Trask breaks foot running trick play in practice

If you had to choose one, which would it be?

• Coke

Votes: 94 79.0%
  • Pepsi

Votes: 25 21.0%

• Total voters

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
EJ probably only knows about 10% of the playbook. EJ has probably only got 10% of the snaps. That isn't something that you just overcome with talent at the college level ... peewee football, yes ... college, no. Any good DC, and Muschamp is a decent one, will sniff that ****e out and shut it down within about 2 possessions.
I'm still not sure the Chump was ever a good DC. He was a decent defensive recruiter.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I'm still not sure the Chump was ever a good DC. He was a decent defensive recruiter.

Couldn't disagree more with you. The defenses he coordinated, coached, recruited ... and so on ... were top notch defenses stocked with talent and coached pretty damn good. That is about all the credit I will ever give the man because the rest he did kinda sucked. And the rest is what separates a good DC from a good HC.

But, to my point that you maneuvered right around, he is a good enough defensive coach to know how to shut down a one trick pony offense led by a true freshman.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
No worse than watching Leak run it. Neither is a great runner.

I dont know about you guys, but I didn't mind watching Leak run.

chris-leak.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Couldn't disagree more with you. The defenses he coordinated, coached, recruited ... and so on ... were top notch defenses stocked with talent and coached pretty damn good..
He recruited two positions, DB and mini Ends/hybrids.

He was terrible at DT and ILB.

His stats have always been inflated by his throwing temper tantrums if the offense doesnt run a burn the clock scheme.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
He recruited two positions, DB and mini Ends/hybrids.

He was terrible at DT and ILB.

His stats have always been inflated by his throwing temper tantrums if the offense doesnt run a burn the clock scheme.

How does one inflate defensive stats by throwing temper tantrums? Just curious, because I dont think it works that way.

Regardless ... I think he will be good enough to shut down a Jones led offense this coming Saturday ... which was my point before all you guys got butthurt because I didn't say Muschump or some other form of code word to stroke y'all's hate. For the record ... I dont like him and glad he isn't our coach anymore. He sucked.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
The signing day after the ga. Southern beatdown muschamp stood at the podium and said after missing on his top two LB recruits, he just didn't see one he liked. So he signed none. That's a special kind of stupid right there.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Limping to the finish line for the sixth straight year just sucks. I say we start Toney and try to beat Chump without throwing a single pass. That’s worked before. Seems our best option at this point.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I dont know about you guys, but I didn't mind watching Leak run.

chris-leak.jpg
He didnt win that by running.

In fact, I have great doubts you were a fan back then. You obviously didnt actually watch the season.

BTW Im a huge Chris Leak fan. Not a fan of wasting talented QBs by making them run option.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Limping to the finish line for the sixth straight year just sucks. I say we start Toney and try to beat Chump without throwing a single pass. That’s worked before. Seems our best option at this point.
That is exactly what Chimp wants. His MO is load the box on 1st and 2nd to stop the run then blitz the buck on third.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Couldn't disagree more with you. The defenses he coordinated, coached, recruited ... and so on ... were top notch defenses stocked with talent and coached pretty damn good. That is about all the credit I will ever give the man because the rest he did kinda sucked. And the rest is what separates a good DC from a good HC.

But, to my point that you maneuvered right around, he is a good enough defensive coach to know how to shut down a one trick pony offense led by a true freshman.

Outside of DB and Fowler, he never replaced any of his 2011/12 defensive talent with the same or better. And no future years' defensive teams were ever as good as those first two years. He steadily declined from there. We were undersized up front, had fillers at LB and routinely played undisciplined football. He also completely skewed the stats by having such a putrid offense that opponents were content scoring a few points and then shutting their offenses down.

To your last point, I agree. He's a good DC that can at times shut things down. My thoughts in the Game Thread were to throw some wrinkles at him in the second half. He's usually decent at making halftime adjustments. But I think we can win straight up, and work in different looks in the 3rd and 4th, if need be, where he won't have the time to adjust.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
He didnt win that by running.

In fact, I have great doubts you were a fan back then. You obviously didnt actually watch the season.

BTW Im a huge Chris Leak fan. Not a fan of wasting talented QBs by making them run option.

Been a fan since mid-70s.

I watched as much of the 2006 season live as I could, but did get to watch every single game by dvd sent to me while I was in Iraq. RayGator from GC sent the videos to me and I am always grateful for it. So, I probably watched more than you did and with much more enjoyment since it took me away from the present.

You are rightt ... he didn't win it by running. In fact, he lost some first downs because he slid too soon or ran out of bounds too soon and it frustrated the crap out of me. But in the end ... he did what he needed to do, which was what Mullen asked him to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.