t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
Jabberdave;n3244 said:
Only communists and Al Qaeda didn't like him.

I'm sure Gardner-Webb hates him for some reason.
He joined the dark side. I seen he joined gator country.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't know he was sick either. Chewing tobacco is a tough habit to kick . Prayers for his family.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great player, and aside of the tobacco use, a great role model.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
bradgator2 said:
Wow, very sad news. He was awesome. Chewing tobacco can do some pretty nasty damage to everything associated with the mouth. Surprisingly, survival rates for salivary gland cancer is pretty good. Especially if found early. (Like 90% 5 year survival for stage 1). But I cant find any specific details regarding his diagnosis.
I also heard it is one of the most gruesome ways to go. Very sad situation

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Very, very sad. He was an all-time great and probably the most underrated to play the game. Never heard a bad story about him. **** cancer

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gone way before his time. The cancer was from, of course, chewing tobacco. MLB has spent a fortune trying to implore young players not to indulge in that - as young as high school, and, of course, at the college level too. I just hope it's working, for the sake of all of those who play the game.

As per my profile, Fantasy BB is my #1 hobby - been doing it since 1990. Always tried to get him on my team - even though not a power hitter, you could always use his high BA, even in his later years. He was definitely one of the great ones - not just a great ballplayer, but great off the field, too. What we'd call in Yiddish a real "mensch." He will definitely be missed.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Whatever you think of Keith Olbermann, he does sports eulogies better than anybody I have ever heard. His Mickey Mantle piece is still the gold standard of those sort of things and his Gwynn segment on his show was excellent as well.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This was a tremendous account of the man from a guy who was a Padre Bat Boy in 1991.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator