Traeger

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone got one? Pros? Cons?

I didn't want this lost in the BBQ thread but I'm seriously looking to invest in one. They're running a great price for Thanksgiving.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have never used a pellet smoker.
but before you buy an offset smoker, there are numerous models on the market that are really inefficient, most of them are cheaper smokers like the offset i have (charmglo). i realize the traeger is a quality unit. If i had it to do over again, i wouldn't have gotten the charmglo.. there are numerous forums with numerous threads about how to modify them to perform better. I have done the mods and still dont like it. Again im sure the traeger has no problems but it better to go into that knowing as much a you can.
I'm old school . I grill and smoke everything on a 30 year old weber 22" dome grill. It aint sexy but cooks and smokes like a bytch.
heres one link on modifications

https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...-firing/offset-smoker-and-barrel-smoker-setup

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I bought one. I'd like to thank everyone for the help and support. A lot of valuable feedback provided in this thread.

I plan on cooking Christmas dinner on it. We'll see how it goes.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry I didn’t see the thread. The traeger is easy. Set it and forget it. Come back later and enjoy tasty meat.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry I didn’t see the thread. The traeger is easy. Set it and forget it. Come back later and enjoy tasty meat.
Do you use an extension cord with it? I was hoping to have it farther away from my house and I only have one plug to use.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Don't plan on searing meat with the Traeger. Think of it more like an oven. If you want to sear a steak, do it in a super hot pan first before throwing it on the grill. Better yet, put a cast iron pan in the oven at 500 and cook the whole steak in there. But for ribs and stuff that you want to slow cook, the Traeger works great.

Change the foil on the drip pan often. Once it gets a little build up of drippings on it the heat doesn't reflect as well. Also, when you start the grill, leave the lid open until the fire is going.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't plan on searing meat with the Traeger. Think of it more like an oven. If you want to sear a steak, do it in a super hot pan first before throwing it on the grill. Better yet, put a cast iron pan in the oven at 500 and cook the whole steak in there. But for ribs and stuff that you want to slow cook, the Traeger works great.

Change the foil on the drip pan often. Once it gets a little build up of drippings on it the heat doesn't reflect as well. Also, when you start the grill, leave the lid open until the fire is going.
Thanks. Very grateful for the tips.

I just completed my initial burning to season the grill. I'm going to test run on a pork shoulder roast today. It's about 4 lbs. but look tiny compared to this grill.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Total fail on the first cook. Not sure if it was me, the grill, or the meat? Unfortunately, the result was thrown away.

Cooked a pork shoulder per recommendation of the included Traeger Cookbook. It recommended 1.5-2 hrs. per pound at 225 until the internal temp reached 190. I had a 3 lbs. roast and cooked for 6 hours. It got to 110 before I cranked it up in temp. 2 more hours and it only reached 160. Took it off, thinking my thermometer might be bad. Let it rest.

It wouldn't tear apart. It could cut like a loin but certainly not pulled pork. And yep, still some bloody inside. Threw the whole damn thing out. Went to In-&-Out.

JimtheGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you haven't yet, check out www.amazingribs.com - Meathead knows his stuff. If I remember correctly, there is an article on the "stall" that you experienced with your butt.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
pork butts/ shoulders have always taken me way longer to cook than any suggested time ice ever seen... figured out that i had to smoke it least 14 hours and started doing them the night before so it was ready the next day and always pulled apart perfectly and not dried out.

CaseyGator

Ox’s Favorite Poster
Sep 13, 2016
All of this talk about meat makes me feel like there’s a “that’s what she said” joke in here somewhere.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, cooked for our family on Christmas Eve. Standing Rib Roast on the Traeger.

Prep: 7 lb. Prime cut. Made a mix of 3 sticks of butter w/ equal parts of fresh rosemary, basil, tarragon & thyme. Slathered and set in fridge over night. Got Traeger 450, put the roast on and set to 225 for 5 hours. Below are the before and afters.

TheAlumni

Oct 29, 2017
Grills and grilling are like whiskey and beer, more choices than you can sometimes comprehend, but learn as much as you can and go for it...personally I don't criticize anyone's choice, for me that was to go with a Kamado style grill.....the most well know is the Big Green Egg, but they're many other competitors, like Kamado Joe, Vision, Akorn, etc....choices for every size are price range are available.

My choice was for the Kamado Joe Classic from Kamado Joe...it looks exactly like the Big Green Egg except it's red instead of green...

Most Kamado style grills are heavy thick ceramic egg shaped grills with a domed lid with a lower vent and upper vent...

A few of the things that caused me to go with a Kamado style grill, no lighter fluid, natural lump charcoal only.

Versatile cooking, you can cook at temperatures as low as 200 degrees and up to almost 1000 degrees......at 200 degree you can cook beef brisket, pork butt, ribs etc....I've cooked brisket that took 14 hours to cook and could have gone for 18 hours at 225 degrees

Efficiency, a large bag of natural lump charcoal will last for a good number of cooks if you shut down the grill after each cook which puts out the fire and you reuse the leftover...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.