and Massey haven't yet been. ...and he might not.
His tape and stats in high school and JC just don't impress me, Toneys do that's all, I hope Massey is a star, but I know Toney will be.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Percy got to play as a true freshman. I believe Demps also got to play as a true freshman.?
We've got true freshman 4* WR Anthony Schwartz coming in on a football scholly who is similarly as speedy as Percy and Demps. Shwartz chose UF so he could play football and run track.. He runs a 4.34 40 and I'm sure he'll just get faster here. He's a football player (WR) and a track sprinter.

Isn't Schwartz part of the '18 class?

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry, but I just don't have the faith in this offensive coaching staff to take full advantage of this kids athleticism. Probably comes in a couple times a game to run predictable wildcat run up the middle plays.
I agree. His biggest downside might be that he can throw some, which means the coaching staff is likely to run him out of the Wildcat - the worst formation in football, instead of utilizing him the way Meyer used Harvin.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But CUM did use Percy as a wildcat as a freshman.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, you know I would actually be pretty stoked if Nuss' was gone, and we procured a try and stop us mentality OC... just saying.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Isn't Schwartz part of the '18 class?

I stand corrected by CG. But that should be great 'cause he'll develop more speed and WR skills - maybe become a 5*?

This coming 2017 season will be Anthony Scwartz's senior year. He signed early with UF due to our nationally top tract & field coaching and noteriety. Since he committed to the Gators, he's been getting WR-coaching from the NFL N.E.Patriot coaches!! Our 2018 & 2019 Gators joining with our seasoned 2017 holdover Gators are gonna be a blast to watch. Patience will pay big dividends, even greater if we can replace Nussmeir with a wise OC. Hire a major program's established OC wizard out from a top tier competitive team, by paying him plenty more. By now we deserve a 5* OC.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Yet another example of why he needs to switch to wr. He's a waste at QB where, at most, he gets 3-4 snaps a game.
I agree. He needs to take Powel's spot. Maybe do some returns as well.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I stand corrected by CG. But that should be great 'cause he'll develop more speed and WR skills - maybe become a 5*?

This coming 2017 season will be Anthony Scwartz's senior year. He signed early with UF due to our nationally top tract & field coaching and noteriety. Since he committed to the Gators, he's been getting WR-coaching from the NFL N.E.Patriot coaches!! Our 2018 & 2019 Gators joining with our seasoned 2017 holdover Gators are gonna be a blast to watch. Patience will pay big dividends, even greater if we can replace Nussmeir with a wise OC. Hire a major program's established OC wizard out from a top tier competitive team, by paying him plenty more. By now we deserve a 5* OC.
Don't think Schwartz has committed yet - though he's predicted to (unless I missed some recent news).
Also, he recently got bumped up to a 4-star, so he'd have to make a HUGE leap to get that 5th star.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Two questions.

1. Can Toney catch? I'm assuming, being the talent he is, that he was QB first and foremost throughout HS. I'm questioning if he a) knows how to run routes as opposed to reading them. And b) can he catch a ball thrown to near him? Meaning, does he have the toughness for being in traffic or covered on a route, knowing he has to 'go get' the ball when it is thrown in his area and be prepared to get hit as he goes for the catch? All this QB shake'n'bake is running at your defender and making instinctive cuts, not quite the same as precise routes nor expecting a hit.

2. Can Toney throw? We've seen his running skills, huzzah. All this talk about Wildcat is limiting his potential, and from a group of fans who claim our OC will limit him, why would we not see the other opportunities? Even if he can't run routes or catch in traffic, if we either line him up on the outside WR spot, or inside and motion him out to the flat - it creates an opportunity for an easy catch where his running skills can be applied against half the defense instead of the full field. Moreover, if he can actually throw, you just screwed the defense as the DBs shift attention from the QB snap leading to a throw in the flat where you have to pick to stay in coverage against Toney's throw (if legit) or crash his running ability. Win-Win for the offense in this case. At a bare minimum, that threat of run/throw moving to one side of the field HAS to pull the defense and open up other things as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb