Recruiting Top Defensive targets in 2017 class

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Rex, there are only 300. If we get 25....then that means Bama's gonna get 30....and Ohio State will get at least 25....then FSU will get as many as we do....and UGA is usually right up there w/ us....and USC....and Clemson.....and LSU. By your math, the "Top 300" has 500 recruits?? Where did you learn math like that?
I'll find the breakdown for you. Let's just seperate it into 4/5 vs 3 star kids. There are some four stars that are fringe 250-300. Fair? I'm telling you that we've always taken MORE kids from the 4/5 pool than the 3 star.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
A handful is how many? You do realize that the bulk of our classes have always been from that 1-300 pool of kids. Why are you suddenly lowering the bar for this staff?

If we sign 11 HS defensive players, I'd say a "handful" is 4-6 (about half). That's realistic. Until we start winning again, why should we expect to pull in top 5 classes?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
We've always signed 50% or more of our recruits from the 4/5 star pool than any other tier.

We are having the same conversation twice. We should not lower our bar now. Mac just needs to work harder on and off the field. Hopefully, he gets that top 5 class he needs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Rex, there are only 300. If we get 25....then that means Bama's gonna get 30....and Ohio State will get at least 25....then FSU will get as many as we do....and UGA is usually right up there w/ us....and USC....and Clemson.....and LSU. By your math, the "Top 300" has 500 recruits?? Where did you learn math like that?
He's right. Move on. You look like a fool trying to defend this recruiting. We've had one staff in the last 40 years that has struggled with recruiting. Our probation classes were better.

Hope for better.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I just noticed 5* CB Shaun Wade's coach is former Gator Guss Scott. Is that MOM? I'm hoping that will help!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just noticed 5* CB Shaun Wade's coach is former Gator Guss Scott. Is that MOM? I'm hoping that will help!

Torian Gray has got us back into the picture with him. We'll see what happens.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think after we walk a few career scout teamers we'll take 22-23 in this class. Breakdown should probably be something like 9-10 offensive players leaving say 12-13 defensive players. I'd say 4 DT's, 4LB's and 4 DB's sounds about right. These coaches need to pick up the pace at LB and DT....And I have to agree with Law about Muschamp still being here, that damned DB list went on forever....:headslap:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I think after we walk a few career scout teamers we'll take 22-23 in this class. Breakdown should probably be something like 9-10 offensive players leaving say 12-13 defensive players. I'd say 4 DT's, 4LB's and 4 DB's sounds about right. These coaches need to pick up the pace at LB and DT....And I have to agree with Law about Muschamp still being here, that damned DB list went on forever....:headslap:
Seems obvious that we are very taking one or two DE's. Doesn't that upset the math?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Seems obvious that we are very taking one or two DE's. Doesn't that upset the math?
It would if were taking WDE/Buck type ends. I'm not sure we really need any of those type guys though. If we go to more 3 man fronts with 4 LBer's it gives us a lot of flexibility in blitzing because the QB doesn't know where or who will be coming versus always rushing the Buck on passing downs.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
It would if were taking WDE/Buck type ends. I'm not sure we really need any of those type guys though. If we go to more 3 man fronts with 4 LBer's it gives us a lot of flexibility in blitzing because the QB doesn't know where or who will be coming versus always rushing the Buck on passing downs.
You are saying that the DE's are included under your DT's?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You are saying that the DE's are included under your DT's?
As long as their not 230-240# rush ends. I'm thinking and hoping we build our defense around more of a 3 down front with a NT/DT and 2 DT/DE on the los. Situational DE who basically play standing up are ok now and then but offenses know that guy is coming hot more times than not. and a good QB will either roll away from the pressure or checkdown to avoid the rush. It also creates open running lanes on the inside which means you have to move a safety closer to the los putting more stress on the defensive backfield if the rush doesn't get to the QB...watch the LSU, Michigan and Bama games to see what I'm referring to.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The fact that we are not on the list for more of the top LBs and DTs definitely makes me worried. I am especially worried about the LBs because we are already extremely thin. The reality is we should be pulling in at least one stud LB every year. I definitely thought Shannon would be a great recruiter, but I'm not seeing it pay dividends yet. Hopefully we will have a great season and that will have a big impact.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
While I understand we are concerned about the DT/LB situation...

Not sure why you guys are down on the DB list...after this year depending on their year we will lose Tabor and Wilson leaving us with almost no one behind them. We need to load up on that position even moreso than DT/LB...although we need a lot of them also

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
While I understand we are concerned about the DT/LB situation...

Not sure why you guys are down on the DB list...after this year depending on their year we will lose Tabor and Wilson leaving us with almost no one behind them. We need to load up on that position even moreso than DT/LB...although we need a lot of them also

I disagree. We signed 6 DB's in this year's class. We only added 1 true DT in the last two recruiting classes, and only 5 LB's in the last THREE classes. Only 1 of those 5 is a true MLB unless one or two guys can add around 30 lbs. We'll be fine with just 3 or 4 DB's. We need at least 7 DTs and LBs combined.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree. We signed 6 DB's in this year's class. We only added 1 true DT in the last two recruiting classes, and only 5 LB's in the last THREE classes. Only 1 of those 5 is a true MLB unless one or two guys can add around 30 lbs. We'll be fine with just 3 or 4 DB's. We need at least 7 DTs and LBs combined.
The definition of DB is "WR who cant catch well". Since we obviously have many standing on the offensive side with nothing better to do than move to DB, I dont know why we need to recruit any more than 2 or 3 a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb