Recruiting Top Offensive targets in 2017 class

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
QUARTERBACK

171) Jake Allen: This Florida commitment has been committed since last summer and has shown no signs of wavering. He’s been actively recruiting for the Gators at every opportunity.

RUNNING BACK

71) Devan Barrett: Though he is listed as a running back by Rivals.com many schools are recruiting Barrett as an athlete. Early on Auburn and Florida seem to be the biggest threats to land his services.

136) Adarius Lemons: Despite his early commitment to North Carolina the Gators have continued to push for this Rivals250 back. He’s mentioned concerns about playing early with all the running backs in Gainesville, but this season he will look hard at how the Gators perform on offense.

WIDE RECEIVER

3) Trevon Grimes: This five-star recently named a top six that includes the Gators. Despite a narrowed list, it’s hard to bet against Ohio State at this time, especially if a decision comes sooner rather then later.

11) Donovan Peoples-Jones: This five-star wide out admits to growing up a Gators fan and has visited Gainesville twice in the past and has interest in coming back before the end of summer. He is the top target at the position for the Gators in 2017. Michigan is also a player as well.

22) James Robinson: This five-star was a once a heavy Clemson lean, but has since moved the Gators much higher on his list. In fact he named the Gators his leader earlier this spring.

44) Jerry Jeudy: This four-star pass catcher recently visited Gainesville for a few days. Alabama and Miami have been most mentioned most for Jeudy.

193) DaQuon Green: This Florida commitment recently turned heads at the Gators 7on7 camp this past weekend. He is very solid in his commitment to the Gators, but is still entertaining interest from a couple of other programs.

TIGHT END

194) Jimmy Jaggers: This west coast tight end received both an offer and a visit from the Gators earlier this spring. He plans to visit Gainesville on June 12-13th.

OFFENSIVE LINE

24) Walker Little: The Gators dropped by to check in on this newly named five-star earlier in the spring. To be frank, Florida has some work to do here though to be considered a legitimate candidate to land him.

26) Calvin Ashley: Despite his early commitment to Auburn, Ashley is still keeping his options open. He’s visited Florida quite a few times already. What happens if Auburn struggles this season with Malzahn’s seat warming up?

50) Tedarrell Slaton: Florida stopped by this four-star’s high school a couple times in the spring. The Gators are high on what Slaton can do, but Michigan seems to be the early team to beat.

51) Alex Leatherwood: Florida has been hard after Leatherwood in hopes of flipping him from Alabama. He’s visited campus many times in the past and the Gators will take part in a satellite camp at his high school later this month.

61) Kai-Leon Herbert: The Gators have been the team to beat here for many months, but Michigan has crept into the picture as of late. He was planning to make a commitment in the spring, but has since opted out for a late summer or fall announcement.

64) Robert Hainsey: This four-star recently narrowed his list of top schools down to 10, which included Florida. Though the Gators made the cut they have some work to do here. He last visited in the spring on an IMG Academy bus tour.

119) Cesar Ruiz: This is another lineman from IMG Academy that has Florida on his list of top schools. Much like Hainsey, the Gators have work to do if they wish to land Ruiz.

213) Kadeem Telfort: The Gators dropped in to see this four-star commitment twice in the spring. Despite maintaining he’s solid to the Gators that hasn’t stopped other programs from recruiting him. He aims to be on campus for a visit this summer.

225) Obinna Eze: Florida recently offered this Tennessee big man. He has yet to visit Gainesville.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks for posting (both of the lists) Marianna. Good to see the top targets.

I assume there are several targets (or Plan B's) that are not in the national top 250-300. Sure it's great to get recruits in the top 300, but realistically a large portion of the class won't be a top 300 kid.

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016
If we have a good season...we are in good shape to flip Lemons.

Wouldn't mind Barrett at RB or Safety... really good at both!

Wr- Give me J Rob, Daquon and DPJ (tough pull)

Funny this list doesn't mention Tre McKitty who is our top target at TE

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If we have a good season...we are in good shape to flip Lemons.

Wouldn't mind Barrett at RB or Safety... really good at both!

Wr- Give me J Rob, Daquon and DPJ (tough pull)

Funny this list doesn't mention Tre McKitty who is our top target at TE
I'm not sure Gamble wasn't our top target

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for posting (both of the lists) Marianna. Good to see the top targets.

I assume there are several targets (or Plan B's) that are not in the national top 250-300. Sure it's great to get recruits in the top 300, but realistically a large portion of the class won't be a top 300 kid.

Why is it unrealistic? The bulk of our classes have ALWAYS been from that pool of kids. It's not "great"...it is expected. There's no reason why we shouldn't. Especially, if we have another decent year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Why is it unrealistic? The bulk of our classes have ALWAYS been from that pool of kids. It's not "great"...it is expected. There's no reason why we shouldn't. Especially, if we have another decent year.

Rex, do the math. There are 300 "Top 300" recruits. How many are we supposed to get? I'd say 10 is doing really, really well. So if we sign a class of 24 and we get 10-12 top 300 that's a pretty good amount....and a large number of the class will not be in the top 300. Also, these are HS kids. Last class we signed 4 JUCO's (counting the Kicker). None of those kids are in the "top 300". So, my point is that it is unrealistic to think that the bulk of ANY recruiting class is going to be ranked in the top 300. Maybe Bama & Ohio State think that way, but we're coming off 6 years of mediocrity (including last year). So, again....it's not realistic to think the class will be filled with all/mostly top 300 kids. I'd love to land 10 or so and the rest be highly rated 3-stars that have camped w/ our coaches and been solidly evaluated by our coaches.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Rex, do the math. There are 300 "Top 300" recruits. How many are we supposed to get? I'd say 10 is doing really, really well. So if we sign a class of 24 and we get 10-12 top 300 that's a pretty good amount....and a large number of the class will not be in the top 300. Also, these are HS kids. Last class we signed 4 JUCO's (counting the Kicker). None of those kids are in the "top 300". So, my point is that it is unrealistic to think that the bulk of ANY recruiting class is going to be ranked in the top 300. Maybe Bama & Ohio State think that way, but we're coming off 6 years of mediocrity (including last year). So, again....it's not realistic to think the class will be filled with all/mostly top 300 kids. I'd love to land 10 or so and the rest be highly rated 3-stars that have camped w/ our coaches and been solidly evaluated by our coaches.

I've ran the numbers. They are on here year by year. Up until the last two years we always took more 4/5 star kids than 3 star kids. I did the math. So we're not splitting hairs would it be ok to include the four star kids that might be fringe 250-300 kids?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I've ran the numbers. They are on here year by year. Up until the last two years we always took more 4/5 star kids than 3 star kids. I did the math. So we're not splitting hairs would it be ok to include the four star kids that might be fringe 250-300 kids?

All I said was realistically, a "large portion" of the class will not be in the top 300. Right? Did I say over half? No. I said a "large portion". If we sign 25 kids and 11 are 3-stars, is that a "large portion"? I'd say so. I'm a realist. And if we can get 1 or 2 (of the 30) 5-star kids per class I'm happy. If we can get 10 or so 4-stars...and rest are 3-stars....I'm happy. Because if we get that many 4 & 5 stars, we likely have a top 10 class. That's realistic.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
All I said was realistically, a "large portion" of the class will not be in the top 300. Right? Did I say over half? No. I said a "large portion". If we sign 25 kids and 11 are 3-stars, is that a "large portion"? I'd say so. I'm a realist. And if we can get 1 or 2 (of the 30) 5-star kids per class I'm happy. If we can get 10 or so 4-stars...and rest are 3-stars....I'm happy. Because if we get that many 4 & 5 stars, we likely have a top 10 class. That's realistic.

4 star kids/total number of commits

2016 - 9/25
2015 - 5/21
2014 - 12/24
2013 - 14/29
2012 - 11/22
2011 - 11/19
2010 - 17/27

I copied and pasted that from a previous post. That's not even taking into account any 5 star kids in the class. The bottom line is that over 50% of our recruits come from 4/5 stars. It's always been that way. I don't see why would should lower the bar now.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
4 star kids/total number of commits

2016 - 9/25
2015 - 5/21
2014 - 12/24
2013 - 14/29
2012 - 11/22
2011 - 11/19
2010 - 17/27

I copied and pasted that from a previous post. That's not even taking into account any 5 star kids in the class. The bottom line is that over 50% of our recruits come from 4/5 stars. It's always been that way. I don't see why would should lower the bar now.

So, 40+% isn't a "large portion"?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
LOL. Well, I'm thinking that that we are both right then. If you added the five stars to those numbers you'd see it push even higher. Semantics. Just an FYI, in 2007 20 out of 27 kids were four or five stars. Crazy. We had 2/3 five star kids in '12 which pushes that number to 14/22 who were considered blue chippers. That's 63%.

Older but amazing article:
http://www.footballstudyhall.com/20...gs-right?_ga=1.118697677.592917955.1464300185

Pure math and hard to argue with those numbers. My favorite part:

The massively hyped, five-star recruit headlining your team's next recruiting class may be an irredeemable bust; he is also many times more likely than a scrappy three-star to pan out as an All-American and move on to the next level. Somewhere, an under-scouted afterthought with a chip on his shoulder will almost certainly go on to defy the odds, become a star and maybe win the Heisman Trophy. But that doesn't change the odds, which are against him becoming anything more than an obscure role player, at best. Inevitably, a team full of afterthoughts at the bottom of the rankings will defy the odds, catch fire, pull a few upsets and storm its way into a BCS bowl. But that doesn't change the odds, which are in favor of the same team dwindling on the edge of bowl eligibility. And just as inevitably, the eventual national champion will emerge from the ranks of the handful of teams that consistently come on signing day.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
And for some perspective...

Total number of 3 stars recruited over the last 4 years(includes 2016)

Bama 27
FSU 29
UF 47

Sobering.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
And for some perspective...

Total number of 3 stars recruited over the last 4 years(includes 2016)

Bama 27
FSU 29
UF 47

Sobering.
But our 3 stars are better than theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members