Tonight's impact on the rest of the season?

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
I'm hearing a variety of opinions, ranging from "tonight doesn't matter, let's move on to next week" to "we've got bad karma, we're screwed." I don't think the players have this "woe is me" attitude prevalent in many fans (myself included lol). I think the players will wake up healthy tomorrow, not dwell on this freak occurrence, and go on to immediately prepare for next week's opponent . . .

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's weather. But aggravating nonetheless.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We won't really know how much it'll matter until later in the season. What happens if we try and squeeze them in when we are "supposed" to have a bye week? What if a key player blows out a knee in a make up game against a crap team in late October?

OR, maybe playing a game instead of being off will be what we need. Who really knows??? I don't think we can yet. Although that makeup game against Tennessee in 2001 is coming to mind right now....

All I know is I am disappointed and think we got screwed by a screwed up rule. UF certainly shouldn't have to foot the bill for this craziness. We've been waiting a long time to see our Gators take the field. I'd sleep a lot better tonight if I got to watch'em clobber someone tonight. It's been too long since we "clobbered" anybody...

My teenage son and daughter were in Gainesville with their grandparents and are hugely disappointed. My son has a friend down there who was at his very first UF football game. And it got cancelled. I'm sure there will be a lot of disappointed people traveling I 75 tonight and tomorrow...

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n38805 said:
We won't really know how much it'll matter until later in the season. What happens if we try and squeeze them in when we are "supposed" to have a bye week? What if a key player blows out a knee in a make up game against a crap team in late October?

OR, maybe playing a game instead of being off will be what we need. Who really knows??? I don't think we can yet. Although that makeup game against Tennessee in 2001 is coming to mind right now....

All I know is I am disappointed and think we got screwed by a screwed up rule. UF certainly shouldn't have to foot the bill for this craziness. We've been waiting a long time to see our Gators take the field. I'd sleep a lot better tonight if I got to watch'em clobber someone tonight. It's been too long since we "clobbered" anybody...

My teenage son and daughter were in Gainesville with their grandparents and are hugely disappointed. My son has a friend down there who was at his very first UF football game. And it got cancelled. I'm sure there will be a lot of disappointed people traveling I 75 tonight and tomorrow...

What rule screwed us up? It's wet when it rains?

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
From what I saw on the one play, I am glad they decided not to play. As a former sports official, these kind of decisions are always very difficult when factoring in all of the people affected by the decision. However, the players come first and the conditions were not safe to start a game. They made the right call. And I say reschedule the game. Bye weeks often do more harm than good and to keep playing, on schedule and in the routine, would be a good thing. Just my two cents...

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think any reschedule will be determined by money. I don't know Idaho's financial state but I doubt if we would pay for them to come out . That would be one of the only impediments to a replay. And after cooling off a bit I do see Tally's point about player and fan safety, it would be a tragedy if someone go hit or killed by lightning. Kinda hope the coaches can get the team out tomorrow and get a little work in but don't know if the NCAA rules would go for it.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator;n38814 said:
I think any reschedule will be determined by money. I don't know Idaho's financial state but I doubt if we would pay for them to come out . That would be one of the only impediments to a replay. And after cooling off a bit I do see Tally's point about player and fan safety, it would be a tragedy if someone go hit or killed by lightning. Kinda hope the coaches can get the team out tomorrow and get a little work in but don't know if the NCAA rules would go for it.
I highly doubt that NCAA rules prohibit rescheduling a game for the next friggin day.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hey look on the bright side if we don't make a bowl again we can just make it up during bowl season.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n38820 said:
I highly doubt that NCAA rules prohibit rescheduling a game for the next friggin day.

You'd be surprised...look it up. There are travel rules and it would not surprise me a bit to find that some Sunday travel rule for football exists for the benefit of the student athlete.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n38823 said:
Hey look on the bright side if we don't make a bowl again we can just make it up during bowl season.
url-17.gif

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n38820 said:

They do have travel rules like Tally says. Also you have to factor in the logistics of the TV , Radio trucks, stadium workers ,cops, emts, etc, etc, etc. Not saying I'm happy about it, I'm also pretty sure Idaho would want to stay the night, does the hotel or hotels have rooms. It's not a simple thing unfortunately. I mean the NCAA and SEC rules are ridiculous and in a lot of cases show not one iota of common sense.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There are no NCAA rules prohibiting how soon you can reschedule a game. Any other sport will play the very next day.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TallyGator;n38824 said:
You'd be surprised...look it up. There are travel rules and it would not surprise me a bit to find that some Sunday travel rule for football exists for the benefit of the student athlete.
I did look it up and it's not a rule. UT is playing tomorrow (Sunday) and Miami is playing on Monday which is a damn holiday anyways. But yea there is no rule.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Knox, I never said there were. There are logistical problems and concerns to be overcome. As I said, TV , radio, satellite feeds etc. Referee's , employees , insurance the list goes on. I imagine the planning for the football games takes a good while to come together. Except for basketball, and that is on a much smaller scale than football, no other NCAA sports has the amounts of personnel to deal with. I wish it was being played tomorrow but there we are.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator;n38830 said:
Knox, I never said there were.

sonomagator;n38826 said:
They do have travel rules like Tally says.

Yea you did :lol:
And the amount of money that Florida is losing for this is well worth the headache to reschedule it for tomorrow or Monday.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure there were extreme logistics to work out with rescheduling the game for tomorrow. Much easier to just push it back to October 25. Sucks we lose the off week before UGA, but that's life.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We fit in use where we wanted to. Defense was stout and we moved the ball.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Knox I was responding to the comment about playing the next day, which is why my answer contained only references to the logistics of putting on a football game and have nothing to do with travel at all.I apologize if it was in fact not evident. And yes there are travel rules, now if they are NCAA or school rules that I don't know. I do know for a fact that for the military academies they have 1 day to come home that is, or I should was the rule in the early 80's when I attended VMI, I also have friends who have played at other service academies who were under the same limitations. I also have friends who played at state and private schools who had to be in class on Monday. Now I don't know if that still is in effect or if they've been loosened.I do think that Capn is younger than I and know he played , I believe in D2 so he would have more up to date info than I .

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
Knox I was responding to the comment about playing the next day, which is why my answer contained only references to the logistics of putting on a football game and have nothing to do with travel at all.I apologize if it was in fact not evident. And yes there are travel rules, now if they are NCAA or school rules that I don't know. I do know for a fact that for the military academies they have 1 day to come home that is, or I should was the rule in the early 80's when I attended VMI, I also have friends who have played at other service academies who were under the same limitations. I also have friends who played at state and private schools who had to be in class on Monday. Now I don't know if that still is in effect or if they've been loosened.I do think that Capn is younger than I and know he played , I believe in D2 so he would have more up to date info than I .
You went to VMI?? That's awesome! I grew up mostly in Lexington, family moved there when I was still pretty young (although that was the 90's). VMI recruited me and my two brothers pretty hard to play football there, but it just wasn't for us. Plus the fact they win like 2 games a year. :lol:

Great tradition there, though. Love that place.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
yeah I was there 10 or so years before you. I played soccer 1 year and rugby. Quit soccer because it got in the way of the training I was doing. Loved it there, beautiful area, and like you say the tradition is second to none.Loved the New Market rememberance every year. For some reason though I think the Queen would've loved to see you with the "rat" cut. And I can tell you the soccer team wasn't much better.lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator