Toney is a bad man

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Two questions.

1. Can Toney catch? I'm assuming, being the talent he is, that he was QB first and foremost throughout HS. I'm questioning if he a) knows how to run routes as opposed to reading them. And b) can he catch a ball thrown to near him? Meaning, does he have the toughness for being in traffic or covered on a route, knowing he has to 'go get' the ball when it is thrown in his area and be prepared to get hit as he goes for the catch? All this QB shake'n'bake is running at your defender and making instinctive cuts, not quite the same as precise routes nor expecting a hit.

2. Can Toney throw? We've seen his running skills, huzzah. All this talk about Wildcat is limiting his potential, and from a group of fans who claim our OC will limit him, why would we not see the other opportunities? Even if he can't run routes or catch in traffic, if we either line him up on the outside WR spot, or inside and motion him out to the flat - it creates an opportunity for an easy catch where his running skills can be applied against half the defense instead of the full field. Moreover, if he can actually throw, you just screwed the defense as the DBs shift attention from the QB snap leading to a throw in the flat where you have to pick to stay in coverage against Toney's throw (if legit) or crash his running ability. Win-Win for the offense in this case. At a bare minimum, that threat of run/throw moving to one side of the field HAS to pull the defense and open up other things as well.

If he doesn't learn to catch, and catch well, he won't see much playing time other than maybe returning kicks and a few red zone wildcat packages imo.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
If he doesn't learn to catch, and catch well, he won't see much playing time other than maybe returning kicks and a few red zone wildcat packages imo.

Agree completely. He HAS to learn to catch to get decent playing time. But a good coach (some argue we don't have any) will utilize what he has and try to develop it to be more. I'm just looking for where Toney can start being applied.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
As to "can Toney throw?"....
2017-03-12-Franks-vs.-Toney-High-School-Stats_rtxe7y.jpg

Comparing two Gators quarterbacks as high school seniors. (Will Miles/SEC Country)

Senior year stats #1 is Franks and #2 is Toney. Notice the completion % & note accuracy is one of the complaints about Franks. This article is making a case for not dismissing Toney as QB. He describes Toney's footwork as being better than Franks. He described Toney making 3 reads before noticing how the DBs were dispersed and he "scrambled" for 47 yard TD.... Yds/Rush are impressive for both guys. Conclusion that I got was Toney can throw accurately on the run escaping the rush. DBs have that "freeze-thought" should I go deeper or come up after Toney's possible run? Let Toney come in with QB-plays not just predictable wildcats.
Mac has to find some stuff to shake loose a defense-confusing offense, if he's not gonna shake loose Nutsmired.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Two questions.

1. Can Toney catch? I'm assuming, being the talent he is, that he was QB first and foremost throughout HS. I'm questioning if he a) knows how to run routes as opposed to reading them. And b) can he catch a ball thrown to near him? Meaning, does he have the toughness for being in traffic or covered on a route, knowing he has to 'go get' the ball when it is thrown in his area and be prepared to get hit as he goes for the catch? All this QB shake'n'bake is running at your defender and making instinctive cuts, not quite the same as precise routes nor expecting a hit.

2. Can Toney throw? We've seen his running skills, huzzah. All this talk about Wildcat is limiting his potential, and from a group of fans who claim our OC will limit him, why would we not see the other opportunities? Even if he can't run routes or catch in traffic, if we either line him up on the outside WR spot, or inside and motion him out to the flat - it creates an opportunity for an easy catch where his running skills can be applied against half the defense instead of the full field. Moreover, if he can actually throw, you just screwed the defense as the DBs shift attention from the QB snap leading to a throw in the flat where you have to pick to stay in coverage against Toney's throw (if legit) or crash his running ability. Win-Win for the offense in this case. At a bare minimum, that threat of run/throw moving to one side of the field HAS to pull the defense and open up other things as well.
if you look at the O&B game, Toney seemed to have a pretty good arm. He had some good velocity on his throws, and I think he could be much more of a thrower than people are realizing right now. I know he threw for a TD in that game.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Comparing two Gators quarterbacks as high school seniors. (Will Miles/SEC Country)

Senior year stats #1 is Franks and #2 is Toney. Notice the completion % & note accuracy is one of the complaints about Franks. This article is making a case for not dismissing Toney as QB. He describes Toney's footwork as being better than Franks. He described Toney making 3 reads before noticing how the DBs were dispersed and he "scrambled" for 47 yard TD.... Yds/Rush are impressive for both guys. Conclusion that I got was Toney can throw accurately on the run escaping the rush. DBs have that "freeze-thought" should I go deeper or come up after Toney's possible run? Let Toney come in with QB-plays not just predictable wildcats.
Mac has to find some stuff to shake loose a defense-confusing offense, if he's not gonna shake loose Nutsmired.
From that graphic I'm guessing Toney rarely threw over 10yds.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

The stats are cute, but every team that saw Toney throw wouldn't even offer him a shot at QB, Auburn being one example. Guys like Bowl, Cardozo, de la Torre and Spivey that saw Toney throw chuckled. It was bad. I also think Will Miles article is a classic example of clickbait.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
The stats are cute, but every team that saw Toney throw wouldn't even offer him a shot at QB, Auburn being one example. Guys like Bowl, Cardozo, de la Torre and Spivey that saw Toney throw chuckled. It was bad. I also think Will Miles article is a classic example of clickbait.
I didn't hear any of those guys chuckling after the spring game. If the guy was 3 inches taller my money would be on him to win the job.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Cardozo, delatore and Spivey are clowns. Taggart offered Toney the keys at qb at Oregon. That's definitely a step up from Houston baptist.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Let's go down the list of qb's on our depth chart and look at what we have at wr then ask ourselves why would we rush this kid to play receiver.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Senior year stats #1 is Franks and #2 is Toney. Notice the completion % & note accuracy is one of the complaints about Franks. This article is making a case for not dismissing Toney as QB.
Toney playing a lot is one of the few things that might cause a slight bit of excitement for this season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So..... the guys who thought Provolone, Jacob Guy and Trash are the future.., those are the guys chuckling at Toney? Got it.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Several jock straps need to be picked up.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.