Top 10 Positives About McElwain Going into Season 2

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
This time of year always gets me weary from reading all the off-season whine fest posts from all those who see nothing but negatives. (Isn't it funny how only the negative minded seem to be resistant to the natural waning of interest that comes during the off-season). This year, though, the negatives focused on coach Mac have been especially irritating so I figured I'd take a moment to focus on some positives, as I see them anyway, that have been demonstrated by coach Mac so far as he enters into preparations for his second season.

10. SEC East Crown in 1st season after a giant suck fest for 3 years: This should never be underestimated.

9. Held leads and even came from behind vs. all the 'come from ahead' losses over the years prior. This should never be underestimated either. We may have sucked on offense post Grier, but we held on to leads all year rather than continuing the trend for colossal chokes of the previous couple of years. We even seemed to have a game plan at the end of games that was focused on winning rather then not losing before we lost the guy who could throw.

8. Offensive talent recruited. Ivey and Callaway were especially great gets last year and early enrollees Hammond, Thompson and Swain looked good this Spring. (Hopefully Callaway plays again this year.:headslap:)

7. Offensive talent evident on field. I guess Muschamp kind of did us a favor by red shirting Grier since he groomed only Harris for the future and drove off all the other QBs on the roster. Even so, after so many years of the blandest offenses ever it was pretty amazing to see some playmaking ability on offense especially with using the TE and actually completing some deep balls (for half the year at least).

6. Maintained defensive prowess and increased late game delivery. Maintaining the defense during a coaching change is not an easy task, but not only were they able to do that but they were also able to make the defense more effective late in games when the years before they broke down under late game pressure.

5. Two deep on the offensive line for 2016: How the number of offensive linemen could have been allowed to deteriorate to the level Mac inherited is amazing to me. Thankfully Mac made this a priority to correct. (Muschamp is truly the best defensive mind of our age - he is so good he can shut down BOTH offenses!)

4. Solid use of transfers, graduate transfers and JC talent: Mason Halter was a huge contributor on the patched together offensive line last year and this year our starting QB and backup QB might be transfers and one of our top RBs a JC recruit.

3. Cultivated a culture of choices and consequences: This may be Coach Mac's biggest accomplishment to date because he seems to have everyone on board with a culture where he sets expectations, sets boundaries, and sets consequences for crossing those boundaries and then holds everyone equally accountable to the choices they make.

2. Huge number of early enrollees: 12 early enrollees is an extraordinary number and the majority are now expected to contribute right away. That cannot be underestimated in terms of the real contributing value of a recruiting class which goes far beyond star ratings.

And the Number 1 positive about Coach Mac going into season 2 is...

1. 2016 addition of multiple QBs that can throw and a kicker that can kick: Still amazed we were able to win the East when this was clearly NOT true for half the season with the former and all season with the latter.

So, what do you think? :popcorn:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Plenty to build on. We can finish 8-4 this year and be a 100% better over all team. Extended the streak to 12, and there is no reason to think we won't be back in ATL.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
My biggest positive about Mac is he is an excellent gameday coach.

1. Number 6 means little to me because if Mac doesn't hit some homeruns in recruiting this year, we'll have one of the worst defenses in the SEC in 2017.
2. We are NOT 2 deep when guys like Riles, Harkless and Mike are one injury away from significant playing time.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That was really well written. We should probably let some of our members write "articles".

Great job.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
it will depend on the O line when we play the better teams. Teams know a little now what he likes to do on offense. Missouri didn't make the same mistakes Old Miss did after watching tape but the 2nd year in the system should help in addition to the QB.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Super well composed GatorTom. Please, stay whine-weary ... GC needs more of you.
Post on, post on.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I would put he's not Will muschamp as probably his biggest positive

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I just think everyone wants to see us loaded again and plundering every village we stop at... impatience is a Gator fan trademark, lol. Nice take.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
So much positivity in one post....pace yourself, man, pace yourself!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Nice post. Some of it's sugar-coated, but still very good stuff.

Plenty to build on. We can finish 8-4 this year and be a 100% better over all team. Extended the streak to 12, and there is no reason to think we won't be back in ATL.

That's exactly right. If we finish 8-4 and are competitive in those 4 losses, I doubt anyone will be too upset. In fact, going into the off-season will likely be very positive (like Tennessee's off-season this year after the way they closed vs. our offseason w/ the way we closed). Getting blown out 3 games in a row and beating Vandy 9-7 and going to overtime vs. a 3-9 bottom feeder won't lead to a happy finish and offseason. Agree we can win the East this year...but could easily be 8-4. So as long as we continue to make progress....and have a good recruiting class, things will be good in Gainesville.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Number 6 means little to me because if Mac doesn't hit some homeruns in recruiting this year, we'll have one of the worst defenses in the SEC in 2017.

You don't have to have homeruns to have a good defense; Missouri is a good example of this.

Now do we need homeruns to keep at this elite level? Yes. Will we take a step back on defense in 2017? Likely..."one of the worst defenses in the SEC"? Hardly.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Nice post and very accurate. I think Del Rio is going to be very good at QB and the offense will be in good shape if the OL can be average.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
You don't have to have homeruns to have a good defense; Missouri is a good example of this.

Now do we need homeruns to keep at this elite level? Yes. Will we take a step back on defense in 2017? Likely..."one of the worst defenses in the SEC"? Hardly.

Right now, we will have only 2 defensive tackles (Clark and Bryan) for 2017. That is why I said what I said. By homeruns, I just mean quality bodies. Without depth we'll get worn out and run all over. So yes, I'm not being dramatic when I say we'll have a terrible defense. Mac needs to add at least 2 jucos and 2 true freshman at that position.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Although we won more games last year, we were no longer the top dog when it came to time of possesion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.